Rumor: All Purpose Anthony Duclair Trade Talk (Duke requested trade, Coyotes trying to grant it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
@Mosby
Napkin math says 1.016

That drops him from 57th overall in that number to about 100th. A big drop relatively speaking but not much in the context of Duke and the Coyotes, it's a very good number either way. Yes with context being required.

My issue with the tweet wouldn't be that he's using an obvious favorable stat for Duke to extol his virtues, that's kinda the point :snide:

The fallacy in the tweet is comparing him to the names he compared him to indirectly. Most of those guys aren't even in the top 100 for G/60.

In fact he'd still be above most of them even with the 2 games removed because about half the names in the tweet are playmakers with a high profile or guys who are good at everything but play buckets of minutes due to team circumstance/ability. Giroux,Eichel, McDavid, Barkov, Toews, Draisatl. Guys who can score some goals obviously but not immediately who you'd think as obviously going to lead a number like G/60. McDavid wasn't even in the top 100 last year and he won the Hart. G/60 is where the Laine's and Ovechkin's live.

The Giroux one is especially egregious. Duke SHOULD have a higher G/60 number than him if he's going to stay in the NHL. That's his primary skill. Giroux is about .8 g/60 over the last 8 years or so for example. Nothing wrong with that number at all since Giroux is good for about 45-50 assist a year.

Reactions: Mosby

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
After seeing Duke turn it up the past 2 games, it makes sense to wait. Build on the strong play and wait until the TDL before deciding to make a move. We're also 1-0-1 against 2 very good teams during this short stretch.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Stempniak was pissed he was the odd man out in Toronto and had for a 5th round pick and Matt friggin' Jones. He went on a tear.

( Right after that happened, April 2010, I happened to go to Toronto. Leafs v Rangers but I wore my Yotes jersey. Couple of guys sitting in a lounge razzed me about the jersey, but we got to talking and I remember getting to throw in an 'Ovechniak' reference. )

Reactions: AZviaNJ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Quite a confounding statement since both Chayka and Maloney before him were known for extracting value in trades.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Interesting listen on that natural hat trick link. I tend to agree that Duke has the goal scoring touch that you don't just give up that easily.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Devils fan here. Would you guys be on board with a Pavel Zacha for Duclair straight swap? Both guys look like they could use a change of scenery, Duclair has shown more so far in his career but PZ is younger.
Would give the Coyotes 4 players from the legendary 2015 first round draft class.

Unfortunately, none of them are named McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen, Barzal, Chabot, Boeser, etc.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Interesting listen on that natural hat trick link. I tend to agree that Duke has the goal scoring touch that you don't just give up that easily.

One thing I was thinking about yesterday was....what if Duke just is what he is and needs to be used this way? So he's got all the hot numbers in limited minutes, you think hey maybe he should be able to do more with that?

What if he can't? What's wrong with that? Just use him as he is. He's like that 3 point shooter off the bench in basketball. Sometimes he gets hot and could win you a game(he's done that a few times this year) but other nights he's simply not there.

I think there's more potential left but if there isn't, so what?

Of course if the reasons for the trade are all those beneath the surface things supposedly no one knows about then that's a different matter.

Reactions: _Del_ and Murf

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
One thing I was thinking about yesterday was....what if Duke just is what he is and needs to be used this way? So he's got all the hot numbers in limited minutes, you think hey maybe he should be able to do more with that?

What if he can't? What's wrong with that? Just use him as he is. He's like that 3 point shooter off the bench in basketball. Sometimes he gets hot and could win you a game(he's done that a few times this year) but other nights he's simply not there.

I think there's more potential left but if there isn't, so what?

Of course if the reasons for the trade are all those beneath the surface things supposedly no one knows about then that's a different matter.

Good point. Usage in the right situations and using players effectively is something this team needs to learn more of, I think. I don't think it's wise to expect Duclair to be your Selke nominee forward. He just needs to be not garbage and produce offensively, imo.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Seems like a bad plan when it also makes him want out.
Did he get angry when he was sat out 10 times or was that reserved to when his name became public again on trade rumours and he was embarrassed because apparently nobody wanted him even for the price of a draft pick?

The ironic thing in all of this is the one GM who would have targeted this player based on his advanced stats is the GM who’s shopping him. Don’t think this goes unnoticed by the less enlightened GM’s out there.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Did he get angry when he was sat out 10 times or was that reserved to when his name became public again on trade rumours and he was embarrassed because apparently nobody wanted him even for the price of a draft pick?

The ironic thing in all of this is the one GM who would have targeted this player based on his advanced stats is the GM who’s shopping him. Don’t think this goes unnoticed by the less enlightened GM’s out there.

Chayka doesn't seem all that enlightened to me at this point. If anything, fit and managing the human aspect seems to be a blind spot for him.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chayka doesn't seem all that enlightened to me at this point. If anything, fit and managing the human aspect seems to be a blind spot for him.
Yep. That was brought up on this board at his hiring. That being said he and his wife employ a lot of people in their Burger King franchises. He should have picked up some acumen by this point.

I will say this though. Part of me likes his ability/mindset to run things more like football where you coldly cut ties with players at a certain point in their careers. He’s not going to give a 8 year contract to a 32 year old UFA; he’s more likely to have a trade policy on players at a certain age threshold. Although this theory may get tested with Hjarlmarsson and we will see if OEL plays out his next contract in a AZ jersey.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, I don't think it goes unnoticed when you treat players like you think they are garbage. Which was why I said they should have moved him awhile ago instead of continuing to mind# another potential asset while destroying his value.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think it goes unnoticed when you treat players like you think they are garbage. Which was why I said they should have moved him awhile ago instead of continuing to mind# another potential asset while destroying his value.
They’ve been trying to move him for over a year.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Yep. That was brought up on this board at his hiring. That being said he and his wife employ a lot of people in their Burger King franchises. He should have picked up some acumen by this point.

I will say this though. Part of me likes his ability/mindset to run things more like football where you coldly cut ties with players at a certain point in their careers. He’s not going to give a 8 year contract to a 32 year old UFA; he’s more likely to have a trade policy on players at a certain age threshold. Although this theory may get tested with Hjarlmarsson and we will see if OEL plays out his next contract in a AZ jersey.

Actually they're Wendy's franchises but the point stands.

Reactions: hbk

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They’ve been trying to move him for over a year.
That's actually worse because it either means they think he's garbage and didn't simply move on from him, but instead #ed his potential to find another opportunity elsewhere and sat on him
OR
they actually thought he had value as an asset, but instead of using him as an asset they destroyed his value in a series of confounding moves since that time which simultaneously alienated him.

Bravo.

Reactions: Yandover

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's actually worse because it either means they think he's garbage and didn't simply move on from him, but instead #ed his potential to find another opportunity elsewhere and sat on him
OR
they actually thought he had value as an asset, but instead of using him as an asset they destroyed his value in a series of confounding moves since that time which simultaneously alienated him.

Bravo.
For f***s sake. He had 5 goals last year. His value has been shit.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They should have traded him as soon as Dino Dave decided he didn't have enough "try" or wasn't sticky enough or whatever Dave's catch phrase was.
And if that was our evaluation, why would we care if his value was shit? That's what we valued him at, too. Anyone could see by how we handled him. It's only gone down while we # with him instead of moving on and letting him do the same.
No wonder noone seems like they want to be here.

Reactions: CC96 and Yandover
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad