Post-Game Talk: All Good Things Wasn’t Pickard’s Last Story

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Good come back win. Though it was a mixed bag in terms of the experiments.

Kane-Drai-Perry worked well. I really like Perry and Kane together as a combo, if only because Perry takes the down low/battle in front of the net role that Kane tends to get cast in when he's with anyone else. That in turn forces Evander to be more involved with where the plays happening, and not just always funneling to the net.

The 3rd line of Holloway-McLeod-Foegele I'm less crazy about. Yes, all 3 skate hard and chase the puck effectively, but they're dogs chasing cars who have no idea what to do when they catch it. All 3 need to play with someone with offensive IQ to guide the attack. Be that Drai, Perry, or Gags.

Thankfully I see an easy fix:

McLeod-Drai-Foegele
Kane-Holloway-Perry

McLeod and Foegele do an outstanding job chasing the puck and getting it moving in the right direction; and Drai's a master with open ice and waiting for the puck to come to him. We've see this combo work before, and unlike in December you've got proper linemates for Kane to work with.
As for the 3rd line, you give your top offensive prospect proper talented vets to work with and learn from. Kane and Perry can also focus on the extracurricular to their hearts' content, plus they give you a proper duo you can double shift either of McDrai with.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
As for the defence, meh.

Despite finishing +2, Ekholm-Ceci got caught chasing the play quite often; and Nurse-Vinny seemed to struggle to read eachother. Though at least Kulak-Bouchard held their own, outside of one spot where Kulak got beat outside by a guy with a full head of steam.

One thing I'm really starting to notice with Ceci is he's constantly cheating up for offence, For a guy with 140 games without a goal, I don't get it. Take a page out of Kulak and Vinny's book, and focus on making the safe/smart play.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The no boots line.

The pissy line.

The KD Perry line.

Whatever it's called, keep it together.
piss·y
/ˈpisē/
adjective
VULGAR SLANG
1 coarse slang. Originally U.S. Angry, irritated; fed up; = pissed,
2 arrogantly argumentative.

1707567813709.png

1707567885234.png

Reactions: Oilhawks

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Regardless the win, which was great ofc, we saw some good f***ing goaltending from both sides. Pickard was a beast.

Personally, I'd leave the top 6 for now as it is:

RNH - McD - Hyman
KD Perry

Not so sure what comes after the top 6, but another impact winger is needed.

Much less happy with the D pairings but I think you gotta give them some time to adjust. Ultimately the team needs another top 4 dman.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nice to get that win. First time this season the team has gone one and done on a loss.

I get Janmark and Brown have both contributed to a successful PK this season. But when we are running them both out there with Derek Ryan… it’s such a do nothing line. You need some risk of offensive generation. There’s no reason not to have Gagner in there right now. He’s shown time and again this season he can generate offense in a limited role. We’ve got enough forwards on the roster with experience killing penalties we can afford one of Janmark or Brown out of the lineup.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
this isn't even close to accurate.

that's october 6, 2022. no teams played that day, the season hadn't even started yet.

connor brown hasnt scored since the 21-22 season, its almost 700 days.
You could change the date to October 6, 2002 and I would believe you

• Haha

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It's a win, we all know the team was looking ahead to tonight anyways. Move along amd see how they play tonight

Watch them blow LA away...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Overall Oilers were not good positionally in this game and giving up far too much. Take the W but from a coaching pov this one was garbage.
He changed the entire lineup. I get that he wants to experiment with different combinations so they have a fallback plan if the original combos don't work and to see if they can find some internal solutions to possibly narrow down the deadline needs list but I don't think they have enough of a cushion to risk losing games by shuffling everything around on the fly.

Even though the Drai line performed well, I just don't see Perry as a full time top 6 option at this point in his career and I don't think anything Perry does makes a top 6 winger not a need by the deadline.
Desharnais should not be playing that high in the lineup. Just go back to Ekholm-Bouchard, Kulak-Desharnais. Stick with what works. They need a Ceci upgrade, Desharnais is not that guy so take that square peg out of that round hole before it costs them games.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think others mentioned it. The org is trying to see if Ceci fits anywhere, with anybody before deciding we need another D at TDL. If we just stay static with pairs we don't see what we have. AGain Knoblauch and Coffey did not have a TC with thsi club. Its these kinds of wrinkles you try now, because you didn't have any chance to try permutations in preseason when they often occur. I'm OK with the experiments. But tomorrow need to go back to some familiar pairs. Probably a one off because its Anaheim.
Alternatively, they are looking at possibly trading Ceci and want to know if the RHS is flexible enough to do so.

If VD could play in with Nurse, a big if by the way, that means that they could go with a cheap bottom pairing RHD and use the cap savings up front. I doubt they do this but it may be something they are looking at.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Kane-Drai-Perry looked great together.

Didn’t like the D pairings. At least Ekholm-Bouchard got put back together.

It’d be nice to find Nurse a top 4 RHD partner of Ekholm’s ilk in a trade near the deadline
I'm trying to get the "KD Perry" line to stick

Reactions: oobga

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Man that was playoff level trash refs. Just pathetic.
I'm hoping it's a blessing in disguise. Oilers will have plenty of experience fighting through interference and having to win with 5-on-5 goals, while certain teams that rely on receiving numerous PPs a game (like Oilers in past seasons and the Canucks this season) will be the ones having to adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad