All-Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't think other countries decided to do a weird long camp did they?

Now hockey Canada pissing off players teams, thinking they are smarter than the rest has their entire camp worth of players sitting on their ass quarantined for 2 weeks.

I bet those 2 kids who tested positive feel absolutely terrible.

They probably feel like they let their entire team down, would be brutal. Good chance that they didn’t even break any protocol or do anything at risk or wrong to have caught Covid.

bad move by Hockey Canada to have such a large and long camp. Makes zero sense to have done that this year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They probably feel like they let their entire team down, would be brutal. Good chance that they didn’t even break any protocol or do anything at risk or wrong to have caught Covid.

bad move by Hockey Canada to have such a large and long camp. Makes zero sense to have done that this year.

Perhaps it was a bold move to have a large and long camp as they can now take the two week isolation, come out of it with every player and staff member knowing exactly how important it is to follow even the most mundane protocols but still have two and half weeks to practice leading up to the games.

I suspect they recognized the risk and built in the potential two week quarantine into their plans to not let it completely disrupt their plans if it happened.

That said, this really sucks for the players that get cut.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Perhaps it was a bold move to have a large and long camp as they can now take the two week isolation, come out of it with every player and staff member knowing exactly how important it is to follow even the most mundane protocols but still have two and half weeks to practice leading up to the games.

I suspect they recognized the risk and built in the potential two week quarantine into their plans to not let it completely disrupt their plans if it happened.
Something I hadn’t thought about for sure! The length could be a blessing in disguise if that’s the case.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What are some other nations teams looking like? Who’s going to be strong this year?

One of the things I love so much about this tournament is the uncertainty of it all. Sometimes you have teams that look like uber talented powerhouses on paper but fall flat and then sometimes you have teams that aren’t expected to compete have a strong showing.

With how things come together so quickly team chemistry plays such a big part.

It's always difficult to predict how a team will shake out in the end. I'm not a huge fan of projected lines for Team Sweden, but I really do quite like our defense and goaltending. The forwards, as it often is, is a weakpoint however, although it is very hard to say just how much of an impact guys like Raymond and Holtz could have. This is a guess on our team from one of the more knowledgeable Swedish posters on this site:

Raymond – Henriksson – Holmström
Olausson – Eklund – Holtz
Heineman – Niederbach – Söderblom
Nybeck - Sundsvik - Wikström
Costmar

Björnfot – Söderström
Broberg - Grans
Johansson - Wallinder
Andrae/Edvinsson

Wallstedt
Alnefelt
Clang

As mentioned, that defense is pretty nuts. Björnfot, Söderström, Broberg and Johansson should be rather dominant. Our goalies are very solid as well. Our forwards are pretty unproven internationally. That top line should be pretty good and that second line has a lot of ability with a very smart playmaker centering two deadly goalscorers (if that indeed is how it shakes out). The third and fourth lines would be more of a grinding/checking line and an energy line it seems. Sweden should be good as usual but wouldn't call us a favorite, although I have no real idea of what other teams may look like.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

With all due respect (and I appreciate all your links), I don't know why Athletic articles are posted without a brief synopsis since a lot of people don't pay for their service. Did Pronman have Holloway on the roster? I'm guessing he did based on the picture?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
With all due respect (and I appreciate all your links), I don't know why Athletic articles are posted without a brief synopsis since a lot of people don't pay for their service. Did Pronman have Holloway on the roster? I'm guessing he did based on the picture?

I second this.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Fair point, but posting on my phone on the go, and didn't really have time to cut and paste. Not sure what to do about the paywall articles that I find interesting that I think others that subscribe may find interesting. I know I appreciate when others post Athletic links that I may have missed, but totally get why you wouldn't want to see them. Maybe will just skip posting links from those sites. And yes, he had him making the team. ;)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fair point, but posting on my phone on the go, and didn't really have time to cut and paste. Not sure what to do about the paywall articles that I find interesting that I think others that subscribe may find interesting. I know I appreciate when others post Athletic links that I may have missed, but totally get why you wouldn't want to see them. Maybe will just skip posting links from those sites. And yes, he had him making the team. ;)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's interesting content and by all means keep posting The Athletic articles. I was just saying for the sake of those of us who don't want to pay for the content, just leave a little snippet of the important part of the article.
"Holloway was on Pronman's roster" will do.

Sorry for being a pain in the ass but it just comes naturally. ;)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Any player on Team Sweden that does not test negative for three consecutive covid19 tests between Dec 7 and Dec 13 will not be going to EDM and not playing in the WHJC...
I hope there won't be any false positive :eek2:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Team Finland dropping bombs?

No Puistola, no Aatu Raty, no Joni Jurmo on their preliminary roster.
Came to post this, really strange. Heard from a NHL scout that said evdn though his season was a bit under what was expected, he had just seen him play and described his game as dominant, hitting three posts.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Came to post this, really strange. Heard from a NHL scout that said evdn though his season was a bit under what was expected, he had just seen him play and described his game as dominant, hitting three posts.

In which league?

He was recently demoted from the Liiga to the SM-Sarja

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Super disappointing loss for Sweden.

William Eklund is OUT due to a positive Covid-19 test.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Maybe the person doing the press release wasn't aware there's an Aku Raty and Aatu Raty and they got confused?

Doesn't make sense to leave a potential #1 overall pick at home especially when he played in the WJC the year before, unless there's some sort of Covid concern. Do teams in Finland ever refuse to release players to the WJC?

Reactions: LaGu

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Is he not able to retest and get a couple negatives over the course of a few days in case it was a false positive? Or is he legit sick?

Apparently, he has been legit sick, and Sweden made their cut-off date yesterday for making the roster with a positive test. So he's out.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is he not able to retest and get a couple negatives over the course of a few days in case it was a false positive? Or is he legit sick?
No, he's out. Apparently could have done retests if the positive test had come a day sooner. I guess they have a 'no-positive-tests-over-10-days' prior to departure. I know they will do 3 tests in camp, but this was before camp started.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Red Deer makes Edmonton seem awesome. That's gotta be a positive somehow.

As a person who has lived in both... That's a very biased and untrue statement. Edmonton can win awards for ugliest city in the world where Red Deer could win for best city for landscape/park design layout.

Of course Edmonton is a bigger city with more amenities. The ice district is awesome for hockey venues. And of course Edmonton is a great city to live in as well... Just ugly as sin and looks like it was planned and put together by a blind sanitary engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad