All-Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I wonder if Canada will run over Finland or be a bit surprised because of how much better they are compared to these awful teams.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Also, wrt Byfield, most people already knew about his inconsistency and bust potential from before the draft. This is not a surprise IMO. He will probably have one or two big games in the tournament and be quiet for the rest of them. I think Stutzle will be a better pro player by a large margin.

Well there's big game #1. This take regarding Stutzle is looking a little warmer today too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Back to 2009 highlights I go.

giphy.gif

Reactions: belair

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Like he should for sure be an NHLer but I don't think he has a high ceiling at all. Nothing wrong with that though, he will be a very useful NHLer.
Yup, agreed. The way he uses his body and his gears alone can get him into the NHL, but I just don't see anything past that. Complimentary, responsible 3rd liner.

This is based on college highlights and the WJC which isn't enough to go off of, but from what you see here, it fits.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think he has a high floor and low ceiling. Like he should for sure be an NHLer but I don't think he has a high ceiling at all. Nothing wrong with that though, he will be a very useful NHLer.

Honestly that kind of statement about a player gives me flashbacks to Ryan "guaranteed NHLer" O'Marra. Always sketches me out picking a player with no upside in the first round. Not saying that's Holloway. I hope not.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This tournament is broken.

Make it top 6 from previous year. Invite 4 teams for pretournament play in. 2 more advance to make it 8.

Two pools of 4, Round Robin in each division then a cross over to medal round.

Summer tournament of 8 to determine the 4 play in teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Low ceiling player? Based on how many personal viewings?

Jeez people, give him more than a few games before making such absolute statements.

I saw him in his 2 college games and I did not see a "low ceiling" player there, @snipes and a few others can attest to this. So much stock put into a few WJC games, same nonsense when Byfield was struggling.

I knew if Holloway didn't score in a few games that the knives would be out. So predictable.

Reactions: North

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, agreed. The way he uses his body and his gears alone can get him into the NHL, but I just don't see anything past that. Complimentary, responsible 3rd liner.

This is based on college highlights and the WJC which isn't enough to go off of, but from what you see here, it fits.
I could see him having a year or something where he just clicks and fits higher up but other than that.

And that said there is nothing wrong with a guy like this at all.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Low ceiling player? Based on how many personal viewings?

Jeez people, give him more than a few games before making such absolute statements.

I saw him in his 2 college games and I did not see a "low ceiling" player there, @snipes and a few others can attest to this. So much stock put into a few WJC games, same nonsense when Byfield was struggling.

I knew if Holloway didn't score in a few games that the knives would be out. So predictable.
But you are putting all that stock in 2 college games? And I'm not making "absolute" statements. I'm saying what, based on what I've seen and read, I believe his trajectory to be.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
First game I am looking forward to is Sweden vs Russia tomorrow night. Let's see what Broberg brings to the first big game of the Tournament

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I have to give Byfield credit, he put up some numbers tonight. Wasn't convinced he really had those kind of chops, but he may just be starting to prove me wrong.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But you are putting all that stock in 2 college games?

You're maxing him out as a 3rd line player l, others too, based on a few WJC games and saying he's a low ceiling player based solely on that.

I'm giving the perspective of somebody who watched his college games and saw top 6 upside in those games. Hell, all you have to do is watch those two snipe goals to see that by just watching a 30 second video to see that he has skill.

He'll never be a line driver, he'll never be a flashy player but he absolutely has top 6 upside especially on a team like this one where he doesn't have to drive a line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're maxing him out as a 3rd line player l, others too, based on a few WJC games and saying he's a low ceiling player based solely on that.

I'm giving the perspective of somebody who watched his college games and saw top 6 upside in those games. Hell, all you have to do is watch those two snipe goals to see that by just watching a 30 second video to see that he has skill.

He'll never be a line driver, he'll never be a flashy player but he absolutely has top 6 upside especially on a team like this one where he doesn't have to drive a line.
You do realize that there are a metric f*** ton of 3rd liner or worse nhlers that have scored nice goals outside of the NHL right? 2 goals a player doesn't make.

And I'm not basing it entirely on this tournament. I'm basing it on highlights games I've seen and this tournament is adding to that opinion

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Can we all agree that if Canada loses the tournament, we can all hysterically and dramatically write 10 messages about how awful the team is, then declare to never post about them again?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have to give Byfield credit, he put up some numbers tonight. Wasn't convinced he really had those kind of chops, but he may just be starting to prove me wrong.

He played well tonight. Being that I mostly see him with World juniors, I've never really seen anything from him before. he's a strange read too as he plays off the puck almost all the time and without touching it, handling it. 6 pts tonight and he probably didn't have the puck 30 secs in the game. I mean he was fortunate everything went, but he was doing the right kinds of things.

Still, Swiss are awful. Canada was playing against air today and the Swiss only thinking about tomorrow. I mean they weren't even trying to cover in this game. Canada could've been asleep and put up double digits.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You do realize that there are a metric f*** ton of 3rd liner or worse nhlers that have scored nice goals outside of the NHL right? 2 goals a player doesn't make.

And I'm not basing it entirely on this tournament. I'm basing it on highlights games I've seen and this tournament is adding to that opinion

I don't feel like arguing.

I agree, he's a low ceiling grinder.
I knew you guys would do this if he didn't score in a few games. I just knew it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can we all agree that if Canada loses the tournament, we can all hysterically and dramatically write 10 messages about how awful the team is, then declare to never post about them again?

I must be missing something. I just check in and out of the thread quickly. Conditioned habit. I don't do GDT's either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For a lot of people, this is the only time they see them play.

Of course. I might watch 10 junior hockey games a year outside of World Juniors, probably not even that much, and I think its that way for most, thus most of our impressions are on stats, hearsay. I mean before tonight I didn't even know what a Byfield scoring play had ever looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad