All purpose Alex Galchenyuk talk

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I an going to say it's still early, but this might be Dubas's best example of his development system.

Our track record with fixing vets must be looking appealing for anyone coming off a sudden down year. Hell we probably bought Ennis an extra 5+ years in the league with a single off-season of work.

Where else are you getting this kind of rehab + skills development alongside getting minutes with Matthews/Tavares?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Our track record with fixing vets must be looking appealing for anyone coming off a sudden down year. Hell we probably bought Ennis an extra 5+ years in the league with a single off-season of work.

Where else are you getting this kind of rehab + skills development alongside getting minutes with Matthews/Tavares?
Reclamation is a great way to cheaply fill the bottom six.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Even if he didn’t get the points today, he was playing well. Some here just like to pick on him here and there.
He was buzzing and skating. What I liked about the first goal was that he was driving straight to the net. That’s something we lacked over the years.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

we will work wonders with the careers of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid ;)

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I an going to say it's still early, but this might be Dubas's best example of his development system.

It goes beyond that. The decisions of the franchise, from Dubas to Keefe and even the character vets they brought in go a long way towards giving the club a reputation as one of honour. When you are a franchise that players trust and respect, you will find winners wanting to be part of your club. This was something that old Leafs fans saw disappear in the Ballard years.

What do I mean by that? Dubas trading Lehtonen to the Blue Jackets because he felt he wasn't going to get an opportunity here. This to me is a big deal. The same went with Leivo when he was traded. I believe you should not railroad a guys career. If you can't or won't use a player, find him a home if someone will give him a shot.

When Galchenyuk was picked up, Dubas had a conversation with him and then as he kept his end of the bargain going to the minors, working hard, staying positive, the Leafs kept their word and called him up. Ditto for Keefe. I thought Gally should have started this post-season, but, if he didn't, as Keefe stated today, he kept his word and he is in the playoff lineup now. Keefe admitted it was a tough conversation, but, as promised, he's here.

It's important as people and sports franchises in this silly entertainment business to ensure that their word is their bond. Be a franchise of character and straight talk with players. Don't be sneaky or play head games.

This Leafs team hasn't achieved anything yet. They are one win away from taking a first step. If they are to have a deep run, many different players will have a say in the success.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
It goes beyond that. The decisions of the franchise, from Dubas to Keefe and even the character vets they brought in go a long way towards giving the club a reputation as one of honour. When you are a franchise that players trust and respect, you will find winners wanting to be part of your club. This was something that old Leafs fans saw disappear in the Ballard years.

What do I mean by that? Dubas trading Lehtonen to the Blue Jackets because he felt he wasn't going to get an opportunity here. This to me is a big deal. The same went with Leivo when he was traded. I believe you should not railroad a guys career. If you can't or won't use a player, find him a home if someone will give him a shot.

When Galchenyuk was picked up, Dubas had a conversation with him and then as he kept his end of the bargain going to the minors, working hard, staying positive, the Leafs kept their word and called him up. Ditto for Keefe. I thought Gally should have started this post-season, but, if he didn't, as Keefe stated today, he kept his word and he is in the playoff lineup now. Keefe admitted it was a tough conversation, but, as promised, he's here.

It's important as people and sports franchises in this silly entertainment business to ensure that their word is their bond. Be a franchise of character and straight talk with players. Don't be sneaky or play head games.

This Leafs team hasn't achieved anything yet. They are one win away from taking a first step. If they are to have a deep run, many different players will have a say in the success.
Well said

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Gally always had the talent, but it seemed like he just wasn’t dedicated to developing his overall game.

He’s made massive strides as a Leaf, and hoping he keeps it up & earns himself some term here. Those passes today were insane, and he hustled on both ends of the rink.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Basically resign gally, bogo, Spezza. Hope Kerfoot doesn’t get taken

I think this team is going to be pretty set, unless management feels they need a shakeup, for the foreseeable future. The only "significant" pieces that I think will be moved are Kerfoot (expansion), Anderson (FA), Reilly (asset retention)... Ultimately, however, I think the following is pretty much locked in place through 2023.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
????-Tavares-Nylander
????-????-Mikheyev
Simmonds-????-Spezza
Brooks
Robertson
Anderson
Hallander
Amirov

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie
????-Bogosian
Lijegren
Niemela
Kral

Campbell
????

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think this team is going to be pretty set, unless management feels they need a shakeup, for the foreseeable future. The only "significant" pieces that I think will be moved are Kerfoot (expansion), Anderson (FA), Reilly (asset retention)... Ultimately, however, I think the following is pretty much locked in place through 2023.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
????-Tavares-Nylander
????-????-Mikheyev
Simmonds-????-Spezza
Brooks
Robertson
Anderson
Hallander
Amirov

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Brodie
????-Bogosian
Lijegren
Niemela
Kral

Campbell
????

What? You watch Simmonds play and think he has two more years left in him? I think he has zero. Guy can't do a thing at even strength.

He's our new Clarkson except,

- he sucks cause he's old, not just because he was never good to begin with, and
- he only earns what he's worth instead of six times as much

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

.....and his actions with Mikheyev and Tavares. I suspect his players would go through a lot for him. Hopefully the big guns remember this next time their contracts are up!

Reactions: banks

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I heard on multiple occasions from several people in the media before the playoffs started that the team doesnt owe him anything and he shouldn't be in the lineup. And I was really surprised, because since he got in the lineup, he has energized the 2nd line and been nothing but a worker. Im glad he has the opportunity to show what he can do, even tho its at JTs expense, but this just show the depth of this team is incredible and hopefully they can keep him for another year or two on the cheap.

Reactions: Stigma

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
at this point, I see Galchenyuk as a serviceable asset for the Leafs that should fit into the middle-six. I'd re-sign him to something like $6.5M for 3 years ($2M, $2.5M, $2M) if he's interested. He'd be a good stopgap until someone like Amirov, Abramov, or SDA is ready. If these prospects are ready sooner, then the Leafs could recoup the $1.25M or so from paying Engvall. If Galchenyuk stays, you'd be getting fair value at $2M and a potential steal if he puts up 50+ points with consistent two-way play and intangibles. I think he's showing signs of being a late-bloomer; you can see some serious elite skills there (like last night), and sometimes it just takes people longer and the right situation to click. Worst case, he's a moveable asset at $2-2.5M per year and would fetch a B-level prospect or 3rd-5th rounder if nothing else. Based on his Leaf career to date, some team with capspace would take the opportunity to get 3 of his prime years.

Having $3.5M combined salary next year between him and Mikheyev will help with signing more vets and a 1B or great backup for Campbell.

Leafs actually have good leverage here to get Galchenyuk on a discount - if I'm Galchenyuk, I'm not chasing the money on my next contract; Keefe's system and trust in him has been paramount to saving Galchenyuk's NHL career. If I were the latter, I'd look to milk the stability and opportunity to play within the middle 6 to re-up my value.

Options:

1 Year $1.2M
2 Years $2.8M
3 Years $6.5M

- if I'm Galchenyuk and his agent, I would prefer 2 years. Go for the stability and the opportunity to build up significant value while cashing in on a final pay day at age 30. 1 year is too much risk since we don't know if he'll be on the 3rd line or with Nylander/Tavares next year, and what the offseason will look like for the Leafs.

- if I'm Dubas, I go with 3 years at $6.5M with the hope of locking in his prime years at a discount in exchange for stability, a chance at contending each of those 3 years, and opportunity to rebuild value; at age 31, he could probably get something like $14M for 3 years or $18M for 4 years as a final payday if he performs to expectations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad