All-Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Maybe the person doing the press release wasn't aware there's an Aku Raty and Aatu Raty and they got confused?

Doesn't make sense to leave a potential #1 overall pick at home especially when he played in the WJC the year before, unless there's some sort of Covid concern. Do teams in Finland ever refuse to release players to the WJC?

Räty has been very underwhelming for the past year and if not regressed then has at least seemingly completely stalled in his development, so it's not that odd. And he's not going to be anywhere near #1 in the draft. Might not even be picked in the 1st round at this juncture.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
As a person who has lived in both... That's a very biased and untrue statement. Edmonton can win awards for ugliest city in the world where Red Deer could win for best city for landscape/park design layout.

Of course Edmonton is a bigger city with more amenities. The ice district is awesome for hockey venues. And of course Edmonton is a great city to live in as well... Just ugly as sin and looks like it was planned and put together by a blind sanitary engineer.
I mean yah some of the urban sprawl is ugly but you'll get that anywhere.... River valley is pretty hard to beat

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Sounds like Sweden has also lost Karl Henriksson, potentially due to Covid but not entirely sure, but he's been replaced at camp.

Another sizeable loss.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Sounds like Sweden has also lost Karl Henriksson, potentially due to Covid but not entirely sure, but he's been replaced at camp.

Another sizeable loss.
First Eklund, and now Henriksson.

Stick a fork in team Sweden... Sizable loss is an understatement imo, they're done.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
First Eklund, and now Henriksson.

Stick a fork in team Sweden... Sizable loss is an understatement imo, they're done.

I didn't like the Swedish group of forwards to begin with, now with Eklund and Henriksson out it is just awful. They're gonna have to be really tight defensively and rely on Raymond/Holtz scoring a clutch goal here and there it feels like.

Reactions: LaGu

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

grfbg.jpg

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
William Wallinder the latest Swede gone home.

Albin Grewe bye.

Lukas Reichel bye.

Swedish head coach and assistant coach bye.

Nico Kinder bye.

Thimo Nickl bye.

All due to Covid.

This World Juniors is getting real rough.

First 5 Canadian cuts due to being "unfit to play":

Matthew Robertson, Mason Millman, Daemon Hunt, Ridley Greig, Xavier Simoneau

Last edited:
Reactions: Soli

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I amused about how the IIHF is using the world jrs and covid to not deal with the massive problem with the world championships this coming Msy. And it has nothing to do with what goes on on the ice.

Siunds like the IIHF will need to put the gun to a few teams to get them to play in one certain city.

But due to Edmonton, testing and other stuff. Meetings have pushed to mid jan. Speculation is that the IIHF will use covid and the fact it looks like fans won't be able to attend games to cancel the games for a second year

jmco

Jan 25, 2013
Why don't they cancel World Juniors? This is going to be a piecemeal tournament in a Covid hot spot.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Excited to see what Broberg can do!! As usual, Sweden should look like an undefeated machine and then choke. But still.... I’m excited to see how he plays.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Excited to see what Broberg can do!! As usual, Sweden should look like an undefeated machine and then choke. But still.... I’m excited to see how he plays.
I would not count on it, Henriksson, Eklund, Grewe and Walliner out so far among the players.
Head coach Monten, assistant coach Lundberg and video coach Almqvist also out.

If they lose a couple of more important pieces I think they might just as well throw in the towel.

As I understood it most of these are asymptomatic. There are currently not very many comments on the situation, but it seems as if they are trying to see what they can do about it. If they can come after serving quarantine, and with negative tests. It is apparently up to IIHF and Alberta though, the protocols in place have been set by them.

Reactions: tardigrade81

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would not count on it, Henriksson, Eklund, Grewe and Walliner out so far among the players.

If they lose a couple of more important pieces I think they might just as well throw in the towel.

As I understood it most of these are asymptomatic. There are currently not very many comments on the situation, but it seems as if they are trying to see what they can do about it. If they can come after serving quarantine, and with negative tests. It is apparently up to IIHF and Alberta though, the protocols in place have been set by them.

It seems ridiculous that these kids who are testing positive, and aren't even sick, have to miss a tournament they dream of playing in because they tested positive 3 weeks before the tournament is set to begin. They have enough time to quarantine and still have enough practice time to get ready for the tournament. This seems overly cautious and unnecessary to cancel their opportunity so early in the process.

It seems like this tournament is on life support because of this super cautious approach. Too bad

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I amused about how the IIHF is using the world jrs and covid to not deal with the massive problem with the world championships this coming Msy. And it has nothing to do with what goes on on the ice.

Siunds like the IIHF will need to put the gun to a few teams to get them to play in one certain city.

But due to Edmonton, testing and other stuff. Meetings have pushed to mid jan. Speculation is that the IIHF will use covid and the fact it looks like fans won't be able to attend games to cancel the games for a second year
From what I have heard (in off the cuff comments in Swedish press) Hockey Sweden says it will be impossible to play in Belarus. Basically hinting that Sweden could come and play if games are moved to another location, like Russia.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It seems ridiculous that these kids who are testing positive, and aren't even sick, have to miss a tournament they dream of playing in because they tested positive 3 weeks before the tournament is set to begin. They have enough time to quarantine and still have enough practice time to get ready for the tournament. This seems overly cautious and unnecessary to cancel their opportunity so early in the process.

It seems like this tournament is on life support because of this super cautious approach. Too bad
Seems like the over-shot a bit on the side of caution. As I said the other week, when I heard Sweden's test protocol for this pre-tournament camp (7 Dec to 13 Dec) it seemed as trouble right away. Anyone having a positive test in this period is out, without chance of returning. Apparently also tests done before, because Eklund's test is from a couple of days before the camp even begun.

I already think they are at the breaking point and they have to do something about it. It does not make sense that a coach or player cannot come if they have consecutive negative test results and also volonteers to do a quarantine in Edmonton.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seems like the over-shot a bit on the side of caution. As I said the other week, when I heard Sweden's test protocol for this pre-tournament camp (7 Dec to 13 Dec) it seemed as trouble right away. Anyone having a positive test in this period is out, without chance of returning. Apparently also tests done before, because Eklund's test is from a couple of days before the camp even begun.

I already think they are at the breaking point and they have to do something about it. It does not make sense that a coach or player cannot come if they have consecutive negative test results and also volonteers to do a quarantine in Edmonton.

They should have held camp sooner than December 7th like the Canadian team to leave more runway to deal with positive tests. Now look at the Canadian team, out of quarantine almost 3 weeks before the first real game.
Seems like a mistake by the Swedish team to leave such little room for error in a time when there's a lot of error to deal with.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Wow!! Didn’t realize all that. Thanks for the update. I’ll admit, I love watching the juniors but generally don’t keep up with the news until pretty much the day it starts. Can’t help but feel bad for them if they have to compete with that many stars out of the lineup. Just the way it has gone this year for most teams. Tampa basically won the cup without Stamkos.... it’s frustrating for these teams, but until there is a vaccine it’s just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
They should have held camp sooner than December 7th like the Canadian team to leave more runway to deal with positive tests. Now look at the Canadian team, out of quarantine almost 3 weeks before the first real game.
Seems like a mistake by the Swedish team to leave such little room for error in a time when there's a lot of error to deal with.
That's probably right, but many of the players are very important for their teams in SHL or hockeyallsvenskan. I think this was a compromise, which turned out to be a crappy deal in the end, but probably unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad