Post-Game Talk: All is Well! Pens 6, Edmonton - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Michael8771*

The Oilers have won 18 games this year. Out of those 18 games only two of those wins are against teams that aren't in the playoffs. Two months ago they blew out the Isles 5 - 1 with the Isles scoring a power play goal in the last thirty seconds.
And what exactly does that have to do with the question I posed?

I asked what other team blew a four goal lead to the oilers.

Michael8771*

I'll take this back to Riptide's thread about draft picks. Our team went to back to back finals in 08 - 09 and then was favored on having another huge run in 10. That really f'd up our draft position those three years. The Hawks had a terrible draft in 2010 and then did great in 2011 when they were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. Not to mention they sold half their team off because their GM couldn't sign qualifying offers. From 2010 to 2013 we could have a prospect pool of Murray, Bennett, Pouliot, Harrington, Sundqvist and Maatta.

Oh wait, Bennett is already gone because IcedCapp said so in PMs, I forgot.
If you forgot, you wouldn't be able to bring it up. So, you actually remembered.

Michael8771*

Bad teams get up when they are playing good teams. Good teams don't. The Pens scored four goals in the first 25 minutes and then coasted and a rookie defenseman got outplayed twice. What should we do bench DP?
I didn't even suggest we bench anyone. I'm merely making a point that you don't blow a four goal lead. In general good teams don't blow sizable leads like that. Particularly against one of the worst teams in the league.

Michael8771*

Okay, Mr. Technical. The Pens didn't actually "blow" a lead, since they won the game against EDM. :sarcasm:
Actually they did blow the lead, the game was tied, they pulled ahead, but they blew a four goal lead nonetheless. And that is being technical as well as accurate.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I wouldn't say he is over passing or anything close to that TBTH. He's been pretty much a straight line guy for a few weeks now. Basically just making simple plays, getting it deep, throwing pucks on net from wherever, and being extremely cautious with his positioning. He's not the creative BB I used to watch in college/A, but I have honestly disconnected myself from caring if he develops here, knowing what Capp told me.

MJ said he is playing well, that his production doesn't matter much at this point, and he is now happy with his "compete level", so whatever.

I'm positive they will sell low on him this summer, so I only care that he does what MJ wants so he can stay in the lineup and keep Adams on the bench.
Exactly this.

Heard Starkey and Mueller on the radio ripping Downie basically because MJ called him out. That's just bs. Downie got called for hooking on a play where he lifted a guy's stick. It was a horrible call. Also, Downie had 2 points including the gwg. The Pittsburgh media is just a bunch of corporate sheep who are either too scared or too stupid to think for themselves.
I'm even more disturbed that MJ called him out. What kind of mickey mouse coach did we bring in here?

Michael8771*

Yeah, you're right.

Anyways, I don't think it is a disconcerting as you do. Let's see how it plays into the weekend.
I'll be watching very intently this weekend. I'll be studying every aspect of our game. If we make a good first pass, have good gap, win the battles along the boards, stay in our lanes defensively, watch to see if the forwards backcheck in earnest! Oh yes, I'll be watching!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'll take this back to Riptide's thread about draft picks. Our team went to back to back finals in 08 - 09 and then was favored on having another huge run in 10. That really f'd up our draft position those three years. The Hawks had a terrible draft in 2010 and then did great in 2011 when they were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. Not to mention they sold half their team off because their GM couldn't sign qualifying offers. From 2010 to 2013 we could have a prospect pool of Murray, Bennett, Pouliot, Harrington, Sundqvist and Maatta.

Oh wait, Bennett is already gone because IcedCapp said so in PMs, I forgot.

How many points have the Hawks picks from 08-11 contributed in the playoffs vs the Pens picks in that span?

Have fun justifying that.

And Capp is three for three. How about your sources?

Thought so.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If not, I'll be happy with the fact that one of our prized defenseman is getting real ice time, our top six is the best it's looked since 2013 which was an anomaly, and the idea of playing whatever the hell Dan Bylsma hockey is is finally being thrown out of our players minds. Also, I'll hopefully be watching Sid steal the Art Ross from JT and watching Islanders fans ***** about stats like secondary assists.

Go Pens.

So, better than last year?

And still, not sure I agree with that. Our top 6 is very average as a whole.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
How many points have the Hawks picks from 08-11 contributed in the playoffs vs the Pens picks in that span?

Have fun justifying that.

For fun's sake.

Chicago:
Ben Smith (2008, 6th) - 27 games, 9 points (fun fact: only 2008 Hawks pick to play more than one game in the NHL so far)
Dylan Olsen (2009, 1st) - 1 game, 0 points
Marcus Kruger (2009, 5th) - 53 games, 10 points
Joakim Nordstrom (2010, 3rd) - 7 games, 0 points
Brandon Saad (2011, 2nd) - 44 games, 23 points
Andrew Shaw (2011, 5th) - 38 games, 17 points
TOTAL - 170 games, 59 points (~.35 PPG)

Pittsburgh:
Simon Despres (2009, 1st) - 6 games, 0 points
Beau Bennett (2010, 1st) - 18 games, 6 points
TOTAL - 24 games, 6 points (0.25 PPG)

Take out the 2011 draft (since HFB loves to take away your biggest accomplishments to prove you suck) and Chicago's group also looks pretty weak with 19 points in 88 games for ~.22 PPG.

I didn't count, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago had double the amount of picks Pittsburgh did over that span.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
he hasn't even played 82 games in the league

he should be getting help, he should be put in a position to succeed. toffoli was and he did. bennett hasn't been and he hasn't.

no one has ever claimed that bennett can carry a line or singlehandedly pot 40 points. never. that's an idiotic strawman

bennett's skill set is his playmaking. don't tell me in three years you still haven't learned that. he needs players around him to put the puck in the net

this is terrible, awful logic. the kind of logic that sent despres to anaheim. young players that shine in spite of everything are the exception, not the norm. every player that isn't olli maatta doesn't suck

How about this: Force Bennett to be greedy and not rely on anyone. Become a complete player, take it to the net, "Shoot more."

I'd rather try and get him to do that and round out his game than try to make him a permanent 3rd liner. He can do it, but will he?

That's a logical choice. He's got to be able to be a threat at any given time. That's with the puck on his stick and distributing the puck.

Saad gets brought up a lot with Bennett, but Bennett isn't Saad. Saad is a complete player, and he does drive the net and try to score and has.

If Bennett can't be what this team needs him to be you'll just be spinning your wheels with him.

Make him be his own player. Shooting for less out of him is a 3rd liner.

All the ability and no substance.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The Penguins managed to avoid a four goal come back from the Edmonton Oilers to edge out a 6-4 win. The Penguins raced to a 3-0 lead in the first period led by a short-handed Brandon Sutter goal, depicted in the above image. Sutter added his second of the game after a lucky rebound off a point shot. Crosby added a bit of flair to the game with his pass to Perron for the third and final goal in the frame.

Read more; http://t.co/TbH22YIQ8C

Just a bit of info. I'm now a partner and I have just started out so any positive criticism is welcome. Thank you and I hope it leads to something!

Fordy

May 28, 2008
How about this: Force Bennett to be greedy and not rely on anyone. Become a complete player, take it to the net, "Shoot more."

I'd rather try and get him to do that and round out his game than try to make him a permanent 3rd liner. He can do it, but will he?

That's a logical choice. He's got to be able to be a threat at any given time. That's with the puck on his stick and distributing the puck.

Saad gets brought up a lot with Bennett, but Bennett isn't Saad. Saad is a complete player, and he does drive the net and try to score and has.

If Bennett can't be what this team needs him to be you'll just be spinning your wheels with him.

Make him be his own player. Shooting for less out of him is a 3rd liner.

All the ability and no substance.

another "make bennett into something he isn't"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For fun's sake.

Chicago:
Ben Smith (2008, 6th) - 27 games, 9 points (fun fact: only 2008 Hawks pick to play more than one game in the NHL so far)
Dylan Olsen (2009, 1st) - 1 game, 0 points
Marcus Kruger (2009, 5th) - 53 games, 10 points
Joakim Nordstrom (2010, 3rd) - 7 games, 0 points
Brandon Saad (2011, 2nd) - 44 games, 23 points
Andrew Shaw (2011, 5th) - 38 games, 17 points
TOTAL - 170 games, 59 points (~.35 PPG)

Pittsburgh:
Simon Despres (2009, 1st) - 6 games, 0 points
Beau Bennett (2010, 1st) - 18 games, 6 points
TOTAL - 24 games, 6 points (0.25 PPG)

Take out the 2011 draft (since HFB loves to take away your biggest accomplishments to prove you suck) and Chicago's group also looks pretty weak with 19 points in 88 games for ~.22 PPG.

I didn't count, but I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago had double the amount of picks Pittsburgh did over that span.

6 points vs 59.

Now let's play "That's Really ****ed Up!"

A guy the Hawks took in the 6th round has more points in the playoffs (9) than every single draft pick combined for the Pens during that span.

But ya, similar situations.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Scuderi saw a notable drop in ice time after the trade deadline. Lovejoy is a better version of everything he brings, not to mention Scuderi is the only player on defense now that can't move the puck like MJ wants his defensemen too. The team is obviously banking on playing DP on the power play and in at least a bottom six role come playoffs. Scuderi is easily the odd man out.

What you say is very logical, but after more than 60 games Scuds hasn't sat. MJ has said it before, Scuds is his shut down guy. Unless there is a miracle, I am resigned to the fact that Scuds will here until the end of his contract. What they see in him is beyond all logic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
6 points vs 59.

Now let's play "That's Really ****ed Up!"

A guy the Hawks took in the 6th round has more points in the playoffs (9) than every single draft pick combined for the Pens during that span.

But ya, similar situations.

And they just traded him for Andrew Desjardins!

Contenders trade their picks / prospects. Teams that aren't contenders take advantage of it.

Take a look at Winnipeg / Islanders / Nashville's top scorers. They are all from teams that got into cap issues. We've been in cap issues since we won the cup. Welcome to the cup era.

If you want the Penguins to flounder and get some good picks that is fine, but management and the majority of the fan base aren't going to stand for that. Our record outside of one cup is pretty much identical in the playoffs compared to the Hawks, Kings, and Bruins. We are one of the four best teams in the last ten years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What you say is very logical, but after more than 60 games Scuds hasn't sat. MJ has said it before, Scuds is his shut down guy. Unless there is a miracle, I am resigned to the fact that Scuds will here until the end of his contract. What they see in him is beyond all logic.

Scuderi is going to sit in the next five games. His responses about having seven defensemen are obvious to anyone not holding grudges against our last coach.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And they just traded him for Andrew Desjardins!

Contenders trade their picks / prospects. Teams that aren't contenders take advantage of it.

Take a look at Winnipeg / Islanders / Nashville's top scorers. They are all from teams that got into cap issues. We've been in cap issues since we won the cup. Welcome to the cup era.

If you want the Penguins to flounder and get some good picks that is fine, but management and the majority of the fan base aren't going to stand for that. Our record outside of one cup is pretty much identical in the playoffs compared to the Hawks, Kings, and Bruins. We are one of the four best teams in the last ten years.

This post is so incoherent that I have no idea what you are even rambling about.

The Hawks are easily the most successful team in the league over the last 6 years with LA.

Talking about the Pens floundering for picks makes zero sense and is a garbage argument. Only a fool would argue agt the numbers that were just presented.

I'll post them again:

59 points vs 6. As I said before, good luck arguing agt that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad