All-Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
This thread will be for general WJC conversation, selection camps leading up to the tournament, Oilers prospect updates, and probably on the fly GDTs.

Some Team Canada notes to start us off:

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dach and Cozens forced to ride the pine from the sidelines for being late for practice.

Keeping that accountability.

Excited for when Holloway is finished his quarantine. I think he makes it, Hockey Canada loves versatile guys like him who can play up and down the lineup as well as wing or centre.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
One of the deepest pools they’ve had to pick from in a decade at least.

Unless he completely bombs during camp I think Holloway makes it. Would be a bad look for Hockey Canada to pull a guy out of his school program for a month and then cut him.

Reactions: snipes and nabob

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Does anyone have a good mock-up of what the Canadian team might look like on opening night?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Does anyone have a good mock-up of what the Canadian team might look like on opening night?

A way-too-early look at Canada's 2021 World Junior Championships roster - Sportsnet.ca

This is a list put together by Sam Cosentino at the end of October. As Cosentino is a guy who watches a tonne of Canadian junior hockey I think his list is probably decently accurate. I personally don't like some of his choices and omissions (everybody's got an opinion) but it's a good starting point and identifies returning players from last year.

Below is the 2020 WJC camp roster for Canada.

2020 National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp

Reactions: Zaddy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What are the chances of Shane Wright making the team?
If he makes it he should be considered > McDavid as elite prospect.

Reactions: brentashton

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What are the chances of Shane Wright making the team?
If he makes it he should be considered > McDavid as elite prospect.

In a normal year, I think he makes it. Might be tough with so many good forwards this year though.

It'll be interesting to see how he keeps developing. He had a better 16 year old season in the OHL than McDavid did, IMO.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I love when there's tweets about how many pounds of muscle someone has gained in a short period of time.

Usually wrong.

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Team Canada has a lot of good players this year. If Holloway doesn't make it, it's not a knock on him at all. That said if he only gets kept as an extra forward I'll kind of be pissed. So much absolutely wasted time when he could of just stayed in college and got playing time.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Team Canada has a lot of good players this year. If Holloway doesn't make it, it's not a knock on him at all. That said if he only gets kept as an extra forward I'll kind of be pissed. So much absolutely wasted time when he could of just stayed in college and got playing time.
I think the month long camp with the countries best young players is more valuable than playing once or twice a week at college honestly. An entire month surrounded by your very best peers and elite coaching staff and facilities etc...I don't know. I think it is probably worth it at the expense of some real game time.

Reactions: Dempsey

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the month long camp with the countries best young players is more valuable than playing once or twice a week at college honestly. An entire month surrounded by your very best peers and elite coaching staff and facilities etc...I don't know. I think it is probably worth it at the expense of some real game time.
Except he misses 2 weeks of camp in quarantine to be in camp for 2 weeks and cut?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Team Sweden will gather and go into a bubble on December 7th according to hockeynews.se.

Players from last year's team available again: Philip Broberg, Hugo Alnefelt, Tobias Björnfot, Victor Söderström, Karl Henriksson, Lucas Raymond and Alexander Holtz.

Couple of comments from Broberg:

- I think we have a very good chance to get really far in this tournament. It is up to all of us to get together quickly as a group, we need to hold each other accountable and have players accept their roles on the team.

- It will be special playing in Edmonton, there will be people there from the organisation and I want to show them what I have got. I try to do that every day in the SHL as well, to show them that I deserve a place on the team.

- I can stay the full season in Skelleftea, but we will see what the best solution is. Edmonton and Skelleftea need to talk that over. I want to play the best hockey I can every day and then we will see where that leads.

- I feel pretty good right now. It felt really good in the beginning of the season, then of course things will always be up and down throughout a season and I will have good games and bad games at times. But the physically I feel healthy and fresh.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What are some other nations teams looking like? Who’s going to be strong this year?

One of the things I love so much about this tournament is the uncertainty of it all. Sometimes you have teams that look like uber talented powerhouses on paper but fall flat and then sometimes you have teams that aren’t expected to compete have a strong showing.

With how things come together so quickly team chemistry plays such a big part.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think other countries decided to do a weird long camp did they?

Now hockey Canada pissing off players teams, thinking they are smarter than the rest has their entire camp worth of players sitting on their ass quarantined for 2 weeks.

I bet those 2 kids who tested positive feel absolutely terrible.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If this thing gets under way, it's going to make for some awesome hockey.
I think it could. With Canada being essentially neutered with its entire roster being quarantined for 2 weeks, upsets seem a lot more possible this year. Which almost makes it more exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad