All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I personally didn't think it was a penalty and thought it was a bit harsh, but if I'm being completely honest this team didn't deserve to win this year anyways. They played horrific football from minute 1 in this tournament and got what they deserved. There was something off about this team. All the games leading up to it they looked unstoppable and then Sweden just crushed all their spirit.
If it had been called a penalty Live I couldn't argue against it. I thought the standard for VAR was clear and Obvious error. That standard that play to me didn't make due to the contact before the foul..
But as @kingsboy11 states the US team was about as sharp as a dull butter knife. and Didn't deserve going to the Gold Medal game.
I'll actually root for Canada in that game. something is off about the USWNT atm.. and I am not sure what it is but they haven't been good in Tokyo.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Still beat Netherlands. :)

I won't deny the US is in need of transition. Very old club that Vlatko dragged to Japan and it showed. I thought they should have put in more youth but it seemed like the last hurrah for the current lieups which Vlatko had been trotting out since pre-qualification. Names like Horan, Press, Morgan, Rapinoe, Lloyd, etc.

Ideally this is the time for the USWNT to give some of the younger players some caps. There is a lot of talent in the NWSL that I'm sure would love to be on the national team. Talent like Trinity Rodman, Paige Nielsen, Ashley Hatch, Aubrey Bledsoe (yes I am biased seeing the Spirit play locally!) would help provide some youth to this team. And there are other good players too for the other NWSL teams that I can't think of at this moment.

The US is good at soccer, we all know that, but the world has caught up. It's time for the US to start shedding some of the older players and start seeing what the new generation can do.

Sep 19, 2008
Edited by mod.
2012, amongst others. The worst part, is that fans of the US women’s national team are complaining about a questionable penalty. The US women’s national is the team that consistently received more favourable officiating than even Barcelona and Madrid.
I'm not complaining about the penalty. It was soft but the US didn't do anything offensively either. The US was shut out 3 times in 5 games. Blaming the penalty isn't the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tryamw

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I personally didn't think it was a penalty and thought it was a bit harsh, but if I'm being completely honest this team didn't deserve to win this year anyways. They played horrific football from minute 1 in this tournament and got what they deserved. There was something off about this team. All the games leading up to it they looked unstoppable and then Sweden just crushed all their spirit.
Yeah it's never a penalty and we've seen similar situations in various games where it isn't given. The standard for the play is whether the pressing player is able to establish possession. Canada didn't. Bad call but hey, Canada needs all the help it can get

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It's a penalty by the letter of the law. However, I don't think it's within the spirit of the game. Without VAR, that kind of foul on the perimeter of the box probably never gets called because it doesn't really prevent a scoring opportunity.

This is the can of worms that VAR has opened, but I still think the game is better off with it than without it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's a penalty by the letter of the law. However, I don't think it's within the spirit of the game. Without VAR, that kind of foul on the perimeter of the box probably never gets called because it doesn't really prevent a scoring opportunity.

This is the can of worms that VAR has opened, but I still think the game is better off with it than without it.
It actually isn't a penalty by the letter of the law. By the letter of the law it's arguably a foul on Canada

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It actually isn't a penalty by the letter of the law. By the letter of the law it's arguably a foul on Canada

Okay, you got my interest.

I'm interested to hear your opinion of the play which makes it a foul against the Canadian player.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Okay, you got my interest.

I'm interested to hear your opinion of the play which makes it a foul against the Canadian player.
Canadian player interfered with the kicking action of the player in possession without playing the ball. Picture it the other way. Imagine the Canadian player was in possession in the box, about to shoot. Davidson sticks her leg in and without touching the ball, prevents the Canadian player from shooting and brings her to ground. Obvious penalty.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Canadian player interfered with the kicking action of the player in possession without playing the ball. Picture it the other way. Imagine the Canadian player was in possession in the box, about to shoot. Davidson sticks her leg in and without touching the ball, prevents the Canadian player from shooting and brings her to ground. Obvious penalty.

I think the Canadian player was coming with alot more pace than the defender anticipated. It looks like a contested ball before the act of shooting.

Had the defender known how much she had been closed down, I think she plays it differently.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think the Canadian player was coming with alot more pace than the defender anticipated. It looks like a contested ball before the act of shooting.

Had the defender known how much she had been closed down, I think she plays it differently.
Sure. She definitely would have played it differently. That doesn’t mean you can impede someone’s kicking motion.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It really wasn’t. I think we’ve had this same situation where Liverpool was called for a penalty and you said it wasn’t. Can’t remember for sure.
I definitely never would have argued that someone stiff arming (maybe not the right term for it) and kicking someone's legs out from under them when they got to a ball first and could have potentially gained control of the ball in a dangerous situation was not a penalty. It's about as clear cut as it gets. She got beat to the ball and that's a foul everywhere on the field regardless of intent.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I definitely never would have argued that someone stiff arming (maybe not the right term for it) and kicking someone's legs out from under them when they got to a ball first and could have potentially gained control of the ball in a dangerous situation was not a penalty. It's about as clear cut as it gets. She got beat to the ball and that's a foul everywhere on the field regardless of intent.
Um You can't go through a player to get to the ball. She went through Davidson. That's a FOUL. that foul happened first and dead ends the play. Now if Davidson when Rose was on the group kicked her that's a RED for Recklessness As it was it wasn't carded so the Ref didn't consider it anything beyond a common foul.

And as I said before if the ref had origionally called the Penalty Kick I couldn't argue.. I'd have assumed they saw enough.
I have Major issue that it wasn't a Clear and Obvious Error.. Due to the contact that Rose put on Davidson. that to me makes it NOT a clear and obvious error. also if Rose Didn't Clip Davidson first that would have been a Clear and obvious error but this was not the case.

Anyway good luck vs Sweden Canada I'll be pulling for you.
But that doesn't mean I don't think that PK was a mistake..
And Canada chose strategy that worked well for them. The US women were not good. some was them (Look at other games) Some was Canada..
The US wasn't going to win the Gold IMO. I suspect they may not medal at all.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think we have the same definition of going through a player to get the ball. Rose in no way fouled Davidson. It was the right call; I can see why the ref might have missed it in real time at that speed but that's what VAR is for.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Most of my American friends were actively cheering against the USWNT, due to how political they are. Sweden is a great side id imagine they win gold.

Its rather cool to see how competitive the women's game has gotten, definitely bodes well for it moving forward. The US dominated for so long as they were the only ones spending money on it via title 9 and the NCAA.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I could have seen that call go either way, but a penalty was fine since the stiff arm was a foul. The ball was bouncing and loose, the Canadian got there first and established body position, and the American stiff armed her.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Most of my American friends were actively cheering against the USWNT, due to how political they are. Sweden is a great side id imagine they win gold.

Its rather cool to see how competitive the women's game has gotten, definitely bodes well for it moving forward. The US dominated for so long as they were the only ones spending money on it via title 9 and the NCAA.
The US has had 2 periods of dominance Early - Mid 90's and 2010-2020 In between there were lots of really good clubs.. Germany Norway Japan amongst others..

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I could have seen that call go either way, but a penalty was fine since the stiff arm was a foul. The ball was bouncing and loose, the Canadian got there first and established body position, and the American stiff armed her.
I thought the Kick was the foul.. and the reason I think it was a Offensive foul was She A didn't get the ball Until falling after She missed. her front foot (Rose's) never touched it.. She jumped in front of the defender Contacting the defender and denying her a chance to play the ball. And if she had gotten ball. good tackle.. She missed. Wish I could find a non NBC version of just the play.. that NBC clip is too long to go through.

Sep 19, 2008

it makes me so mad to see people complain how political the USWNT are when they are barely political and their message has pretty much been diluted across football to the point where England kneels for justice before every game.

Like if you want to complain about them be fair. That's all I ask. Yes I am a USWNT shill but I am also reasonable. If you want to complain about fair pay fine. But the politics is a non issue as is the celebrations. "Oh no they are too arrogant!" Have you seen the NBA or the NHL? When Alex Ovechkin drops his stick and simulates fire is it too arrogant? It's a f***ing game :laugh:

You literally had Ranger Anisimov take his stick after a goal and imitate a sniper. Is that arrogant?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

This was the men's Japan vs Spain game the Ref awarded a PK VAR did the right thing and corrected the Clear and obvious error.

I just don't feel the US vs Canada ladies PK overturn was a CaOE. If the Ref had signaled PK to start I couldn't expect it to get overturned.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't know why the penalty is such a big deal

it happened, it was soft but she converted, maybe she still hits it if Naeher is in net

But the most important thing wasn't even the late penalty but that the US was shut out in 3 out of 5 games. The US had their shots to win this game. They just looked flat. That has nothing to do with a penalty. Canada had 1 shot on goal. If the US had any sort of offensive firepower they win.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also lol 'soft' penalty.

Eh the US only really looked dangerous after Canada scored and started sitting back. The whole narrative that the US was dominant or even more dangerous than Canada during the run of play is nonsense. Canada didn't have a ton of shots but they had more deliberate and dangerous build up leading up to the penalty and the US didn't even really have any great chances to score at all (someone mentioned the crossbar, but the keeper had that shot covered anyway).

I mentioned this in the women's World Cup but I just think the US doesn't have the same advantages that it used to; the game is growing globally now and rather than the US just not being as good I think other teams are catching up (and surpassing them). They were fortunate IMO to win the World Cup as it was but I wouldn't be surprised if they are outmatched in the years to come by some of the top emerging teams.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Also lol 'soft' penalty.

Eh the US only really looked dangerous after Canada scored and started sitting back. The whole narrative that the US was dominant or even more dangerous than Canada during the run of play is nonsense. Canada didn't have a ton of shots but they had more deliberate and dangerous build up leading up to the penalty and the US didn't even really have any great chances to score at all (someone mentioned the crossbar, but the keeper had that shot covered anyway).

I mentioned this in the women's World Cup but I just think the US doesn't have the same advantages that it used to; the game is growing globally now and rather than the US just not being as good I think other teams are catching up (and surpassing them). They were fortunate IMO to win the World Cup as it was but I wouldn't be surprised if they are outmatched in the years to come by some of the top emerging teams.
It's because Vlatko brought an aging roster. There is young talent in the NWSL like (again homer for local team) the women who play locally who should definitely get some caps. (Sullivan, Bledsoe, Rodman, et al)

I did see though elsewhere that Vlatko is not too keen on playing the new generation and hopefully that changes. Won't win many titles trotting out the old ladies. Need youth.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Stiff arming is an exaggeration and a half. Putting arms out for balance isn't a foul. At least kicking someone's legs out from under them is only an exaggeration, you saved a half there. Davidson was in a clear kicking motion at the ball when Team Canada decided to stick their leg in the way. Nowhere on the pitch are you able to just put your leg in the way of someone while they're kicking the ball and get whistled for a foul, let alone a penalty.

Except the Canadian didn't get there first. She interrupted someone's kick without establishing possession. At best it's a no call because no one had established possession. At worst Rose fouled Davidson. Regardless it isn't a penalty unless you stretch the definitions of first, stiff arm, possession, and body position. You can't just run in between someone's leg and the ball while they are actively kicking the ball and expect to get rewarded for it. You've never been able to.

I thought the Kick was the foul.. and the reason I think it was a Offensive foul was She A didn't get the ball Until falling after She missed. her front foot (Rose's) never touched it.. She jumped in front of the defender Contacting the defender and denying her a chance to play the ball. And if she had gotten ball. good tackle.. She missed. Wish I could find a non NBC version of just the play.. that NBC clip is too long to go through.
The only world where you're allowed to hit someone's kicking leg during a kicking motion without winning the ball is the world in which Canada gets a PK, apparently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad