Post-Game Talk: All is Well! Pens 6, Edmonton - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
During 2013-14 when Tyler Toffoli "broke out" he averaged 12 minutes a game and put up 29 points. He did play 64 games.

In contrast to this year Bennett has averaged 13:14 a game and put up 10 points in 34 games. Even if you prorate it they aren't close.

Players that have the skill to overcome the talent they are usually against on the third and fourth line score. Bennett simply isn't living up to his potential. Part of it is being dicked around, part of it is also on him.

Meh. Most of these young guys, even the best ones, hit really bad streaks where they struggle to produce.

Toffoli had a big slump last season where he put up 2 points in 19 games. In 18 of those games he had goose eggs. This year his slump was 3 in 13.

Saad put up 4 in 22 to start his career and he was getting to play with Hossa and Toews. Last season he had a slump where he put up 1 in 11. JQ said he needed to be more consistent to start this season, and he is finally doing that after three years of being in their top six.

Even playing with talent like Carter, Hossa, Toews, etc, those guys still had big slumps. It's just how it goes for most young top six guys.

But as I keep trying to emphasize, BB only function is to help keep Adams sitting. That's all we should really care or hope for from him until he is moved.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He's a good complementary player for a top six center. It's lost on people that certain players aren't a good fit in certain roles if you're going to ask them for production.

This is like the Despres thing. Nobody claimed he was Bobby Orr, and nobody's claiming Bennet is an 80 point player.

Someone draw me a pretty chart of Kunitz's totals. Please be sure to include his PP time, as well as how often he's on the ice with the two best centers in the league. I'll hang up and listen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
But as I keep trying to emphasize, BB only function is to keep Adams sitting. That's all we should really care or hope for from him until he is moved.

What I'm saying is part of the reason BB is being held back is his play and also the coaching. Let's see how MJ uses him in the playoffs. If Malkin and Crosby are double shifting between Winnik and Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised to see BB have a similar coming out party to Toffoli. If he doesn't are you guys going to still be pretending that the only reason he isn't succeeding is because #experience and our coaching?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
look at what beau bennett does with his golden opportunity:

ZZOggxf.jpg

err wait

that's kunitz

one 3 assist game. one two point game

otherwise? beau bennett with more minutes (tethered to crosby and malkin at even strength, pp, and 4 on 4) and a worse plus/minus

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
look at what beau bennett does with his golden opportunity:

ZZOggxf.jpg

err wait

that's kunitz

one 3 assist game. one two point game

otherwise? beau bennett with more minutes and a worse plus/minus

Nobody is defending Kunitz. The fact that he is on a 4 v 3 power play instead of Perron or Hornqvist is ridiculous.

I don't think Kunitz is going to hamper us THIS YEAR as much as people think though.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Nobody is defending Kunitz. The fact that he is on a 4 v 3 power play instead of Perron or Hornqvist is ridiculous.

someone wanted to see his chart

if anyone doubts that bennett would match that production in identical play time and situations, stand up and be counted

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What I'm saying is part of the reason BB is being held back is his play and also the coaching. Let's see how MJ uses him in the playoffs. If Malkin and Crosby are double shifting between Winnik and Bennett, I wouldn't be surprised to see BB have a similar coming out party to Toffoli. If he doesn't are you guys going to still be pretending that the only reason he isn't succeeding is because #experience and our coaching?

I'm not pretending anything. I couldn't care less what MJ does with BB. Just keep Adams on the bench.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
They're not sitting Scuderi. They're too stupid to do it.

And if I ever see Steiggy on the street, I'm going to challenge him to a fight or something. The second the Oilers scored that 2nd PP goal, I could smell the "Well, Craig Adams is out of the lineup," and he didn't disappoint.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Keep dreaming haha.

Scuderi saw a notable drop in ice time after the trade deadline. Lovejoy is a better version of everything he brings, not to mention Scuderi is the only player on defense now that can't move the puck like MJ wants his defensemen too. The team is obviously banking on playing DP on the power play and in at least a bottom six role come playoffs. Scuderi is easily the odd man out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It'll be really interesting to see the BB/SD fan club when they scratch Scuderi and roll Ehrhoff - Cole, DP - Lovejoy, Martin - Letang come playoffs.

It'll be more interesting to see how people justify the fact the Pens got nothing out of their first rounders from 2008-2011 when BB is moved.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Heard Starkey and Mueller on the radio ripping Downie basically because MJ called him out. That's just bs. Downie got called for hooking on a play where he lifted a guy's stick. It was a horrible call. Also, Downie had 2 points including the gwg. The Pittsburgh media is just a bunch of corporate sheep who are either too scared or too stupid to think for themselves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It'll be more interesting to see how people justify the fact the Pens got nothing out of their first rounders from 2008-2011 when BB is moved.

Hard to get something out of a first rounder that was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers in a move that had us one win away from a game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals. Also, BB being moved for an asset that helps our team is fine.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
It'll be really interesting to see the BB/SD fan club when they scratch Scuderi and roll Ehrhoff - Cole, DP - Lovejoy, Martin - Letang come playoffs.

You are just wrong. When Ehrhoff gets back it's obvious that either Cole or Pouliot will be the odd man out. Scuderi is one of the golden boys.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Scuderi saw a notable drop in ice time after the trade deadline. Lovejoy is a better version of everything he brings, not to mention Scuderi is the only player on defense now that can't move the puck like MJ wants his defensemen too. The team is obviously banking on playing DP on the power play and in at least a bottom six role come playoffs. Scuderi is easily the odd man out.

Oh I totally agree with you.

I'll just believe it when I see it ;) I can't give this organization the benefit of the doubt after the asinine moves they've pulled off in the last few years.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

scuderi plays more than cole and pouliot. cole is getting the fewest minutes. he's the odd man out

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Are people forgetting that the organization thought that Despres was holding Scuderi back? Are they forgetting that Scuderi is touted as a "security blanket". The organization thinks very highly of Scuderi for whatever reason and he is never going to be scratched. There is no debate to be had about this topic.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Chicago Blackhawks - 2008 - 2011 first round draft picks

2008 - Kyle Beach - In Austrian League
2009 - Dylan Olsen - Traded with Jimmy Hayes for Kyle Versteeg - Hawks don't win a cup
2010 - Kevin Hayes - Left for nothing, tearing it up with NYR
2011 - Mark McNeill - AHL

Boston Bruins
2008 - Joe Colborne - Playing for the Flames - traded for Kabby - Boston wins the cup
2009 - Jordan Caron - Playing for the Avs - traded for Talbot
2010 - Tyler Seguin - Playing for Dallas - traded for Loui, Riley, and Morrow
2011- Dougie Hamilton - Playing solid minutes for the club

LA Kings
2008 - Drew Doughty - Stud
2009 - Schenn - Traded for Richards - Wins two cups after Schenn is a fringe top six center / winger for Flyers
2010 - Toffoli - Stud
2011- no pick

Doesn't look so bad.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
he hasn't even played 82 games in the league

he should be getting help, he should be put in a position to succeed. toffoli was and he did. bennett hasn't been and he hasn't.

no one has ever claimed that bennett can carry a line or singlehandedly pot 40 points. never. that's an idiotic strawman

bennett's skill set is his playmaking. don't tell me in three years you still haven't learned that. he needs players around him to put the puck in the net

this is terrible, awful logic. the kind of logic that sent despres to anaheim. young players that shine in spite of everything are the exception, not the norm. every player that isn't olli maatta doesn't suck

Yep, its typical asinine hockey logic... some guys are simply not useful in a third or fourth line role. teams that cant understand that are the kind of teams that go decades without developing non cant miss top end talent, and the Pens have always been one of those teams...

Here is the thing, a talented playmaker getting minutes with a line with finishers which is expected to score, not grind or play D first and foremost will be more productive... on the flip side playing a third line grunt in the top 6 with Crosby or malkin may get him to show some scoring ability, but overall the line isn't often producing at peak efficiency...

in other words a comeau in the top 6 or a washed up Kunitz was foolish especially over a young guy like Bennett during a mostly useless regular season... give the kid 20 games in the top 6 to see how he works before you pull the plug on his development...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad