Rumor: All Purpose Anthony Duclair Trade Talk (Duke requested trade, Coyotes trying to grant it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our bottom pairing D are not great and Hickey I think can play based upon his play, like you inclusion on Team canada Olympic team, and recent gold medal at the Spengler cup. Offering him guarantees and opportunity is how u close the deal. Not a freeing and he leaves hurts the org.

I have never seen Hickey play, but is he better than anything we have in the AHL?

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Assuming the past few pages of dialogue are truth, not just hockey nerds guessing at what's going on - assuming this isn't a non-hockey issue and it's an RT/JC philosophical and accountability issue:

Tocchet and Chayka are going to be working elsewhere or not at all, wondering what went wrong. Using the widget example and the spread sheet stats, it appears to me this player doesn't need more practice, just more ice time. His buddy Max on the other hand, either needs more practice or more press box (and he isn't the only one). That's just a simple solution to the perceived issue. IMO the real issue issue is true leadership. One shouldn't treat all employees the same, especially on a team. Doing so is managing, not leading. Managing is easy, yet flawed. It may be adequate in a work unit, with a similar product and pay, but still has shortcomings and certainly doesn't work on a team.

These guys don't make the same "widget", aren't deployed equally and certainly aren't paid the same. Maybe Duclair is over trained, not lacking in fitness? Or, maybe he (and Archibald) need to be in the weight room, not taking 200 extra shots after practice. Maybe he needs a day off, or a pat on the butt and public praise? Who knows, my point is management of people doesn't work in this case, people have different motivators and needs. . IMO it's up to RT/JC to figure it out, or Duclair and his agent will find a coach who has and he could flourish.

I could go on and on, but who reads long posts anyway?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I am not arguing with Hickey the player. I'm debating the merits or rather the plausibility of making an offer like that to someone after you've had multiple guys ask out of AZ. If he has the option to become a FA and play on a much better team for a much better organization, why would he come here? Let's just be realistic. College FAs are prized by cap strapped teams (as in near the ceiling). If you make such overtures, it also undercuts the whole "earn your time" thing they're pulling with Duclair.
If any organization can offer this based on the current smarket asia and opportunity to play in a top 6 capacity it’s AZ. I get the philosophical argument and it’s fair. I just think based on the player and our blue line that I would make that offer.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
One last point on Duclair. First call is to a former coach when you are thinking of acquiring a player. That’s not going to go well in this case (for whatever the reason with both Duclair and Roy). That is likely what is really limiting the offfers currently.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hickey was on the Spengler Cup team but I didn't see much of it. I wonder if he makes the Olympic squad.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We really are mentally weak team if Domi is pouting about Duclair. JR was right on this team's mental fortitude.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We really are mentally weak team if Domi is pouting about Duclair. JR was right on this team's mental fortitude.

Your best friend gets unnecessarily f***ed with at work, it doesn't affect you at all? These are young players that basically live with each other half the year. To be trapped in a situation where you can't escape due to your RFA status unless you make a public show of things can't be fun. Does playing for the team look fun right now?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't actually think that's Domi's issue, just if. First move with Domi should be getting him back on the wing. Of course, for that to happen we need to find a center.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Your best friend gets unnecessarily ****ed with at work, it doesn't affect you at all? These are young players that basically live with each other half the year. To be trapped in a situation where you can't escape due to your RFA status unless you make a public show of things can't be fun. Does playing for the team look fun right now?
That doesn't show up on a spreadsheet, so it's hard to quantify. That's why I referenced leadership earlier. This org has been bad at recognizing the human factor dating before Chayka.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Theres no way we do that for Hickey. We were even too much of assholes last season to not play Keller like two more games so he hit like a 25k bonus

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That doesn't show up on a spreadsheet, so it's hard to quantify. That's why I referenced leadership earlier. This org has been bad at recognizing the human factor dating before Chayka.

Agreed that there is a major void in leadership. This team is far too young. Our mix is too lopsided. This is why I like the idea of bringing in someone like Hagelin, Bozak, Pacioretty, etc.

And give OEL the "C" along with his extension.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you're referring to another voice to share the room with Chayka, then yes I agree. Some sort of senior advisor.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He also hasn't shown anything at the NHL level. I don't think he's the savior we needed, may be time to drastically lower expectations.

I don't see the coaching staff doing enough to develop him. Look at Keller. He was put right on the top line with two skilled players and left there for many games to get his feet under him. Why can't we do something similar with Strome? If anything, as a center, you'd think he'd need that even more. How much better does Fischer look after a sustained period with two skilled forwards? I just don't get why we're f***ing around with Strome so much. It's like Turris all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad