Post-Game Talk: All Kings Must Die. Penguins - 4, Rangers - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think he's a little indecisive on what to do with the puck when he pinches or is in scoring areas. He doesn't need a howitzer to finish, just needs to know when to shoot, pass, and work on shooting upstairs when in the slot. That last part could apply to most of the Pens.

you really ****ed up the double entendres

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Kudos to some of the members of this board for their digs on the main board topic about Lundqvist. I usually avoid that section like the plague, but it was pretty funny today.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sometimes there just aren't any holes open for him. And you definitely don't want to force it.

He's had so many chances in the slot, though. The guy just can't seal the deal.

It's too bad it's almost impossible to do anything about the ol' picklestabber. It's probably all just a confidence issue. Someone should sit him down and explain that it's not all about his stick. There are plenty of ways to score.

Yeah, dudes. **** jokes. That's pretty much all I got, today.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
When everyone is healthy, id sit bonino. Everyone else has been better than him, Especially rust.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Probably both but he sort of addressed that at the end of the piece with his shot attempts going up recently.

But you are right, the HFBoards narrative, at least, was that Letang is really indecisive on the PP. Both shooting and passing. I'm not sure how you stat check that argument.

I think the one thing we settled on at the end is that, with the rate that he actually hits the net, shooting more would be fantastic. And thanks for the compliment! Glad you read it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Since January 1st, Patric Hornqvist has played 26 games. He has 25 points in those 26 games (10g 15a), is a +13 (whatever), 4 PIM

Sid has 34 points (17, 17), +11, 14 PIM in the same span

I was thinking about that. Hags/Horny is like an improved Kunitz/Dupuis. :laugh: Although I think Horny's talent is easily a top 6 thing. While his hands are garbage, the stuff he does to create distractions and tip the puck is ridiculous. Hags definitely reminds me of how Dupers played in the years he was tearing it up w/ Sid. He is a spaz with the puck at times. His speed is full insane and then his mind isn't quite caught up with it. The one thing Hags needs is that ready trigger one-timer that Kunitz/Dupers developed with Sid when the went on their tear. Both guys talked about always having to be ready to shoot.

I think one of the hardest things to do is fight for positioning in front of the net AND be able to get a good tip on a puck that is anywhere from 70-100mph. The fact he does it against defenders in the NHL is amazing. His talent is something very unusual and I cannot believe he's not hurt more-so than he is. The guy's body has to take a beating every single night.

I won't hate when Horny's body stops being able to do the stuff he does. It's not normal as is. Being in front of the net taking crosschecks and pucks to your body every single game is probably the hardest way to make a living in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
its not just an ability to tip shots either. Kunitz can get in there, take hits and put his stick in the way of a shot to tip it. Or he could. But Hornqvist can open himself up for passes while getting crosschecked in the crease and still get shots off from in close to the net. Its impressive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There are a lot of things I'm not super crazy about when it comes to Hornqvist's game. But he is undoubtedly an artist in front of the opposition's net. That's beyond arguing, I think. That tip last night was pretty incredible. And that kind of thing is fairly routine, for him. It doesn't always lead to a goal, of course. But you know what I mean.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was thinking about that. Hags/Horny is like an improved Kunitz/Dupuis. :laugh: Although I think Horny's talent is easily a top 6 thing. While his hands are garbage, the stuff he does to create distractions and tip the puck is ridiculous. Hags definitely reminds me of how Dupers played in the years he was tearing it up w/ Sid. He is a spaz with the puck at times. His speed is full insane and then his mind isn't quite caught up with it. The one thing Hags needs is that ready trigger one-timer that Kunitz/Dupers developed with Sid when the went on their tear. Both guys talked about always having to be ready to shoot.

I think one of the hardest things to do is fight for positioning in front of the net AND be able to get a good tip on a puck that is anywhere from 70-100mph. The fact he does it against defenders in the NHL is amazing. His talent is something very unusual and I cannot believe he's not hurt more-so than he is. The guy's body has to take a beating every single night.

I won't hate when Horny's body stops being able to do the stuff he does. It's not normal as is. Being in front of the net taking crosschecks and pucks to your body every single game is probably the hardest way to make a living in the NHL.

Horny is freaking jacked. I think that helps but it is pretty amazing he stays healthy (as far as we know).

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Do we think Bennett or Fehr are ready to return? If Porter is out there's no extra forward to fill in. Man we could use one of those guys for the stretch run. Replace Porter and Kuhnhackl with Bennett and Fehr.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I cant be sure, but he got off 2 impressive one timers and he broke another guys stick earlier in the game. Two things im not sure his wet noodle could do.

I've been thinking for a while that he needs to go to a stiffer twig for the PP. I'm sure he's hesitant to do it because that wierd stick is a big part of his identity, but if he's going to shoot one timers he needs it.

Im a tall guy and i used to play with a 70 flex stick. I don't really shoot slap shots and the light flex makes a quick wrister much easier to get off.

I cut that out in the league I play in now. It's a faster league, and I couldn't even catch hard passes anymore, let alone fire one timers. I bumped up the flex to 85 and problem solved.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've been thinking for a while that he needs to go to a stiffer twig for the PP. I'm sure he's hesitant to do it because that wierd stick is a big part of his identity, but if he's going to shoot one timers he needs it.

Im a tall guy and i used to play with a 70 flex stick. I don't really shoot slap shots and the light flex makes a quick wrister much easier to get off.

I cut that out in the league I play in now. It's a faster league, and I couldn't even catch hard passes anymore, let alone fire one timers. I bumped up the flex to 85 and problem solved.

Damn, I played with a 110 flex and snap shots were my specialty. I never felt comfortable with tons of flex. Don't know how Kessel and especially Ovechkin do it. Course that's why they are getting payed 6.7 and 9.4mil more than me...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hagelin is a better passer than Dupuis ever was imo. He's also probably even faster, and has better hands.

His shot is way worse though.

As for Dumo, the sooner he learns how to flex his wood, the better. Not everyone is skilled at propelling rubber, so I understand he's got some things to learn. But if he learns how to wield that big stick, good things will come.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hagelin is a better passer than Dupuis ever was imo. He's also probably even faster, and has better hands.

His shot is way worse though.

As for Dumo, the sooner he learns how to flex his wood, the better. Not everyone is skilled at propelling rubber, so I understand he's got some things to learn. But if he learns how to wield that big stick, good things will come.

I wouldn't mind watching a Hags vs. Dupers (prime) race. Those dudes can wheel.

As for Dumo, his hockey smarts offensively really make me say "wow" a lot when I watch the game. An average dman of his nature would get the puck deep in the zone and throw it wildly. He has no problem just holding on to the puck and understanding that the offense is changing and will have reinforcements. He also will try to take a defender 1 on 1 and does it better than some of the vets in the league. I think that pairing w/ Daley is doing nothing but tremendous wonders for him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Mario Lemieux Foundation, they raised $1.6M with those bags. They're filled with signed pucks, signed jersey, etc.

They could have raised more by just inviting rich people to a dinner. Hawking mystery bags on television is incredibly tacky, in my opinion.

I bought one last year for my son. Got an autographed Kunitz puck, it doesn't get any better than that :yo:

:D

Wouldn't it be better to just get a certificate that says "I donated $x to the Lemieux foundation on behalf of (son's name)?"

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Damn, I played with a 110 flex and snap shots were my specialty. I never felt comfortable with tons of flex. Don't know how Kessel and especially Ovechkin do it. Course that's why they are getting payed 6.7 and 9.4mil more than me...

It's worth noting that my first game of organized ice hockey was beer league at age 25. I'm sure poor technique has something to do with it too. ;)

I'm not the smoothest skater and I play with reckless abandon in the offensive zone, so a lot of the time I'm shooting pucks reaching awkwardly or while off balance. Light flex helps me flick the puck without loading up very much.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Do we think Bennett or Fehr are ready to return? If Porter is out there's no extra forward to fill in. Man we could use one of those guys for the stretch run. Replace Porter and Kuhnhackl with Bennett and Fehr.

Not sure it will be Kuhnhackl. He has to clear waivers to get sent back. Also, I'm not sure he was placed on WBS playoff roster like the rest of them, or at least he wasn't list. Could easily see a 4th line of Kuhnhackl--Cullen--Rust, 3rd line of Bennett--Bonino--Fehr.

The question is, if neither Fehr or Bennett are ready for tomorrow, who do you bring up? If Sheary is still dinged and Sundqvist out, do we see Simon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad