All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Top players I'd like would be Ryan, Perry, Vanek or Clowe. Likely the first three would be hard to get. Vanek's cap hit would like make him hard to get as it'd put us close to the cap unless we send some salary back.

What's available?

I'd say available is our 1st, Bennett (If he doesn't work out and is given a good 15 games or so with Crosby) + one of Harrington, Morrow or Pouliot. Potentially change Bennett for Kennedy if he does well.

The UFA's this year could make things interesting. We have $52m on the payroll for next year with Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Tangradi, Adams, Jeffrey, Lovejoy and Bortuzzo needing resigning. Hopefully Perry or Ryan leave and we can get one of those whilst retaining most of above.

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
Michael Ryder will be a Penguin, but probably not until next year.

He is good. Ray should go after him.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Kennedy, Jeffrey, Tangradi, Lovejoy, and a prospect can be moved for someone. I think Clowe or Iginla would be ideal.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Top players I'd like would be Ryan, Perry, Vanek or Clowe. Likely the first three would be hard to get. Vanek's cap hit would like make him hard to get as it'd put us close to the cap unless we send some salary back.

What's available?

I'd say available is our 1st, Bennett (If he doesn't work out and is given a good 15 games or so with Crosby) + one of Harrington, Morrow or Pouliot. Potentially change Bennett for Kennedy if he does well.

The UFA's this year could make things interesting. We have $52m on the payroll for next year with Kennedy, Cooke, Dupuis, Tangradi, Adams, Jeffrey, Lovejoy and Bortuzzo needing resigning. Hopefully Perry or Ryan leave and we can get one of those whilst retaining most of above.

Don't forget Letang will be due for a raise the year after.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kennedy, Jeffrey, Tangradi, Lovejoy, and a prospect can be moved for someone. I think Clowe or Iginla would be ideal.

I don't know what team would trade their scoring winger for our leftovers. That "and a prospect" would have to include someone like Pouliot, Morrow, or Bennett before teams would even start listening.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

That package just looks like Kennedy and some scraps

I could see Kennedy and Tangradi going as part of a package (as Capt Hook layed out earlier), but pieces will need to be added that arent Jeffery or Lovejoy.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
I didn't say that was a package! I just said that those were some guys who could be traded. Yikes...

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
You guys saying we should sign Perry, trade for Vanek, etc. are crazy IMO. Our cap is already going to be very top heavy as it is. Just because you can make it work on Capgeek doesn't mean it's a good idea. For example, all the projected line-ups with another high priced winger I've seen have one or more of our D prospects playing a top 4 role for dirt cheap. That's not a foregone conclusion you know. Or just very optimistic assumptions on who would fill out the depth on the team and at what price. There is something to be said for keeping flexibility.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Get Kulimen re-united with Malkin

He is likely unhappy back in Toronto and played very well in KHL and plays very well with Malkin..

Big fast and young and was a 30 goal scorer i season ago

would he be a good match and what could we get back?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You guys saying we should sign Perry, trade for Vanek, etc. are crazy IMO. Our cap is already going to be very top heavy as it is. Just because you can make it work on Capgeek doesn't mean it's a good idea. For example, all the projected line-ups with another high priced winger I've seen have one or more of our D prospects playing a top 4 role for dirt cheap. That's not a foregone conclusion you know. Or just very optimistic assumptions on who would fill out the depth on the team and at what price. There is something to be said for keeping flexibility.
It can be done that's why Shero went after Suter and Parise last summer. He just has to be creative and also see the big picture.

Martin isn't going to be around much longer and that should cover some of Letang's raise.

Staal is gone and that should cover some of Malkin's raise.

Orpik will not be paid like a top 4 D for much longer and the savings should cover a raise for whatever young D develops into that top 4 role.

Not to mention you can get rid of guys like Kennedy if there are better options available and save 2 million there. Same with Vokoun.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He is likely unhappy back in Toronto and played very well in KHL and plays very well with Malkin..

Big fast and young and was a 30 goal scorer i season ago

would he be a good match and what could we get back?

Make this man the GM right now!

d23a6_ORIG-guinness_brilliant.jpg

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's never talked about but I think Getzlaf would look great as Crosbys winger. Pending UFA but I think the Ducks keep him.

I'm a big Clowe fan and his #1 on my list. I think the Pens top 6 needs his size and brand of mean.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Hemsky. He would be just what the PP needs. Tons of skill and a righty shot. I also think he's gettable. His injuries worry me though.

Morrow is another guy that worries me because he always seems to miss time and is slightly older than I would like to see. If the Pens could somehow get Ritche worked into a deal I would pass out. Gotta say the East really needs to see a line of Clowe-Crosby-Morrow..

As much as I like the idea of Hemsky's skill, he's not a shooter. He has an amazing wrist shot, yet barely ever elects to use it, and instead will pass up on perfect scoring opportunities.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Just because Sid's line hasn't scored in 2 games (to start the season after a long, long layoff) doesn't mean they're all of a sudden worthless wingers.

How easy is it for teams to shut down Sid's line in the playoffs? Philly didn't, he still scored what, 10, 11 points? And the harder defensive assignments that are put on Sid means Geno's line is less defended, and good luck leaving Geno and Neal with the weaker pairings.

This team doesn't need offense. It'd be nice to have Nash or Perry on Sid's wing, but the cost would be too great and at the end of the day wouldn't even have got us out of the first round last year.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
It can be done that's why Shero went after Suter and Parise last summer. He just has to be creative and also see the big picture.

Martin isn't going to be around much longer and that should cover some of Letang's raise.

Staal is gone and that should cover some of Malkin's raise.

Orpik will not be paid like a top 4 D for much longer and the savings should cover a raise for whatever young D develops into that top 4 role.

Not to mention you can get rid of guys like Kennedy if there are better options available and save 2 million there. Same with Vokoun.

Yeah, it can be done on paper, but it leaves you with little flexibility on the face of inherent uncertainty. For example, Sutter will need a raise, and it's awfully hard to predict how much. You can always find dirt cheap guys for the bottom six, but you might end up disappointed with what you get out of them. And what if our D prospects do end up underwhelming? It's unlikely that they all end up bums but it's possible that none of them end up being great. Then all of a sudden defense is a weakness with little recourse to improve it. It'd be more prudent to go for a shorter term fix while looking to take fliers on some younger guys.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN
#Isles Nino Niederreiter's camp is seeking a trade from the Islanders, a source tells ESPNNY. Unhappy with current situation

it's doubtful that they'd trade him here, still...

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Katie Strang @KatieStrangESPN
#Isles Nino Niederreiter's camp is seeking a trade from the Islanders, a source tells ESPNNY. Unhappy with current situation

it's doubtful that they'd trade him here, still...
It might work for him here. Bylsma is an expert on handling young players. :sarcasm:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
In all seriousness, a Kennedy & Tangradi package should realistically get it done.

Kulie is coming off a down year and while Burke was reluctant to trade him unless overpayment, maybe Nonis would pull the trigger if his play from last season continues. Im sure they will give him til the deadline to see what he can do.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wasn't he a 7-goal scorer last year? 3rd round pick and I'd take a chance on him.

Oh come on don't be that ridiculous :laugh:

I'd do Tangradi/Jeffrey and a 2nd or something along those lines. So basically, Toronto says no. They would be trading him for an upgrade or at least equal value player or high value prospects and we don't have the first part and aren't willing to move the second. So it doesn't happen IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad