All Indications that Ryan Carter will be back

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I hope they keep Brunner. They need his speed. Ryder should be the one to go. Gionta Zubrus and Bernier after that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hope they keep Brunner. They need his speed. Ryder should be the one to go. Gionta Zubrus and Bernier after that.

If any fan who attends games watched Ryder last season at every or most homes games, and paid attention to him when he's away from the puck in addition to with the puck, they will know he's a dog that needs to go.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If any fan who attends games watched Ryder last season at every or most homes games, and paid attention to him when he's away from the puck in addition to with the puck, they will know he's a dog that needs to go.

That may be true and he may be streaky as hell buy at the end of the day he scored almost 20 goals on a team starved for scoring. Brunner hasn't shown anything to warrant keeping him around. Speed is his only asset.....trade him to Detroit for a 3rd or forward prospect and move on

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Exactly.

My favorite thing to do when I go to games, especially when you are sitting up top is to single out a player every shift and just watch them. I did this with Giroux during the Devils/Flyers series and realized he's an *******.

You can learn so much about a player by doing that, and if you're watching the right player, it's sometimes fun to see the play before it happens. There's a lot of times I flip out and whoever is with me says something and I will be like "Henrique was wide open if they waited a second later."

I typically do this with the young guys when they get called up, like you could tell Whitney was so lost and completely lacked any confidence in his first game. He was purposely skating to areas where he wouldn't get the puck.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
pictures.aspx

Lou's trying!

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

That is not much different from Brunner

Brunner has the speed Ryder doesn't and Ryder has the shot Brunner doesn't

We need offensive help

Ryder is a proven 20+ goal scorer who had a rough year on a team that everybody essentially had a rough year, Brunner is pretty much a question mark

Take your pick, goal scoring and shot or speed and loads of question marks

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

We need offensive help

Ryder is a proven 20+ goal scorer who had a rough year on a team that everybody essentially had a rough year, Brunner is pretty much a question mark

Ryder shows absolutely no effort or desire away from the puck. Brunner at least shows hustle. I would take Brunner's 3 less goals, if you consider the 11 goals in 60 games is equivalent to 15 in 82, over Ryder's nonchalant, no effort game every day of the week.

Ryder offers nothing to a line other then his shot when he's wide open. To me, he brings down the skill players that he plays with. I would rather see Brunner there where he can hustle and create space with his speed, rather then Ryder coasting around avoiding hits.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Ryder shows absolutely no effort or desire away from the puck. Brunner at least shows hustle. I would take Brunner's 3 less goals, if you consider the 11 goals in 60 games is equivalent to 15 in 82, over Ryder's nonchalant, no effort game every day of the week.

Ryder offers nothing to a line other then his shot when he's wide open. To me, he brings down the skill players that he plays with. I would rather see Brunner there where he can hustle and create space with his speed, rather then Ryder coasting around avoiding hits.

We have enough people on the team good away from the puck. Brunner requires to much space to be effective offensively. I don't want to ditch Ryder goal scoring ability, we simply can't afford to lose him. I have not liked Brunner since he was in the league.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
What goal scoring ability? Dude had 1 goal in 33 games down the stretch.

Guy can't bring anything but one-timers, and he needs time and space to use that shot. How many times did Ryder get the puck on the stick in his slot and either fan on it or hesitate long enough for the opposing defense to handle him? A lot.

At least Brunner can carry the puck and skate.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Hustle is great if you know what you are doing, otherwise it is useless

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We have enough people on the team good away from the puck. Brunner requires to much space to be effective offensively. I don't want to ditch Ryder goal scoring ability, we simply can't afford to lose him. I have not liked Brunner since he was in the league.

That's what I said when we first got him. But I can't stand to watch another game where he coasts around the ice, avoids a hit, and loses the puck. He's too inconsistent and when he's not scoring, he offers nothing else.

Hustle is great if you know what you are doing, otherwise it is useless

Yes, but you can't teach hustle. You can redirect it into something useful. To me, it's better seeing that then someone coasting around, but then again, I'm the type of person where if I'm doing something, I can't just sit there and do it half ass, so I personally can't stand watching players like Ryder.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would bet that Ryder bounces back. Even if he only scores 18 goals again, that's 18 goals that we aren't gonna replace this year. 18 goals by him isn't bad, as long as he doesn't only score 2 goals during one half of the season again.

Some people actually think that roach Bernier will bounce back, but don't think Ryder will?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yes, but you can't teach hustle. You can redirect it into something useful. To me, it's better seeing that then someone coasting around, but then again, I'm the type of person where if I'm doing something, I can't just sit there and do it half ass, so I personally can't stand watching players like Ryder.

Deer hustle, they're fast animals, doesn't mean they know what they are doing near the road

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Brunner lacks hockey sense, almost as bad as Tedenby.

Ryder lacks any toughness/physicality and fire/hunger/urgency.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

We need offensive help

Deer hustle, they're fast animals, doesn't mean they know what they are doing near the road
You're acting like Brunner is like Stephen Gionta. He has 51 points in his first 104 NHL games and 9 points in 14 games in the playoffs. And had 1.85 points per 60 minutes(5th on the team) on a weak offensive team.

Brunner is not as big as a question mark as you make him out to be, it's not really a question if he can produce but more of how much can he produce and that you could apply that same question to Ryder. I'd keep both and hope Ryder has a bounceback year but since they need to trade someone I rather it not be Brunner.
they both have their weakness
its one reason they were still available last summer

Brunner could have signed earlier, Detroit offered him a contract that had a 2.5mil AAV.

Back on topic, since Carter has been in the market so long makes me think that he's just waiting for Lou to clear space. I would have rather Lou not offer contracts to Gio and Bernier and just bring back Carter but since they have already signed them I rather they bump guys like Zubrus to the fourth line instead of signing players specifically for the fourth line role, because it's not like CBGB is the 4th line that they were in 11-12 playoffs anymore so they are replaceable even with AHL callups.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Back on topic, since Carter has been in the market so long makes me think that he's just waiting for Lou to clear space. I would have rather Lou not offer contracts to Gio and Bernier and just bring back Carter but since they have already signed them I rather they bump guys like Zubrus to the fourth line instead of signing players specifically for the fourth line role, because it's not like CBGB is the 4th line that they were in 11-12 playoffs anymore so they are replaceable even with AHL callups.

I also think Lou told Carter and his agent.."give me a week or two to make room"
I also think Bernier has about a 10% chance of being on the teams opening night roster
if he doesnt show much in pre-season, Lou and Pete will cut ties

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I also think Lou told Carter and his agent.."give me a week or two to make room"
I also think Bernier has about a 10% chance of being on the teams opening night roster
if he doesnt show much in pre-season, Lou and Pete will cut ties

I don't think that will happen, but Bernier will likely get spot duty. With all the forwards, he won't be in the line-up every night, and when he does, it's highly unlikely he moves up the line-up unless there is injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad