Prospect Info: All-Purpose Caps 2016 NHL Draft Thread

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Patrick Laine for 2016 1st, Burakovsky, and Bowey or 2017 1st

Generational talent that can follow right behind Ovi for years to come, do it

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Laine is not a "generational talent." Not even close.

Why not?

Just asking out of curiosity, to be honest. I don't think he's either, but he does have very intriguing resume from this season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You have to assume a player isn't generational until it's not in question. Laine doesn't in part project to be there because his skating isn't phenomenal. I think he can be a franchise winger but generational? Was Kovalchuk? I don't think so. He's stouter than Kovalchuk but doesn't have his speed. Winnipeg is a good spot for him because when on (esp. at home) they play fast and that movement should free up space for him and his shot.

No way you'd trade Backstrom for Laine at this stage because you're not replacing Backstrom in UFA. You might as well trade Ovechkin as well and begin the rebuild in earnest.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why not?

Just asking out of curiosity, to be honest. I don't think he's either, but he does have very intriguing resume from this season.

Because generational talents come once or twice in a generation, and Laine isn't even the consensus #1 in his own draft class.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lefty D Dennis Cholowski seems to be a real riser. A number of media mocks lately have him included in their first round and a few scouting services also have him in their top 30. He doesn't fit their profile so much all-around but he probably deserves more mention among the LD options nonetheless.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McKeen's final top 30. Cholowski at 18 ahead of Fabbro. Bold but there's a real case to be made the former has greater offensive upside. Fox & Kyrou are a bit aggressively ranked for me. McLeod seems a bit high and Brown & Bellows too low. Otherwise not bad. I doubt Fabbro falls within range for the Caps to move up but as-is moving up for Rubtsov is probably going to remain my #1 hope for this draft. Either that or, if they stay put, for all of Gauthier/Stanley/Thompson to be off the board and push someone down.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
McKeen's final top 30. Cholowski at 18 ahead of Fabbro. Bold but there's a real case to be made the former has greater offensive upside. Fox & Kyrou are a bit aggressively ranked for me. McLeod seems a bit high and Brown & Bellows too low. Otherwise not bad. I doubt Fabbro falls within range for the Caps to move up but as-is moving up for Rubtsov is probably going to remain my #1 hope for this draft. Either that or, if they stay put, for all of Gauthier/Stanley/Thompson to be off the board and push someone down.

My dark horse pick in the theme of the capitals taking someone generally slotted for the second round in the late first: Jonathan Dahlen. Happens every year but I start to get a bit 'meh' on the end of the first round prospects and a little more intrigued by upside/homerun potential in the 2nd round, etc..

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Larry Fisher Mock: http://thehockeywriters.com/5th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2016-team-results/

26) Vitaly Abramov (RW/C, Gatineau, QMJHL)

117) Josh Anderson (LHD, Prince George, WHL)

145) Otto Koivula (LW, Ilves Jr., Finland)

147) Ivan Kosorenkov (RW, Russian U18 Team)

177) Egor Babenko (LW, Lethbridge, WHL)

207) Vladislav Sukhachyov (G, Russian U18 Team)

TOTAL: 6 (2 RW, 1 LHD, 2 LW, 1 G)

ANALYSIS: The Capitals go high skill aside from Anderson, a safe stay-at-home defenceman. The rest of Washington’s picks here could turn out really good or really bad. Probably a bit of both.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Holy Euros. I don't think I could go European at 26 aside from Rubtsov or Asplund. It's a steep drop to their fourth round pick and it's not an incredibly deep draft overall so at 26 they can't really afford to miss. If they're not completely sold on someone then trade down and get another bullet, esp. if they can add another top 60 pick or so.

Anywhere in the 50-60 range or thereafter I'd take a chance on Sokolov. I liked his game coming into the season but the skating/conditioning concerns are legit. Maybe he turns it around with pro guidance but Sudbury's a tough spot for him developmentally and as-is he really doesn't fit the speed profile much at all. He can finish, yes, but absent massive improvement he's still very much a project pick. I'd have to think they'll want more of a fast-tracker at 26.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Many of you sound like Asplund could be available for us, right?

Being good swedish 2-way guy is better than enigmatic russian?
I mean, there is one certainity with modern russian players: they have holes in their game. If that guy Rubtsov has holes - he won't be 3C. So he'll be winger.

Asplund > Rubtsov plz

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Trade down to ~35 and add another late 2nd (~50). Select Lucas Johansen and Markus Niemelainen.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Rubtsov is the most complete Russian center prospect since...Malkin? He can do it all.

The draft should open up in the early 20's but within that next group there may be just enough strong value to warrant staying put. It makes sense IMO to only not drop back if there's a clear BPA there, assuming a worthwhile offer is made. There are 25 players I'd consider clear first rounders so you'd think at least one will be there to select but that assumes they value players like Laberge, Asplund, Gauthier and maybe Cholowski over the rest of the pack. They could drop back as far as 40 and still get a pretty decent value talent like Pu, Lindgren, Anderson, Grundstrom or maybe take a chance on Benson. Around 60 seems like another tier but something like Pu or Lindgren and Matsson, Sokolov or Day could be an appealing value package compared to, say, just Asplund or Gauthier.

Some trade down options:

Boston: 29/49
Toronto: 30/31/57/72
Edmonton: 32/63
Columbus: 34/65
Calgary: 35/54/56/66
Arizona: 37/53/68
Montreal: 39/45/70
Carolina: 43/50/67/74/75

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Damien Cox mock has Stanley going at 10! Ahead of Chychrun. Bold strategy. Just so long as he's off the board at 26...

He has the Caps going with Asplund at 26, which I'd guess you'll probably see a lot more of in the next week.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Motor is more of a term used for forwards so maybe LW Boris Katchouk or C Brett Howden, a couple of Canadian forwards. There's a case to be made that Howden may have more upside than Asplund. Howden may not have his playmaking ability but he's bigger, thicker and maybe a bit more natural a goal scorer. Both Katchouk & Howden are players that realistically could be fast-tracked into a third-line role in as soon as a year and from there maybe be able to plug higher in the lineup as they mature. Both should be able to play in all situations.

Max Jones may be the closest to that sort of player in terms of snarl and physicality this year but he should be off the board. Snarl is a bit overrated in today's game I think but certainly a high motor along with the hockey IQ to create off of it is an element the Caps core group of forwards could use. Rubtsov would be another one that has the mature motor and instincts combo typically found in the best two-way centers. I'd run to the podium if he's still available.

I'm not sure Katchouk or Howden present quite enough upside to warrant selection at 26 over, say, a quality two-way LD prospect like Johansen that would become a more valuable piece if all goes well. Overall outside of someone falling or maybe Laberge there's a case to be made that the highest upside player among the next group could well be a LD.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I've seen Rubtsov's name a lot and some say he's the best 2 way Russian since Malkin. Is he that good and what's his status for next year? AHL eligible or is he going a different route?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->