All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
[Habs fan here]

How did Galchenyuk turn out for the Leafs? Will he make the post season starting roster? Is he a net positive in the offensive zone? Does he take faceoffs when Tavares is kicked out of the box? How is he defensively and on the forecheck?

Do you want him back next year?
How did Galchenyuk turn out for the Leafs? Definitely worth it, he's been excellent and honestly rejuvenated the Tavares/Nylander line.

Will he make the post season starting roster? As of now I'd say that's unlikely, but not due to his play. We won't scratch Thornton or Spezza, need Simmonds against the Habs, and Foligno and Nash are coming in. He should be next man up though, and will end up in our top 6 if one of the 12 goes down or falters.

Is he a net positive in the offensive zone? I would say so, he's really been excellent in the o-zone, his biggest problem is he takes a lot of penalties. He's very useful with Nylander though, and his shot is nice to have.

Does he take faceoffs when Tavares is kicked out of the box? Don't think so, at least not that I've noticed, JT rarely gets kicked out though.

How is he defensively and on the forecheck? Defensively I'd say he's one of if not our worst of our current roster guys, he's still behind play there, but we also do have lots of very strong two way guys. He needs more work defensively, and if he was better there I have no doubt he'd be starting in our top 6 for the playoffs, but as is, he's too much of a liability in our end relative to everyone else. With that said, his forecheck has been amazing and 10x better than I think any of us imagined. He really is one of our hardest working guys right now, and he's playing physical. He back checks hard too, his problem is just that the defensive IQ isn't there.

Do you want him back next year? Personally, I would love to have Galchenyuk back next year. He should be able to play in our top 9 again next year, and I think if he gets more time with our dev staff, he'd be even better. Would totally depend on cost though, and I think anything over the Mikheyev contract and he's gone.

All in all, Gally has been a pleasant surprise that I don't think anyone would complain about. He brought more of an offensive threat just when we needed it, and I'm sure he does get games in the post season depending on opponent, matchups and health.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I've really enjoyed watching Galchenyuk play and I hope we sign him back for next year. If he is the odd man out to start the playoffs I am ok with that decision. He will get in for sure if we make a run. Seems like a good guy with a lot of energy.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Gally is a lock to remain in lineup come playoff time. You dont dismantle what is working, both Tavares and Nylander have been on fire since Gally joined their line.

When Hyman and Foligno come back one will be slotted on 1st line with Matthews (Foligno) and the other (Hyman) will be inserted on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Micheyev to form a super checking line that every team needs in the playoffs.

4th line will consist of Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds with an outside chance that Nash replaces one of them potentially.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Galchenyuk is too low hockey IQ and bad defensively to warrant playing in the playoffs. It’s apparent why he’s moved through so many teams. That being said, I would welcome him back if he transformed defensively in the offseason.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Gally is a lock to remain in lineup come playoff time. You dont dismantle what is working, both Tavares and Nylander have been on fire since Gally joined their line.

When Hyman and Foligno come back one will be slotted on 1st line with Matthews (Foligno) and the other (Hyman) will be inserted on the 3rd line with Kerfoot and Micheyev to form a super checking line that every team needs in the playoffs.

4th line will consist of Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds with an outside chance that Nash replaces one of them potentially.

think you are wrong. When it comes to playoffs,teams would
Much rather have a defensive guy like Nash over Gally who is pretty good at offence but not good defensively

Reactions: Once

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

There is no way Nash isn't in the line up if healthy. Galchenyuk will begin the playoffs in the press box imo. He should get in there at some point.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Galchenyuk is too low hockey IQ and bad defensively to warrant playing in the playoffs. It’s apparent why he’s moved through so many teams. That being said, I would welcome him back if he transformed defensively in the offseason.

I don't think he can...I mean..he tries...it's not lack of effort or laziness on his part. He just has trouble diagnosing the situation and where to be and who to cover for. He just doesn't get it. I watched a video on youtube talking about Jake Virtanaen and how he is not aware of what is going on around him. Galy is the same way. He just doesn't seem to know. I don't think it's really fixable and if you can live with the Gaffes...like with Reilly...then your good.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

It's tough to improve your defensive IQ that much. But I think the major focus for the Leafs when they brought Gally in was to focus on puck retrieval and forechecking. He's got enough skill to be play in the top 6, so I don't have a problem bringing him back on a 2-3 year deal.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's tough to improve your defensive IQ that much. But I think the major focus for the Leafs when they brought Gally in was to focus on puck retrieval and forechecking. He's got enough skill to be play in the top 6, so I don't have a problem bringing him back on a 2-3 year deal.
2-3 year? A 1 year, absolute max 2 year is all he has earned. Also, I'd hope that he expects more out of himself than 1 million per year. Would be a bit worried if he signed a 3 year 1 million contract at 27-28 years old.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A 1 year very cheap deal 750k-1mil seems best for both sides. Allows him to spend a full season rebuilding his value for the next contract and Leafs get a cheap guy who has chemistry with their second line.

Reactions: leafsfan5

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He has been a great help to us and an improvement on Vesey .. but he really adds little value given composition of our roster for a playoff run .. but who knows if Willy/Mitch goes down with injury then Gally would be a great fill in .. we even have Noesen to fill in if Foligno/Zach go down .. lots of good backup plans to fill for injury

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Given the circumstances I think Galchenyuk did the best he could. Anyone with a working set of eyes can see the natural talent he has though, and while he is a little older now, I think he can still be a useful player with the right support, training and development. Many players are late bloomers who figure it out late...Gally had a bunch of issues that didn't allow him to have the smoothest career. He seems like he's finally focused on just hockey and has had a great attitude since coming onboard.

Personally I'd love to bring him back and see what our staff can do with him. A full off-season ironing out his game could do wonders.

Reactions: ER89

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He is the guy that jumps in the top 6 if there is an injury. He is still doing good.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander

Extras: Galchenyuk Robertson

Similar situation in the bottom 6.

Kerfoot Nash Mikheyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

Extras: Engvall Brooks

Similar to the defence.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian

Extras: Sandin Hutton Liljegren

Leafs are super deep on forward and defence.

Goaltending is a question mark after Campbell. Andersen? Rittich? Hutchinson?

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think he'd play extra hard against Montreal, but I don't think he starts game 1. I hope we swap some guys in on the back to back though if we can.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he'd play extra hard against Montreal, but I don't think he starts game 1. I hope we swap some guys in on the back to back though if we can.
If Willy goes silent again in game 1 then you could see Gally come in to replace him in game 2 .. it is da power of roster depth and a great weapon we have not had in years

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is actually a legit tough call.

I think it'll come down to matchups. Against teams with lethal offenses we might prefer not to have a weak defensive forward like Galy on one of our top lines. But if offense is hard to come by then we might be forced to put him in there anyways.

TBH i've been a bit more worried about our offense lately than our defense - especially since the PP can't do anything. I'd be inclined to keep Galy in to maximize our offense.

but that would require Keefe to move Simmonds out of the lineup imo, which i'm not sure he's inclined to do. at least not yet.

Reactions: MR4

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah, the aren't replacing a fit Nylander with Galchenyuk
I doubt it too but guaranteed Keefer will not mess around moving guys to 4th line or out of lineup in game 1 if they don't bring their A game .. we are not about development right now .. we are about winning at all costs

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I don’t know how you couldn’t give Gally the chance to catch fire against his old team. He’s definitely one of our best chances for goal scoring which is essential during playoffs.

If he doesn’t get it going vs the Habs, then you relegate him to the bench to fill in on occasion, but let the Nylander/Tavares/Gally line start it off

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
ok lets calm down ... he had 1 good game ,,, he also startd his leafs career with like 6 great games and sucked for 30 games after that
lets see if it continues for the rest of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad