All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

NightMist

Mar 18, 2021
Wow, I didn't realize how many of the U.S players were on the wrong side of 30. C.T's coverage of this plus his description of this team going from massive National support in 2015 to a complete evaporation of all that good will. Some fresh blood needed indeed to resurrect what they once had, with new attitudes, focused on Soccer and winning and team unity, and not the side projects which clearly divided the players. Such a good take by him and really interesting.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I completely understand about the aging players and some younger players not getting a chance. I love Sinclair but she has no business starting at this point...it's like Canada is playing with 10 women at times. Quinn isn't very good either. Would much rather have Huitema and Grosso starting. Overall a strong team though with a lot of promising youth but I think Europe is primed to take over the women's game sooner than later. They're progressing so quickly.

Stiff arming is an exaggeration and a half. Putting arms out for balance isn't a foul. At least kicking someone's legs out from under them is only an exaggeration, you saved a half there. Davidson was in a clear kicking motion at the ball when Team Canada decided to stick their leg in the way. Nowhere on the pitch are you able to just put your leg in the way of someone while they're kicking the ball and get whistled for a foul, let alone a penalty.

Except the Canadian didn't get there first. She interrupted someone's kick without establishing possession. At best it's a no call because no one had established possession. At worst Rose fouled Davidson. Regardless it isn't a penalty unless you stretch the definitions of first, stiff arm, possession, and body position. You can't just run in between someone's leg and the ball while they are actively kicking the ball and expect to get rewarded for it. You've never been able to.

The only world where you're allowed to hit someone's kicking leg during a kicking motion without winning the ball is the world in which Canada gets a PK, apparently.
Yeah okay. Keep deluding yourself.

Sep 19, 2008
He's just biased against USWNT.

iu

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I completely understand about the aging players and some younger players not getting a chance. I love Sinclair but she has no business starting at this point...it's like Canada is playing with 10 women at times. Quinn isn't very good either. Would much rather have Huitema and Grosso starting. Overall a strong team though with a lot of promising youth but I think Europe is primed to take over the women's game sooner than later. They're progressing so quickly.
Fully agree with this. Going into the tournament I had this is as the 'last chance' for the old guard to bring home the gold. The Euro take over of the sport is on the horizon, got to get the hardware now!

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s okay to admit you’re wrong. Try it sometime.
Rich coming from you. It's ok to be wrong (as clear as day, as adjudged and overturned by VAR, multiple other officials, etc.). But I know the US aren't gracious losers so it's not overly surprising either. Good luck in the bronze medal game! All the best.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Fully agree with this. Going into the tournament I had this is as the 'last chance' for the old guard to bring home the gold. The Euro take over of the sport is on the horizon, got to get the hardware now!
Yeah I agree; I think it'll be a real struggle from here on out against the teams from Europe. I actually think that Canada's defence matches up well against the Swedish counter-attack so I'm hoping that they can just squeeze out a win, but IDK Sweden has been a machine in this tournament. I think Canada were lucky it was the US they got to face and not the Netherlands.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Rich coming from you. It's ok to be wrong (as clear as day, as adjudged and overturned by VAR, multiple other officials, etc.). But I know the US aren't gracious losers so it's not overly surprising either. Good luck in the bronze medal game! All the best.
I’m just glad to have you on record that VAR is never wrong. Can’t wait until the first time Salah dives and VAR doesn’t do anything.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I can see the penalty being considered weak but the US player lost her positioning to the Canadian player. Not sure which angle NBC had it but the American lost the possession to the Canadian player.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I can see the penalty being considered weak but the US player lost her positioning to the Canadian player. Not sure which angle NBC had it but the American lost the possession to the Canadian player.
She “lost position” after already having started making her play on the ball. Again, you can’t just impede someone’s kicking motion and expect to get rewarded.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
She “lost position” after already having started making her play on the ball. Again, you can’t just impede someone’s kicking motion and expect to get rewarded.

She lost the ball when she attempted the kick. The Canadian player's whole body was pretty much in front of her by then.

Even NBC agreed it was the correct call.

USWNT - Canada: Video highlights, recap, analysis, reaction, Olympics

1. VAR penalty kick was correct call: It will hurt the USWNT to lose like this but they can have no complaints. Rose got in front of Davidson and was kicked from behind. Had she not been kicked, she would have got the ball and been in on goal, albeit from a tight angle. VAR was used and it did its job. Simple.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
She lost the ball when she attempted the kick. The Canadian player's whole body was pretty much in front of her by then.

1. VAR penalty kick was correct call: It will hurt the USWNT to lose like this but they can have no complaints. Rose got in front of Davidson and was kicked from behind. Had she not been kicked, she would have got the ball and been in on goal, albeit from a tight angle. VAR was used and it did its job. Simple.
The Canadian never won the ball. Had davidson not been clattered into by rose, she wouldn’t have lost the ball. I don’t know any other situation where you can hit someone’s kicking leg without playing the ball and expect a reward. And frankly I don’t care what the random English writer freelancing for nbc has to say.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Canadian never won the ball. Had davidson not been clattered into by rose, she wouldn’t have lost the ball. I don’t know any other situation where you can hit someone’s kicking leg without playing the ball and expect a reward. And frankly I don’t care what the random English writer freelancing for nbc has to say.
Clearly no bias here. It's so unbelievably clear I can't even believe anyone would argue against it.

Davidson never had possession, nor did she ever touch the ball. Rose did. Davidson kicked her leg out from under her and 'stiff armed' her. Intent means nothing. She was 2nd best in this exchange and it was a very clear penalty as all the officials agreed, among most pundits, analysts and so on. They both went for the ball, Rose got the ball and Davidson did not, that is a foul EVERYWHERE on the pitch. It's baffling how much you're holding onto this and actually even implying that Rose somehow fouled Davidson.....genuinely hilarious.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Americans complaining about reffing in a USWNT game is about the most ironic thing ever. When you've gotten every single call for decades to ensure the US tv audience is tuned in; fairness then feels like your being cheated.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa

I don’t like that rule, but I have seen it called, especially by VAR, several times during the past year.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

Whole Body in front her Arm Hit's Davidson in the Back She's Stretching out in front off balance.

If this is the Standard for clear and obvious error might as well review every little touch between people in the box.. it isn't to the Standard that they stated they would review at It's like in the NHL They are looking at a potential 5 minute boarding and catch a trip Before the board (Potential) and call it on uninvolved players. That's not how the rule is supposed to work.

Even if you think the Penalty was the call that should have made how it got there is WRONG.
It's like the police busting down your door w/o a warrant finding some evidence of wrong doing and you going to jail for it. That's not how the US legal system is supposed to work.
the process matters.

My Main issue is process and Unless you can tell me how that can be a clear and obvious error like the one I posted earlier well :) I'll stand by it was a BAD call.
Neither side was good in the game but the US was listless throughout the tourney. I'm fine with the result. (US losing) I'm not fine with how it got there.

Sep 19, 2008
The amount of bitching about such an insigificant penalty is hilarious

YES it happened

Let's move on

I mean I was not pleased too but I stopped being mad after like 10 seconds. Canada converted, they won. Good for them.

Reactions: YNWA14
Sep 19, 2008
Also a note that US won the Bronze today over Australia and Rapinoe actually did something :yo: Happy they were at least able to salvage a medal. Expectations were high but at least they medaled and it's a lesson learned for future tournaments not to trot out the biggest names and most veteran players.

I would hope that the team revamps in the time leading up to the WWC and gives some of the younger players more caps from the NWSL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Whole Body in front her Arm Hit's Davidson in the Back She's Stretching out in front off balance.

If this is the Standard for clear and obvious error might as well review every little touch between people in the box.. it isn't to the Standard that they stated they would review at It's like in the NHL They are looking at a potential 5 minute boarding and catch a trip Before the board (Potential) and call it on uninvolved players. That's not how the rule is supposed to work.

Even if you think the Penalty was the call that should have made how it got there is WRONG.
It's like the police busting down your door w/o a warrant finding some evidence of wrong doing and you going to jail for it. That's not how the US legal system is supposed to work.
the process matters.

My Main issue is process and Unless you can tell me how that can be a clear and obvious error like the one I posted earlier well :) I'll stand by it was a BAD call.
Neither side was good in the game but the US was listless throughout the tourney. I'm fine with the result. (US losing) I'm not fine with how it got there.
It was a clear an obvious error that was missed in real time; the ref didn't see Davidson kick Rose's legs out from under her. That's not a 'little touch' that's completely taking her out of the play when Rose was the one that got the ball and was in a dangerous position. This is a big part of what VAR exists for, and the fact that they actually used it properly for a change should be applauded.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It was a clear an obvious error that was missed in real time; the ref didn't see Davidson kick Rose's legs out from under her. That's not a 'little touch' that's completely taking her out of the play when Rose was the one that got the ball and was in a dangerous position. This is a big part of what VAR exists for, and the fact that they actually used it properly for a change should be applauded.

Your opinion on this?

BTW VAR reviewed it..

This to me is a MORE CaOE but :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad