Post-Game Talk: All Kings Must Die. Penguins - 4, Rangers - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Letang is definitely more talent than smarts, but I think a major issue of his would be corrected if he were on another team. Playing on a PP with two better offensive players than yourself is likely going to lead to deference.

If he was more of an equal to the forwards playing on his unit, I think you'd see him firing away more.

Jesse's article shows he has it in him to get his shots through. He just needs to shoot more often.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang's biggest issue on the PP is overthinking imo. I think that goes beyond the PP actually, but its especially noticeable there. In general, the more he relies on his instincts and athleticism the better he plays. Even defensively, I'd almost rather have him chasing somebody down from behind than having him slowly backing up with a guy. His biggest mistakes defensively come when the puck is in deep a while and he has to start making decisions on where to go and who to defend. And his biggest mistakes on offense are when he has time to hold the puck and survey the ice.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Letang's biggest issue on the PP is overthinking imo. I think that goes beyond the PP actually, but its especially noticeable there. In general, the more he relies on his instincts and athleticism the better he plays. Even defensively, I'd almost rather have him chasing somebody down from behind than having him slowly backing up with a guy. His biggest mistakes defensively come when the puck is in deep a while and he has to start making decisions on where to go and who to defend. And his biggest mistakes on offense are when he has time to hold the puck and survey the ice.

I hadn't thought about it, but I agree with this assessment. His skating, his reaction time, etc. is so good that he has the time to overthink his moves, and his decision making is often pretty bad so he leaves us shaking our heads a lot.

But that said, he is a very valuable player, I hope he can stay healthy for the stretch run and playoffs, as without him I think we're pretty much (French) toast.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Also has a bad habit of making awful decisions when it comes to shot choice. He should just stick to his wrist shot and half slapper.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hadn't thought about it, but I agree with this assessment. His skating, his reaction time, etc. is so good that he has the time to overthink his moves, and his decision making is often pretty bad so he leaves us shaking our heads a lot.

But that said, he is a very valuable player, I hope he can stay healthy for the stretch run and playoffs, as without him I think we're pretty much (French) toast.

Oh I agree. He's a great player. He's just at his best when he just goes out and plays. Sometimes you can just see the wheels turning in his head, and it leads to some scary decisions. But don't give him time to think and the dude is just a ridiculous athlete.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh I agree. He's a great player. He's just at his best when he just goes out and plays. Sometimes you can just see the wheels turning in his head, and it leads to some scary decisions. But don't give him time to think and the dude is just a ridiculous athlete.

It's funny because a lot of the players say he is one of the most cerebral on the team and is consistently watching tons of game footage.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
maybe he knows he needs to watch enough footage to make as many decisions as possible happen by instinct :laugh:

I'd call his instincts being right so often is a sign of intelligence, tbh, he's making the right decision very quickly. He's not as stupid as people make out because it seems to be more when he has time to think. I have no idea why it all goes to **** when he's actually given time to think, I'd guess overthinking but who knows.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd call his instincts being right so often is a sign of intelligence, tbh, he's making the right decision very quickly. He's not as stupid as people make out because it seems to be more when he has time to think. I have no idea why it all goes to **** when he's actually given time to think, I'd guess overthinking but who knows.

I'm not saying he's stupid. If anything, I think he might still have a bit of a confidence issue, particularly when it comes to deciding if he should make a play vs defer to Sid or Geno.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
maybe he knows he needs to watch enough footage to make as many decisions as possible happen by instinct :laugh:

I mean I completely agree that Letang's biggest weakness is his decision making. Most of the time he is cool, but sometimes he panics. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that is the stupid ass systems we've ran during his time here. He didn't look nearly as questionable with his decision making under MT and even that first cup run.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
If just one of these years tanger can stay healthy he has a legitimate chance to win the norris.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean I completely agree that Letang's biggest weakness is his decision making. Most of the time he is cool, but sometimes he panics. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that is the stupid ass systems we've ran during his time here. He didn't look nearly as questionable with his decision making under MT and even that first cup run.

I don't doubt that either. I really think he has been the biggest individual victim of our lack of effective coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad