All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It depends on how much mother GMs view his time with the Leafs vs previous games.

I won't be surprised if he comes back on a one year cheap deal
I agree, esp with the flat cap, don’t think GMs are going to pay all those mid tier players.
Ofcourse, all goes out the window if he wins the Conn Symthe.

Reactions: aingefan

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Gotta say , he’s winning me over with every aspect of his game
I hope he can keep it up ...
Could be 2 Cinderella stories brewing .......

Lets not underestimate the environment Keefe has created for this team. It seems like a very inclusive, tight and caring group. For guys like Campbell and Gally who have struggled, being in a welcoming and supportive environment would go a long way to allowing them to feel good about themselves and just play the game.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I agree, esp with the flat cap, don’t think GMs are going to pay all those mid tier players.
Ofcourse, all goes out the window if he wins the Conn Symthe.
Good observation.
Gotta be why Iaffolo and Laughton are trying to get theirs now.
Gotta love how he’s playing. Lots of purposeful effort.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Good observation.
Gotta be why Iaffolo and Laughton are trying to get theirs now.
Gotta love how he’s playing. Lots of purposeful effort.
Look at Pearson with the Nucks. 3.25mil for 3 years. Both AVV and terms are not good for pretty much a mid 6 winger.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It'll be really interesting to see just what kind of commitment Galchenyuk can obtain this summer...

This is a guy who has "burned" Montreal, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Ottawa with lacklustre play that fails to meet his skill set. He seems to have been re-energized and found himself a niche in Toronto... but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Any team looking to sign him also has to wonder, do I have the environment to give this guy linemates like the ones he's played with in Toronto? and the answer to that question is probably no.

He's still only 27 years old. Personally, I think signing him to anything more than a 1 year deal would be doing a disservice to both the team and player... sure he might be able to go out and get a 2 year, $3m commitment from somebody; but I'd suspect it makes more sense to sign back in Toronto for $1m on a 1-year deal... letting him play for some major upside if he can put up big numbers over a full season.

Chevboyarsky

Oct 23, 2014
It'll be really interesting to see just what kind of commitment Galchenyuk can obtain this summer...

This is a guy who has "burned" Montreal, Arizona, Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Ottawa with lacklustre play that fails to meet his skill set. He seems to have been re-energized and found himself a niche in Toronto... but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Any team looking to sign him also has to wonder, do I have the environment to give this guy linemates like the ones he's played with in Toronto? and the answer to that question is probably no.

He's still only 27 years old. Personally, I think signing him to anything more than a 1 year deal would be doing a disservice to both the team and player... sure he might be able to go out and get a 2 year, $3m commitment from somebody; but I'd suspect it makes more sense to sign back in Toronto for $1m on a 1-year deal... letting him play for some major upside if he can put up big numbers over a full season.

He may not be "lighting the world on fire" but he's been very good for the trade that was made. Lots of hustle, forechecking and has generally been super effective. Had 2 assists but was responsible for more goals than his 6 pts in 11 GP would suggest.

Last night he kept the puck in at the line and picked up the 3rd assist and has been responsible for more goals without getting rewarded with pts.

He's actually been unlucky on some shots/chances too.

Honestly, he could have a couple more goals and assists and be almost a PPG player in his time, so far.

Given his pedigree, work ethic and effectiveness to this point with the Leafs, I'd be very happy with a 1-3 year deal at $1.5-$2M. Could end up being a steal and God knows we need one of these kind of wins (a al Carter Verhaeghe).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Even for those looking at points:

his 2.66 points/60 at 5v5 ranks 4th on the team behind Matthews, Marner and Spezza's production for us this year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Averaging a hit a game. Gally could be a guy who plays 16mins a game and give us 50 points per 82 next year. His commitment to defence and team structure with his natural top-line talent is just amazing to see. You can see why he was a top 3 pick on a consistent basis.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He may not be "lighting the world on fire" but he's been very good for the trade that was made. Lots of hustle, forechecking and has generally been super effective. Had 2 assists but was responsible for more goals than his 6 pts in 11 GP would suggest.

Last night he kept the puck in at the line and picked up the 3rd assist and has been responsible for more goals without getting rewarded with pts.

He's actually been unlucky on some shots/chances too.

Honestly, he could have a couple more goals and assists and be almost a PPG player in his time, so far.

Given his pedigree, work ethic and effectiveness to this point with the Leafs, I'd be very happy with a 1-3 year deal at $1.5-$2M. Could end up being a steal and God knows we need one of these kind of wins (a al Carter Verhaeghe).

Problem is by giving him a deal like that, you may put him back into the "headspace" he's been in over the last ~3-4 years with effort that wasn't always there, trending downwards, from his draft position and great start in Montreal.

I feel like it's the kind of thing where Alex Galchenyuk on a 1-year deal close to falling out of the NHL is a better player than Alex Galchenyuk with 2-3 year security.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Really liked him with Matthews and Marner last night. I hope he continues his play with that line so that we can move Hyman elsewhere. I love Hyman on that first line but I think he would help out that Tavares-Nylander line a lot. Great pickup by Dubas

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
What's weird to me is.. his play looked better individually with JT and willy.. he actually hasn't even been playing to that level that he was on the 2nd line (probably still trying to figure out where Mats and Marner like to go) but he has made a bigger impact with how Mitch and Marner are playing.. they both looked more fired up and dangerous for some reason?
Maybe just Gallys presence next to them has given them more confidence?

But if they're playing like this now when I think there's still another gear in Gally (IMO) I'd love to see it when Gally adjusts.

Again... Let's remember this is Ottawa though. So that could be a factor.

Galchenyuk is the most skilled linemate Matthews/Marner have had this season.
Thornton/Simmonds/Hyman have all played on that 1st line.
None of them are as skilled as Galchenyuk,

Yes, Hyman has a good motor and hustles, but, do you see the way Gally finesses the puck? Hyman doesn't have that skillset, and you can't teach it.

There's a reason why he was the #3 overall pick. TBH, he's the perfect complementary piece for Matthews/Marner, I think of him like a Chris Kunitz. He has the patience, the play making ability, to take Matthews/Marner's game to the next level.

Hyman skates fast and wins puck battles, but, he isn't an outstanding playmaker.
Galchenyuk can pass the puck at will, and, create open ice for his linemates.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
[Habs fan here]

How did Galchenyuk turn out for the Leafs? Will he make the post season starting roster? Is he a net positive in the offensive zone? Does he take faceoffs when Tavares is kicked out of the box? How is he defensively and on the forecheck?

Do you want him back next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad