Post-Game Talk: All Kings Must Die. Penguins - 4, Rangers - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
They could have raised more by just inviting rich people to a dinner. Hawking mystery bags on television is incredibly tacky, in my opinion.

:D

Wouldn't it be better to just get a certificate that says "I donated $x to the Lemieux foundation on behalf of (son's name)?"

It's a hockey game not the Opera. Also, Steigy updating bag counts keeps him from talking hockey--a good thing.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

As for Dumo, the sooner he learns how to flex his wood, the better. Not everyone is skilled at propelling rubber, so I understand he's got some things to learn. But if he learns how to wield that big stick, good things will come.

Yeah, I like how he bangs hard in the crease.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hagelin is a better passer than Dupuis ever was imo. He's also probably even faster, and has better hands.

His shot is way worse though.

As for Dumo, the sooner he learns how to flex his wood, the better. Not everyone is skilled at propelling rubber, so I understand he's got some things to learn. But if he learns how to wield that big stick, good things will come.
I was going to say the same thing regarding Hags. He’s really good at making those chip plays along the boards in the d-zone or neutral zone to get the puck to Sid/Geno/Kessel and let them have some speed going through the neutral zone. It makes a big difference. I’d say he’s faster than Dupuis in his prime as well, but the shot is nowhere near as good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's right. It's a hockey game, not a flea market Evangelist stall.

I didn't like the minute by minute updates, but I think the idea is cool. I can donate $250 to the Mario Lemieux foundation, but donating and with the possibility of getting a signed Penguins jersey? That's even better.

It's the players, fans, and whoever donates or pays for the apparel 'working' together for a good cause.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I didn't like the minute by minute updates, but I think the idea is cool. I can donate $250 to the Mario Lemieux foundation, but donating and with the possibility of getting a signed Penguins jersey? That's even better.

It's the players, fans, and whoever donates or pays for the apparel 'working' together for a good cause.

The only times I really minded were when they missed actual live play because of what they were doing.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I keep seeing references to Sundqvist being injured, and I heard a mention of it during a recent game telecast as well. Does anyone know what the injury is, and how long (roughly) he's out? Is it a week-to-week thing, or is it season-ending?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
i keep seeing references to sundqvist being injured, and i heard a mention of it during a recent game telecast as well. Does anyone know what the injury is, and how long (roughly) he's out? Is it a week-to-week thing, or is it season-ending?

So where ever he was on Feb.28th was when he got injured.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the info, OG. Much appreciated. The Porter injury would be less of an issue were OS healthy...

Its not an issue at all. There are plenty of player who provide more than crag adams 2.0 . Give another new guy a chance (simon) or guy with 7D

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The only times I really minded were when they missed actual live play because of what they were doing.

Steiggy just talked about it too much. Two minutes left, 10 bags, here comes Geno with 90 seconds left and 8 bags, let's see if we can sell those bags, 1 minute remaining and 5 bags...

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I can promise the new old guy Jeffrey will contribute more than Porter did.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I was thinking about that. Hags/Horny is like an improved Kunitz/Dupuis. :laugh: Although I think Horny's talent is easily a top 6 thing. While his hands are garbage, the stuff he does to create distractions and tip the puck is ridiculous. Hags definitely reminds me of how Dupers played in the years he was tearing it up w/ Sid. He is a spaz with the puck at times. His speed is full insane and then his mind isn't quite caught up with it. The one thing Hags needs is that ready trigger one-timer that Kunitz/Dupers developed with Sid when the went on their tear. Both guys talked about always having to be ready to shoot.

I think one of the hardest things to do is fight for positioning in front of the net AND be able to get a good tip on a puck that is anywhere from 70-100mph. The fact he does it against defenders in the NHL is amazing. His talent is something very unusual and I cannot believe he's not hurt more-so than he is. The guy's body has to take a beating every single night.

I won't hate when Horny's body stops being able to do the stuff he does. It's not normal as is. Being in front of the net taking crosschecks and pucks to your body every single game is probably the hardest way to make a living in the NHL.

Big difference between Hags and Duper is that Hags is fast WITH the puck.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Good thing he added in blocked shots on the second half of the article then, huh?

The problem with the method is that is does not take into account quality of shot. A lot of the complaints about Letang are that he waits too long to shoot and/or he takes really awful shots. This results in his shots being blocked a lot, which is evidenced by the fact he was only +8 in shots on goal to the +68 in total shots from one statistic group to the other. When you combine lots of bad misses, lots of blocks, and a lot of poor shots, you get the legitimacy of the complaints about Letang.

Anyway, the point is, Letang's stats are passable for a D but are not good enough to discuss moving to F.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem with the method is that is does not take into account quality of shot. A lot of the complaints about Letang are that he waits too long to shoot and/or he takes really awful shots. This results in his shots being blocked a lot, evidenced by the fact he was only +8 in shots on goal to the +68 in total shots from one statistic group to the other. When you combine lots of bad misses, lots of blocks, and a lot of poor shots, you get the legitimacy of the complaints about Letang.

Anyway, the point is, Letang's stats are passable for a D but do not indicate a play worthy of moving to F.

Or defensemen just miss the net a lot. Kris Letang is top three in this league in terms of offensive ability as a defenseman, every single stat you can pull proves it.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Or defensemen just miss the net a lot. Kris Letang is top three in this league in terms of offensive ability as a defenseman, every single stat you can pull proves it.

How good he is compared to other defensemen is not the topic of discussion. This is like the old "if a CB could catch he would play WR". Letang isn't a good shot, so he's learned to play defense.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Steiggy just talked about it too much. Two minutes left, 10 bags, here comes Geno with 90 seconds left and 8 bags, let's see if we can sell those bags, 1 minute remaining and 5 bags...

Well we shouldn't be shocked. Steigy is horrible at his job, I wouldn't expect him to be good St doing his job while selling me on a charity.

I'm not a fan of ROOT's presentations in general. Potash is probably the least-offensive part.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Big difference between Hags and Duper is that Hags is fast WITH the puck.

Yep. It isn't near ideal (we'll probably have to wait for Sprong to develop for that), but Hagelin can definitely carry the puck through the neutral zone at a high rate of speed and push defenses back. Sid desperately needs that.

Where it'll be frustrating is when Hagelin won't be able to get the puck back to Crosby.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How good he is compared to other defensemen is not the topic of discussion. This is like the old "if a CB could catch he would play WR". Letang isn't a good shot, so he's learned to play defense.

Letang isn't a good shot but has put up 10 or more goals in 4 seasons as a defenseman. He's also a bad passer even though he has 219 assists in 491 games.

Oh, I forgot it's just because he plays with Malkin and Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins recalled Archibald to replace Porter. I'm surprised as many of Shero's college picks ended up being something in the pros.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

The article compares Letang to the best defensemen in the league, and he comes out on top. The only argument you have to make is that Letang holds on to the puck to long. But, you know what, he also scores more points per 60 minutes on the power play than any of the other defensemen on Jesse's list, so he's doing something right.

How good Letang is compared to other defenseman is extremely important. How else do you judge how good an NHL defenseman is at anything than to take into account his peers? What benchmark are you going to use to determine whether his performance is good or bad? That statement is just so far removed from reality. . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad