All Indications that Ryan Carter will be back

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I can't fathom how many people think we deliberately 'signed player x before player y'

With that logic we have failed in every aspect by signing the players we have before Corey

Think a situation through for once

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I can't fathom how many people think we deliberately 'signed player x before player y'

With that logic we have failed in every aspect by signing the players we have before Corey

plus it's not like the the player signs and Lou has a desk full of signed offers for his signature to finalize the deal.

Player signs and it's done. Lou can't control when Carter signs - before or after Gionta. Offers are made and it's up to the player and agent to accept, wait, negotiate, counter, etc...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know, I don't see how that's the scenario. I think Carter may just be mulling over some other options. Lou is no idiot, I'm sure he would have rather sign Carter first.

The only way I see that scenario being possible, is if Carter took longer than the others to make his decision, and he made his decision to come back to the Devils after there became a log jam at forward. So he waits.

The trade could take some time though. Lou is going to use this time to get the best trade available as he should. I'm sure teams are interested in Ryder or Brunner. If Carter is waiting for that, he could be waiting till September. Its a bit of a risk doing that.

I actually think Lou would sign Carter right now. I don't buy the waiting scenario.

Again, as I said, it's doubtful but possible. Certain players have hung around for that to happen before, different situations though (Adam Mair and that player from the Canadiens that's name escapes me right now from 2013). As you said, it's definitely risky on Carter's part though.

Simply put, I'm a big fan of his game and I really hope he does not leave but with the numbers game right now I just don't see how it happens.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
plus it's not like the the player signs and Lou has a desk full of signed offers for his signature to finalize the deal.

Player signs and it's done. Lou can't control when Carter signs - before or after Gionta. Offers are made and it's up to the player and agent to accept, wait, negotiate, counter, etc...

It's the same thing as those who cried and still do about "signing Kovalchuk before Parise" as if it is just that simple and exactly how things went behind the doors that we'll never see :laugh:

There are so many factors such as those you listed that go into this

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

The blackhawks are doing some failing as well. This is actually the 9th straight day some teams are collectively failing.

When did Lou add mind control to his arsenal?

Last edited:

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Again, as I said, it's doubtful but possible. Certain players have hung around for that to happen before, different situations though (Adam Mair and that player from the Canadiens that's name escapes me right now from 2013). As you said, it's definitely risky on Carter's part though.

Simply put, I'm a big fan of his game and I really hope he does not leave but with the numbers game right now I just don't see how it happens.

Same here. Big Carter fan. His ability to raise his gameplay to another level at key moments will be missed if he decides to leave.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
When did Lou add mind control to his arsenal?

original.0

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

Knowing Lou, the way he operates, and that none of them were signed prior to the start of FA - he likely let them all go out and test the market for their value, see where they were at. Bernier likely received next to nothing, hence signing quickly & cheaply.
Gionta probably received little, but nothing serious. It's easy to get ink on the contract that way.
With Carter, he's definitely received interest. His agent said a handful of teams were in on him. Especially because every summer some team freaks out about their "toughness" level, but maybe he's seeing what the Devils can do to assure him a roster spot on the 4th line (which definitely isn't available right now)

I can't imagine any other reason why a 4th liner with multi-team interest would hang around this long.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Knowing Lou, the way he operates, and that none of them were signed prior to the start of FA - he likely let them all go out and test the market for their value, see where they were at. Bernier likely received next to nothing, hence signing quickly & cheaply.
Gionta probably received little, but nothing serious. It's easy to get ink on the contract that way.
With Carter, he's definitely received interest. His agent said a handful of teams were in on him. Especially because every summer some team freaks out about their "toughness" level, but maybe he's seeing what the Devils can do to assure him a roster spot on the 4th line (which definitely isn't available right now)

I can't imagine any other reason why a 4th liner with multi-team interest would hang around this long.

This is extremely well put, and I think you're 100% correct.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I didnt know Cory was a UFA and was free lo leave?

The point was there are so many factors that go into who gets signed when and why....that the most important guy/s dont necessarily get signed before the rest of the pieces

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
The point was there are so many factors that go into who gets signed when and why....that the most important guy/s dont necessarily get signed before the rest of the pieces

the Carter fans are getting restless
(they see it as Lou wanting the other 2 back but not Ryan)
we'll find out whats really happening soon

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Lou was focused on re-signing Cory.

Now that's done. Look for Carter to be re-signed very shortly, IMO.

I think he has to move a forward or two first, and he might not be able to do that

Pretty much like we did w Zidlicky last off-season

He waited for Lou to move somebody because he wanted to be here and once Tallinder was moved, Zidlicky signed the paper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad