All-purpose Bylsma/coaching discussion thread

ObsessedCreative*

Look some of the individual blame lies on current hot topic whipping boys like, MAF, Letang, Scuds, etc but how can people not see that this whole mess started when Dan Bylsma got to use and implement his "system" 100%!?!

We went from MAF stealing huge playoff games and series in 08-09 to being the laughing stock of the NHL playoffs.

We go from seeing a young, super talented, and exciting (learning BUT progressing) D-man in Letang, turned into a temper tantrum babie, who plays like a chicken with his head cut off.

Scuds who had built his rep of being a solid, steady d-man, you never had to worry about, who helped two teams win a cup as a pivitol piece, turned into this minus machine who just looks awful.

Then you have guys like Z who had also had a solid reputation, turned into a MESS while on this Dan Bylsma coached roster, later to be returned to a non-Pejorative Slured defensive system, and their play return to great form.

We saw what happened to Martin under Bylsma as well his first few years here... Lucky for us Martin is smart enough and talented enough to re-tailor his game to fit this awful system Bylsma has instilled, and he's been playing great, but not all players can do that.

I can keep going on and on even naming generational talents Crosby & Malkin, who have looked like ass under Bylsma, that in of itself is almost IMPOSSIBLE to do to neuter guys like that, but he managed to do it.

What is the one constant here that has made these players turn into such hot garbage over the years or while they were here. Dan Bylsma.

So before we go tossing guys under the bus especially a Letang etc I'd be more than willing to bet all of these players who have struggled over the past 4-5 years DRASTICALLY change their games around once this clown is FINALLY removed from this organization.

Not to say there aren't changes that need to be made, but if there was someone who actually knew what they were doing coaching this team, the results and at the very least the effort would be much different.

How do people not see the paralles of these current good to great players being turned into complete and utter trash.

All I'm saying is there is a simple majority reason these guys have all turned into a dumpster fire seemingly as soon as they put on that Dan Bylsma coached Penguins sweater.

Last edited:

Fire Shero*

Shero doesn't get enough criticism around here. Most around here can acknowledge that we have many holes in the lineup. Whose fault is that? Who is at fault for having absolutely no depth at forward? Who keeps these worthless vets around? Who signed Bylsma to an extension? Who re-signed Adams, Dupuis (too much and too long) Scuderi, Kobasew, D'ags, Jeffrey and re-signed Letang to an atrocious contract? Who has stood behind fleury for way too long?

A new GM would solve all the problems. A competent GM would recognize Bylsma is a joke, fleury is pathetic when it matters, Suderi, Orpik, Glass, Pyatt and Adams don't belong in the NHL.

Get rid of the idiot at the top and all the problems will be solved eventually.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Shero doesn't get enough criticism around here. Most around here can acknowledge that we have many holes in the lineup. Whose fault is that? Who is at fault for having absolutely no depth at forward? Who keeps these worthless vets around? Who signed Bylsma to an extension? Who re-signed Adams, Dupuis (too much and too long) Scuderi, Kobasew, D'ags, Jeffrey and re-signed Letang to an atrocious contract? Who has stood behind fleury for way too long?

A new GM would solve all the problems. A competent GM would recognize Bylsma is a joke, fleury is pathetic when it matters, Suderi, Orpik, Glass, Pyatt and Adams don't belong in the NHL.

I will take exception with only one thing that you said above. The signing of Duper at maybe too much and too long was still a good signing. I would rather have Duper on Sid's RW right now than either Bea, Stem, or Gibbons. Plus they really miss Duper on the PK. Of all the injuries, Duper's is the most costly. If possible, I would exchange Duper for Letang playing in a heartbeat.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I will take exception with only one thing that you said above. The signing of Duper at maybe too much and too long was still a good signing. I would rather have Duper on Sid's RW right now than either Bea, Stem, or Gibbons. Plus they really miss Duper on the PK. Of all the injuries, Duper's is the most costly. If possible, I would exchange Duper for Letang playing in a heartbeat.

:thumbd:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Signing Dupuis instead of Iginla will go down as perhaps Shero's biggest epic fail. joey, would you rather have Dupuis or Iginla? :shakehead

Shero is also the guy who evaluated that this team would be better with Tyler Kennedy over Jaromir Jagr. Three seasons later, Kennedy is a healthy scratch and Jagr's where he's always been...leading a team in scoring.

Shero is also the guy who claimed $1.1 million worth of Taylor Pyatt, who sucks so much even Bylsma scratches him in the playoffs. That money could have been saved up for a deadline acquisition of another backup goaltender...one Bylsma would actually play when we need him most...Game 5 vs. Columbus. :shakehead

Our GM has been on a downward spiral for a while now.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
in the playoffs?! :shakehead

actually, yes

Edit:

it really doesn't matter what happened in the past. People need to accept that just because MAF won a Cup in 2009 doesn't mean he hasn't cost them games since.

Just because Bylsma won a Cup and pushed the right buttons in 2009 (and occasionally thereafter) doesn't mean he hasn't run his course with the Penguins.

Every coach, EVERY COACH, has an expiry date.

If Bylsma has reached his, choose between getting rid of all the players or getting rid of him. You'll have to do one or the other.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It sounds like hyperbole but it's where I would lay most of the blame as well. I'd replace Bylsma before I moved any of what was perceived to be the core of this team.

Unfortunately it's taken this long to act (haven't even yet) and at least 2 seasons have been pissed away waiting for Bylsma to figure anything out. I grind my teeth thinking what this team could look like had they had acted sooner.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm still not even convinced anyone will take the fall if we lose to Columbus. Excuses and spin have become a trademark of this organization. I'm sure they're busy right now jotting the best of 2013-14 down in case they're needed.

Naturally, not having Pascal Dupuis (aka The Immortal One) will be front and center. Can't get to our game without Dupers, right?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Dupuis wouldn't have been a bad signing apart from him blowing his knee out. Consider that in a few months, Sutter will be asking for more than Dupuis got and is not as good of a PKer, softer, weaker, less versatile and a less productive offensive player even when you remove all of 9's minutes with 87. The knee injury shot that reasoning all to Hell, though.

Still can't think of another guy who had as bad of a knee injury at 35 and came back to do anything positive. Possibly Pronger (could never keep up with what was wrong with him)? But Pronger's, to my recollection, wasn't as bad and he was a sloth to begin with. Great player, but speed was never why. Dupuis can't make 90 foot tape to tape passes blindfolded (nor does his job involve that), so I doubt he recovers as well.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Dupuis was always a bad re-signing, considering A) the coach we retained and B) the HOF winger we shoved out the door instead.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Iginla's clearing $6 million. Dupuis is under $4 million. We're snug at the cap. Not seeing an either/or situation. Not without an additional trade we were clearly not interested in making or no Scuderi signing, which I don't see not happening if we had let Dupes go to Montreal, either.

Dan would have played Iggy with Sutter or Malkin anyway and just put some other guy that doesn't make sense with Crosby on the first.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Iginla's clearing $6 million. Dupuis is under $4 million. We're snug at the cap. Not seeing an either/or situation. Not without an additional trade we were clearly not interested in making or no Scuderi signing, which I don't see not happening if we had let Dupes go to Montreal, either.

Dan would have played Iggy with Sutter or Malkin anyway and just put some other guy that doesn't make sense with Crosby on the first.

Easily made up with out the contracts of Adams, Glass, D'Agostini, Kobasew (offseason roster going into the year).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

well, we're snug at the cap after having claimed Pyatt, signing Dupuis, signing Scuderi, etc...

They certainly could have paid someone $6MM this off-season if they so-desired.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
well, we're snug at the cap after having claimed Pyatt, signing Dupuis, signing Scuderi, etc...

They certainly could have paid someone $6MM this off-season if they so-desired.

Not without not signing Scuderi, which, as I said, was gonna get signed, like it or not, necessary or not.

This team's pro scouting is highly questionable. They're supposed to be the guys that raise a red flag and say "um, hey, this dude isn't fast enough to play the kind of hockey we want to play at 35" or "Taylor Pyatt hasn't done anything right in about 8 years and even back then he wasn't any good."

And actually, we're over the cap. We were over it in the summer, even prior to Pyatt. You can bank IR space and use it for waiver acquisitions. Can't bank it for re-signing free agents like Jarome.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As Albert Einstein once said, the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting different results.

Stainless

May 21, 2009
gulfcoast
Isn't this the same coach that couldn't motivate Team USA?

That got shutout 5-0 against Finland?

After Bylsma GUARANTEED a Bronze medal game win?

8251204.jpg
49101_G08_W01.jpg

looks like our defense...

022214_live2.jpg

cue the quotes...

"We're not coming home with nothing,'' Bylsma said.

“They wanted it more than us. We got outworked, and that’s what happens.â€

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
“They wanted it more than us. We got outworked, and that’s what happens.†[/B]

This quote of his seems to happen often with whichever team he's coaching. It's certainly one of the biggest issues with this Pens team.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a link?

ObsessedCreative*

actually, yes

Edit:

it really doesn't matter what happened in the past. People need to accept that just because MAF won a Cup in 2009 doesn't mean he hasn't cost them games since.

Just because Bylsma won a Cup and pushed the right buttons in 2009 (and occasionally thereafter) doesn't mean he hasn't run his course with the Penguins.

Every coach, EVERY COACH, has an expiry date.

If Bylsma has reached his, choose between getting rid of all the players or getting rid of him. You'll have to do one or the other.

I'm not talking about 09 when it was still 95% MT's systems and schemes.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well lets look specifically at the simplified coaching issues IMO right now:

1. Misuse of player's skill sets- Iginla Lw or even more recnet the 5 on 3 last game. Heck look at half the defensive pairings then who they play with half the time.. we have Orpik or scuderi behind Crosby most of the time, and guys like letang and Nisky playing with the third and fourth lines a lot...
2. Overreliance on Vets over skilled youngsters... Despres, Lovejoy, Letestu, Strait, Bortz, Bennet, ect... and a general failure to develop any player that wasnt already developed in his time here... no one gets any better, really...
3. Overvaluing grit over skill, which is more of an NHL thing to be honest...
4. Playing a puck possession-grinding system with superstars and a bottom 6 with few actually puck possession type players.
5. Using the D to force offense... couple this with forwards that are cherrypicking and waiting on rushed predictable passes rather than actually giving puck support in their own end.. just in general abuse of defense.
6. Failure to really get an offensive system that pressures a goalie in 5 years... all parimeter passing and clear view shots...
7. Failure to stop people from abusing us in front of our own net... that includes the guys camped out there and the frequent passes through the crease that make goalies headcases...
8. Stubborness that keeps us from changes, or when a change that is forced works, sees us revert back to what wasn't working within a game or two
9. No accountability for any veteran
10. Totally inept at not buring players out or holding them back when they are hurt... think about how often over the last 5 years we saw a guy who just got back from an injury play 20 minutes in a rather meaningless game while some other player at the same position gets 5... or how guys like Orpik, who play tons of minutes... and are old, never get a seat for a guy like Bortz even when we have a double digit lead in the division... terribad at that

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, calling players out in the paper on the day you gave everyone the day off sends a signal that you are just ****ing off and do not mean a word you said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad