Rumor: All Purpose Anthony Duclair Trade Talk (Duke requested trade, Coyotes trying to grant it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We're so fundamentally broken that we will actually give players the minutes/linemates/opportunity to succeed in the NHL in order to play themselves out of town, but we stubbornly refuse to afford them that same opportunity to prove they can break into our 12 dressed forwards.
A much more succinct way to present the point I was attempting to make.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I mean we're obviously giving him the rope to play his game and show he can be successful at the NHL level -- but only to improve his trade value.
Giving a young player rope to play his game and show he can be successful in the NHL for our own lineup is an idea completely foreign and offensive to us.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I typically agree with a lot of you. I think in the past we have tarnished some relationships with some young players, I'm a huge Duclair fan, and i'm upset about how this went down...but i think there's just too much writing on the wall (in this circumstance) for us to chalk it up to the "this organization is terrible at asset management" argument. If Duclair was looking to find a laid back, patient coach who understands growing pains more than his last 3 coaches may have, Tocchet is the guy. RT is far from the best coach in the league, but he seems to reward players who have earned it, even if they are young. We have no idea what Duclair has/hasn't done to ruin his reputation with his last 4 coaches.

rt

May 13, 2004
I mean we're obviously giving him the rope to play his game and show he can be successful at the NHL level -- but only to improve his trade value.
Giving a young player rope to play his game and show he can be successful in the NHL for our own lineup is an idea completely foreign and offensive to us.
Yes!

Reactions: Yandover

rt

May 13, 2004
I typically agree with a lot of you. I think in the past we have tarnished some relationships with some young players, I'm a huge Duclair fan, and i'm upset about how this went down...but i think there's just too much writing on the wall (in this circumstance) for us to chalk it up to the "this organization is terrible at asset management" argument. If Duclair was looking to find a laid back, patient coach who understands growing pains more than his last 3 coaches may have, Tocchet is the guy. RT is far from the best coach in the league, but he seems to reward players who have earned it, even if they are young. We have no idea what Duclair has/hasn't done to ruin his reputation with his last 4 coaches.
Fair point. Tough when all you know is what you can see and what you can see doesn't add up.

RABBIT

Fair point. Tough when all you know is what you can see and what you can see doesn't add up.

I agree. He's one of my all-time favorite Coyotes, and he's looked awesome these last few games. Which is sad, because it leads me to believe he IS the type of player that needs a wake-up call (or inspiration/excitement to play for a new team) to play at his best. Maybe that shows us right there, that he has an issue with motivation.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
They should work with this player and help him develop the behavior they want to see from him. Whatever that is. If a kid isn't Keller right out of the gate, they have no hope here. We don't develop.

I'm cool with that, so long as we build the team around that principle. That means trading draft picks and young players for proven talent, that cost a lot more. That doesn't appear to be the case or direction of the franchise but I'd be fine if that was the initiative. I would however be disappointed if this is the result of that direction because we are hot garbage.

We've come a long way in scouting and development but I think it would be wise for us to sink more money into those programs.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I think it would be wise for us to sink more money into those programs.

Exactly, until we can get kids in the 3-7th rounds that develop into NHLers we need to improve our scouting.

It goes without saying that St. Louis & Tampa have done a great job at finding talent later in the draft. Coyotes, not so much!

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Devils fan here. Would you guys be on board with a Pavel Zacha for Duclair straight swap? Both guys look like they could use a change of scenery, Duclair has shown more so far in his career but PZ is younger.

RABBIT

I agree with Mosby, Luke's tweet is kind of lopsided. There was a time that Lee Stempniak was on pace to score 56 goals in 72 game based on an 18 game sample. Do you think we'll ever see Duke's name in the same sentence and the guys mentioned in that tweet again? If Duclair were to have played all 43 games this year, do we think he would have kept that up? Do we think Stempniak would have kept his post-deadline production up for another 64 games?

I feel like I'm bashing Duke, and that sucks because i love Duke. But we have to keep it real here. Stempniak was pissed he was the odd man out in Toronto and had for a 5th round pick and Matt friggin' Jones. He went on a tear. Duclair knows he's being auditioned for yet another NHL job. The common denominator in those 2 scenarios is a new found motivation.

Lapinski is an employee of the Coyotes. To me, it looks like he is promoting Duclair's current value to the most eyes he can.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Stempniak was really good for us. He had that awesome finish and got stuck in the bottom six the next season. He didn't have a bad year but I think like many offensive players during those years, he was wasted in the bottom six.

RABBIT

What's wrong with pointing out that Dukes G/60 is 1st on team for the entire season to date? It's timely, reasonable and interesting.

nothing wrong with it at all. it's an interesting nugget, not a shot at you either. I just know HFBoards, and I was just trying disarm this potential weapon that could be used as possible conspiracy. Because man, it truly gets exhausting reading all of our own PTSD-riddled speculation about how we're doomed and we're going f*** up anything nice that we have. I've been a fan for a long time, and yeah shit is rough right now, and I consider myself a realist who doesn't fall for the puff & fluff bullshit we see in the broadcasts, but I also believe sometimes we (as a forum) can get a little dramatic. Including myself :laugh:. I just think this Duclair situation is different. I truly believe something is going on.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What's that stat look like if you subtract the last two games?

I'd tell you but the NHL's website is deciding to be a piece of crap right now (like always).

The "sum results" button which makes it possible to look up stats on a range of dates isn't working for literally the one page that has per 60. It's working everywhere else....

I'm mostly just annoyed NHL.com is crappy and am venting don't mind me.

2 games with goals in them boost it obviously but he's had good per 60 numbers all season anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad