Prospect Info: All-Purpose Caps 2016 NHL Draft Thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I've seen Rubtsov's name a lot and some say he's the best 2 way Russian since Malkin. Is he that good and what's his status for next year? AHL eligible or is he going a different route?
He's that good. It's conceivable had he played in the U18s he would have garnered top ten consideration. As-is I'd take him over Jost, who typically gets ranked in the 11-15 range. I'll be surprised if one of DET/NSH/PHI doesn't take him at 16/17/18. From there if he slipped all the way to Dallas a pick ahead of them, would they take Samsonov for that pick? A remote possibility but something worth considering.

There was a report that he'd go to the CHL next season but I don't believe it's been confirmed. Either way he'd be eligible to join the AHL early since he didn't play in the CHL this past season.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
He has the Caps going with Asplund at 26, which I'd guess you'll probably see a lot more of in the next week.

Would rather have Dahlen if they go with a Swede. About Rubstov, do they have the ammo to trade up? No 2nd, no 3rd, so who/what could they add in a potential deal?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Would rather have Dahlen if they go with a Swede. About Rubstov, do they have the ammo to trade up? No 2nd, no 3rd, so who/what could they add in a potential deal?
There's their second rounder next year but not much overall and that spick likely doesn't move them up very far. They probably have more assets to flip straight across between Samsonov, Johansson and Orlov (even if the later two go counter to a clearly linear win-now approach).

Grundstrom maybe shouldn't be discounted either among the Swedes given their interest in a Ward type winger and there being some similarities at times to him or someone like Hornqvist. But both he and Dahlen may be trade back sort of candidates since there's less first round buzz with them it seems compared to Asplund.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Welcome aboard the Dahlen train. Free goat cheese and lemon drops.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Grundstrom maybe shouldn't be discounted either among the Swedes given their interest in a Ward type winger and there being some similarities at times to him or someone like Hornqvist. But both he and Dahlen may be trade back sort of candidates since there's less first round buzz with them it seems compared to Asplund.

I like Grundstrom too, seems like a safe, fast track prospect.

Not sure about the value at 26, but I've seen him ranked in that 25-40 range so i wouldn't be mad

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That top 21 seems fairly prevalent in most mocks (and McKenzie has alluded to something similar it seems). No Tufte in his first round, though. After that top 21 I go Tufte, Laberge, Asplund, Johansen or Howden. That's the best of the rest IMO with at least one assured to be there outside of that top group. A couple of wildcards being Cholowski should they believe in his ultimate upside and just how high the likes of Stanley and Thompson go to leave more among that group of five.

It seems like an easier decision should one of those top 21, Tufte or Laberge still be there. After that I could see them going in so many different directions. I like RA, LJ & BH the most among the rest mostly due to positional scarcity, maturity, high floor and considerable upside. But after Samsonov it's fair to say they'll stick to their board and projections no matter what so I guess we can't rule out DeBrincat or Abramov if they believe in them. I just wonder in addition to not picking again until 117 whether it's a good idea to introduce even less size into what's already a fairly small forward prospects group. It's also why Cholowski probably shouldn't be ruled out entirely due to upside because although raw he seems to represent the new school of possession defenseman (Dineen too despite some physical immaturity).

They haven't traded back in a long time but if there's not a clear BPA they should consider it. A pick in the mid-to-late 30's and another in the 50's/60's could represent not just more value but more ELC contributors when they're likely to need them most in the coming years.

Last edited:

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
3 Round Mock Redux starts drafting today and still missing an owner for your team...if anyone's interested comment on it or pm me please!!!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Washington Capitals Draft Guide. Let's see what sort of eyeballs we get here...among the trends listed in the guide they mention eight straight drafts that have included a trade when it seems to go back eighteen drafts now (since 1998).

(HT to NHL trade tracker.) There's a big gap between 2000 and 2008 in the guide when quite a few trades were made at the draft over the years. In 2007 they traded down three times starting in the first round in a deal with the Sharks moving up for Nick Petrecki and then a couple of more, one of which would net the pick used the following season on Holtby). In 2006 they dealt a fifth for a fourth the following season. In 2005 they packaged two seconds to move up into the first for Joe Finley. In 2004 they dealt a third for a third in the following draft. In 2003 they swapped ninth rounders (back in the days when those existed). In 2002 they moved up to select Alexander Semin with the 13th pick. In 2001 they swapped a second rounder for a second rounder the following draft. Then the draft guide picks back up with 2000 and 1999. In 1998 they again traded down moving a third for two fourths and a fifth. There's another in 1996 but the streak does indeed seem to start with the '98 draft.

The guide also mentions eight straight drafts now selecting a European player.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McKenzie's draft rankings show on now. Rubtsov @ 23.

Top 80: http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

Five LD ranked between 21-30. Asplund @ 31, Laberge @ 32. Dineen surprisingly low at 72.
Those 20 prospects, at least in terms of determining consensus, came out a notch ahead of the rest of the 2016 draft class. Again, that isn't to say big Minnesota high school forward Riley Tufte at No. 21 or towering 6-foot-9 Windsor defenceman Logan Stanley at No. 22 or strong two-way Russian centre German Rubtsov at No. 23, for example, couldn't crack the top 20. It's just that there's a much broader base of support for those players ranked in TSN's top 20.

Even though there are four "layers" within that top 20, there could be some prospects moving up or down a layer. There seems to a relatively high degree of subjectivity this season, which could lead to some teams picking in the top 20 to eschew the "best player available" mentality for filling a positional need.

It would also be fair to say that perhaps from Nos. 20, certainly 25 anyway, through to almost 50, there's a high degree of interchangeability. That's especially true of prospects ranked from 25 to 35.

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
some mocks

Woodlief:

26. Washington — Tage Thompson, center. He’s 6-5, and he’s the son of a former NHL player and current coach. Has the size and hands, but still needs to grow into his body.

CBS:

26. Washington Capitals

Rasmus Asplund, C/W, Farjestad (SHL): With a number of good options remaining in this slot, the Caps can go in a variety of directions. However, after not taking any forwards in last year's draft, Asplund may be their best bet here. Though his numbers in Sweden's top pro division were underwhelming, his two-way ability and offensive skill set make him an intriguing prospect. The Caps don't need him to rush to to the NHL either.

Adam Kimelman (NHL.com)

Washington Capitals - Lucas Johansen, D, Kelowna (WHL)

The Capitals need to add some young defensemen to their organization and there's no better place to find one than Kelowna, which has produced, among others, Weber, the Chicago Blackhawks' Duncan Keith and Tyson Barrie of the Colorado Avalanche. Johansen (6-1, 175), the younger brother of the Predators' Ryan Johansen, excels at using his skating to attack offensively and defend.

SBNation

Washington Capitals, via Japers' Rink, select forward Alex DeBrincat.

The Hockey Writers

26. Washington Capitals: Rasmus Asplund, C, Färjestad BK (SHL)

Asplund is one of the youngest players in the Sweden Elitserien League (SHL). He was impressive at the World Juniors, putting his speed and outstanding hockey IQ on display.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Think I'll start the Janne Kuokkanen train :laugh:. Expect them to go with a Dman or two-way forward from the Dub
Kuokkanen's U18 highlights are very impressive, even if he did play a portion of it alongside Puljujarvi. He's ranked 43rd on McKenzie's rankings but given how wide open it gets he could easily go higher.

Rubtsov is the wild card but, again, I'll be surprised if he makes it all the way to 26. While the draft opens up considerably at around 20 I've got to believe someone between 21 and 25 steps up and takes him, if he even falls that far. If not it's an easy choice.

Gauthier and Tufte are the two other forwards that probably should be off the board but could still be there due to how raw they are in some areas. Otherwise my short list of likely candidates has narrowed to Laberge, Asplund, Howden or Katchouk up front, Cholowski or Johansen at LD. That seems way too Canadian to be accurate, though.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Tage Thompson is the son of former Hershey Bears player and current Bridgeport Soundtigers HC Brent Thompson.

He seems like a huge project pick based on a lot of the profiles I've dug up and that doesn't bode well for a 1st rounder.

I'm hoping the BPA is a C or LD. They seem to be the two glaring holes in the Caps prospect pool

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Asplund may stick at center, which is a pretty big distinction. I don't know that Asplund has considerable goal-scoring upside and maybe not even great scoring-line upside ultimately. But he is smart and his defensive play is well regarded. Still, combine some upside questions with him being an inch shorter than Johansson and really needing to bulk up and it's hard to figure that he's a prime fast-track candidate. He's more of a two years and let's see kind of player, which could pay off if they're patient. With 19/92 in the fold they don't necessarily need a massive upside center and he does have some skill to him so maybe it's a fit and a wise positional investment.

There's a case to be made at least but there also is for Laberge, Cholowski and Johansen from an upside standpoint. They all may be two years away as well in needing to fill out, though one huge season may be enough for Laberge if his defensive game matures. Katchouk might be the most advanced at this point and if you're not concerned about upside relative to alternatives he might even be off the board by 26. He's a very complete middle six LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad