Post-Game Talk: All is Well! Pens 6, Edmonton - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hard to get something out of a first rounder that was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers in a move that had us one win away from a game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals. Also, BB being moved for an asset that helps our team is fine.

It doesn't change the fact that is a lost pick that currently adds zero value to this org right now.

BB isn't going to be moved for an asset that has much value.

The Pens will then have a 31 year old tweener blueliner, a longshot prospect in Guentzel and a minimal value asset to show for their four picks in that span.

Start the parade.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Heard Starkey and Mueller on the radio ripping Downie basically because MJ called him out. That's just bs. Downie got called for hooking on a play where he lifted a guy's stick. It was a horrible call. Also, Downie had 2 points including the gwg. The Pittsburgh media is just a bunch of corporate sheep who are either too scared or too stupid to think for themselves.

LOL oh **** those two and their mothers.

It wasn't a slash or a punch. He tried to lift a guy's stick and his stick rode up too high and he got called on a half assed hook. That call wouldn't have been made at 4-4 but again, that was reffing the score.

Still though, I'm not sure how Downie gets blamed for the 1st goal, or the 2nd goal, or the 4th goal. I seem to remember good old Kunitz taking a slashing penalty when the game was 4-0 though.

And of course, let's all ignore how Downie came back and scored the GWG to make up for his mistake.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If this organization had drafted Brandon Saad he would have languished in our bottom 6 and would have been traded by now. People who defend the way the organization is using Bennett are crazy. He has a top 6 skillset and the top 6 is the only place where he will be able to reach his potential.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Scuderi is not sitting. Everybody here obviously thinks he should and it sucks that he won't but the fact is he is not sitting. Deal with it.

Just like the Pens are the only ones that have one asset to show from first round draft picks in 2008 - 2011.

Oh wait, two of the last three Stanley Cup Winners have the same issue!

The amount of over exaggeration about how bad this franchise is ran is rampant on this board. Nobody thought MJ would scratch Adams, play Perron and Horny with Crosby, etc. Why don't we actually wait and see what happens rather than jump on the "**** the Pens, they don't do anything right" train. Our team has become one of the best defensive teams in the league which is exactly what we needed to do after the Rangers series. We have more physicality and size and a bottom six that can actually handle the puck.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It doesn't change the fact that is a lost pick that currently adds zero value to this org right now.

BB isn't going to be moved for an asset that has much value.

The Pens will then have a 31 year old tweener blueliner, a longshot prospect in Guentzel and a minimal value asset to show for their four picks in that span.

Start the parade.

From the same span of time

Chicago has Kris Versteeg

Boston has Dougie Hamilton and Riley Smith and the only reason they have that is because Brian Burke was dumb enough to trade three first rounders.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Last game...Scuderi had 21 minutes of ice time. That was second behind Letang.

:cry:

It's not that surprising. Pouliot and Lovejoy had a bad game and Cole is pretty clearly the 7D, no idea why he got more than Martin, though. Probably because Scuderi is so integral to their success, maybe something to do with it looking like a blowout for awhile or something. idk, they'll probably prove me wrong and keep doing it, it was totally to stabilize the team while they were in free fall. :help:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Just like the Pens are the only ones that have one asset to show from first round draft picks in 2008 - 2011.

Oh wait, two of the last three Stanley Cup Winners have the same issue!

The amount of over exaggeration about how bad this franchise is ran is rampant on this board. Nobody thought MJ would scratch Adams, play Perron and Horny with Crosby, etc. Why don't we actually wait and see what happens rather than jump on the "**** the Pens, they don't do anything right" train. Our team has become one of the best defensive teams in the league which is exactly what we needed to do after the Rangers series. We have more physicality and size and a bottom six that can actually handle the puck.

They scratched Adams about 55 games too late and they only put P-C-H together after a full month of the top 6 doing absolutely nothing. If that's the best counter you've got then your argument isn't very good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They scratched Adams about 55 games too late and they only put P-C-H together after a full month of the top 6 doing absolutely nothing. If that's the best counter you've got then your argument isn't very good.

Must best counter argument doesn't even matter because nothing really matters for this team until we see how they perform in the playoffs. The fact is Adams is scratched and they are playing one of their premiere defensive prospects in the top 4.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Must best counter argument doesn't even matter because nothing really matters for this team until we see how they perform in the playoffs. The fact is Adams is scratched and they are playing one of their premiere defensive prospects in the top 4.

What has MJ done this year to make you think Scuderi will be scratched? It's clear the organization thinks Scuderi is a penalty killing stud and "security blanket" for less experienced players. He is not going to be scratched.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What has MJ done this year to make you think Scuderi will be scratched? It's clear the organization thinks Scuderi is a penalty killing stud and "security blanket" for less experienced players. He is not going to be scratched.

Played him as a # 5 during one of the hardest road trips of the year.

Also the fact that Martin and Letang and DP and Lovejoy seem like they will be set pairings.

And the fact MJs system caters towards puck moving and Cole is a much better puck mover than Scuds.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Played him as a # 5 during one of the hardest road trips of the year.

Also the fact that Martin and Letang and DP and Lovejoy seem like they will be set pairings.

And the fact MJs system caters towards puck moving and Cole is a much better puck mover than Scuds.

All I'm gonna say is prepare for disappointment.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
All I'm gonna say is prepare for disappointment.

If not, I'll be happy with the fact that one of our prized defenseman is getting real ice time, our top six is the best it's looked since 2013 which was an anomaly, and the idea of playing whatever the hell Dan Bylsma hockey is is finally being thrown out of our players minds. Also, I'll hopefully be watching Sid steal the Art Ross from JT and watching Islanders fans ***** about stats like secondary assists.

Go Pens.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yep, its typical asinine hockey logic... some guys are simply not useful in a third or fourth line role. teams that cant understand that are the kind of teams that go decades without developing non cant miss top end talent, and the Pens have always been one of those teams...

Here is the thing, a talented playmaker getting minutes with a line with finishers which is expected to score, not grind or play D first and foremost will be more productive... on the flip side playing a third line grunt in the top 6 with Crosby or malkin may get him to show some scoring ability, but overall the line isn't often producing at peak efficiency...

in other words a comeau in the top 6 or a washed up Kunitz was foolish especially over a young guy like Bennett during a mostly useless regular season... give the kid 20 games in the top 6 to see how he works before you pull the plug on his development...

Here's the problem.

Even if all that would be accepted (and with Comeau, the argument is dubious) that still doesn't explain why Bennett should move up over Downie. Downie's got a similar draft pedigree and better track record of production in both top and bottom six roles, at the same age and now.

Furthermore, in those "six good games with Malkin" I hear so much about (in the last three of those games, that line was brutal...not Crosby/Bennett brutal, but brutal), they got lit up at the other end of the ice. Scored about 3 goals per 60 and gave up almost 5. If a Sabres line had given up that many goals against, it would be broken up and the Sabres aren't even trying to win games.

No combination of NHL forwards can score enough to offset the chances they were seeing the other way. Don't care if it's Malkin, Perry and Giroux; if they're giving up a goal for every twelve or thirteen minutes of ice time; no NHL coach is keeping that line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
From the same span of time

Chicago has Kris Versteeg

Boston has Dougie Hamilton and Riley Smith and the only reason they have that is because Brian Burke was dumb enough to trade three first rounders.

The difference is the Hawks grabbed Saad in the second round, they have depth from Shaw and Kruger while McNeill is still a good damn prospect that will get a legit shot next season when they are in cap hell.

The Pens will have Harrington and if they are lucky, maybe Rust to show from those drafts.

Not really even comparable.

As for Boston, they still have those guys, so I'm not going to pretend they don't exist.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The difference is the Hawks grabbed Saad in the second round, they have depth from Shaw and Kruger while McNeill is still a good damn prospect that will get a legit shot next season when they are in cap hell.

The Pens will have Harrington and if they are lucky, maybe Rust to show from those drafts.

Not really even comparable.

I thought we were talking about first round picks?

You simply don't want to acknowledge that cup contenders consistently sell off younger assets for "experienced" pieces. I'm not agreeing with it, I think the Despres trade was the stupidest move we've made since 2005, but I don't see why you can't comprehend that other GMs routinely make poor decisions with young players consistently.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I thought we were talking about first round picks?

You simply don't want to acknowledge that cup contenders consistently sell off younger assets for "experienced" pieces. I'm not agreeing with it, I think the Despres trade was the stupidest move we've made since 2005, but I don't see why you can't comprehend that other GMs routinely make poor decisions with young players consistently.

We were talking about first round picks. That doesn't mean we ignore that there are other picks in the draft and how it all plays into my point. The Pens are going to piss away all of those first round picks and then they drafted like ass in the rest of those drafts as well.

If you can't follow the logic that Chicago is better off than the Pens (even though they missed on their first rounder in 2010) because they grabbed Saad, then I can't help you out anymore. The Hawks will also get a second round comp pick for losing Hayes.

Again, they still have some valuable assets from those draft years: Saad, Shaw, Kruger, McNeill and a second rounder this year.

It's not even comparable to the Pens assets accrued from those drafts. That's why they are in no position to piss these guys away they took in the first round.

Last edited:

PSUPEN

Apr 1, 2013
Even the best teams have games like this.

But the whining in this thread.

This is why we are the creme de la creme, nutjobs.

:handclap: The sky is falling!

"If you kids don't settle down back there, I am going to pull this car over"

"We won't stop for ice cream.:sarcasm: "

Michael8771*

:handclap: The sky is falling!

"If you kids don't settle down back there, I am going to pull this car over"

"We won't stop for ice cream.:sarcasm: "
Really? Name one other team this season that blew a 4-0 lead to the Oilers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We were talking about first round picks. That doesn't mean we ignore that there are other picks in the draft and how it all plays into my point. The Pens are going to piss away all of those first round picks and then they drafted like ass in the rest of those drafts as well.

If you can't follow the logic that Chicago is better off than the Pens (even though they missed on their first rounder in 2010) because they grabbed Saad, then I can't help you out anymore. The Hawks will also get a second round comp pick for losing Hayes.

Again, they still have some valuable assets from those draft years: Saad, Shaw, Kruger, McNeill and a second rounder this year.

It's not even comparable to the Pens assets accrued from those drafts. That's why they are in no position to piss these guys away they took in the first round.

I'll take this back to Riptide's thread about draft picks. Our team went to back to back finals in 08 - 09 and then was favored on having another huge run in 10. That really f'd up our draft position those three years. The Hawks had a terrible draft in 2010 and then did great in 2011 when they were knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. Not to mention they sold half their team off because their GM couldn't sign qualifying offers. From 2010 to 2013 we could have a prospect pool of Murray, Bennett, Pouliot, Harrington, Sundqvist and Maatta.

Oh wait, Bennett is already gone because IcedCapp said so in PMs, I forgot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad