All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I just can't see the target being an unestablished young player / prospect type. Why not just play Bennett if that's the direction they want to go.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The D looks fine currently.

There's no need to go cheap on Sid's wing anymore with Staal's big salary gone. Many of us have waited patiently to see how good this team can be when both Sid and Gino have legit wingers. It's time for that to happen.

A winger can also add defense through offense by helping Crosby attack and consequently pinning other teams in their own end.

Its only been 2 games this is pretty much the same def that gave up 30 goals in 6 playoff games last year.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Its only been 2 games this is pretty much the same def that gave up 30 goals in 6 playoff games last year.

They might not be as good as they've been in the first two games but they also aren't nearly as bad as they played in that playoff series against Philly.

It's possible Orpik and Martin will revert to their horrendous play of last year or Niskanen will struggle in a top 4 role over the long haul. We'll see. I'm not saying the D isn't something to keep an eye on but I also think getting Crosby a legit top line winger is long overdue.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I love the "Role" column that's been added. Perfect HFB touch. :laugh:

However I have to disagree with some role designations. Examples:

Wheeler is more likely to be his set up man than his Neal,

Franzen is not a true sniper, is too old and beat up and his contract blows,

Staalberg refuses to be on your list because you compared him to TFK,

Vrbata would be a Sniper (but not a Neal... who is a sniper), and

Malone would play with Crosbarz and beat on people for him,

Other than that, Gold Jerry, GOLD! :thumbu:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
BTW Perry, Ryan and Clowe are clearly better options long term than the rest, given their style of play / pedigree, their age, and assuming a reasonable contract could be worked out. All the others have some type of notable flaw or shortcoming. Especially the old guys, guys with attitude problems, and overpaid guys with attitude problems. I mean once Heatley becomes old he's going to be a veritable leper!

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
BTW Perry, Ryan and Clowe are clearly better options long term than the rest, given their style of play / pedigree, their age, and assuming a reasonable contract could be worked out. All the others have some type of notable flaw or shortcoming. Especially the old guys, guys with attitude problems, and overpaid guys with attitude problems. I mean once Heatley becomes old he's going to be a veritable leper!

You almost owed me a new keyboard. I was drinking a can of Coke while reading this. :laugh:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I love the "Role" column that's been added. Perfect HFB touch. :laugh:

However I have to disagree with some role designations. Examples:

Wheeler is more likely to be his set up man than his Neal,

Franzen is not a true sniper, is too old and beat up and his contract blows,

Staalberg refuses to be on your list because you compared him to TFK,

Vrbata would be a Sniper (but not a Neal... who is a sniper), and

Malone would play with Crosbarz and beat on people for him,

Other than that, Gold Jerry, GOLD! :thumbu:

thanks, this is the kind of stuff i'm looking for with regards to role. i still feel that Viktor is closer to an upgraded TFK than a Neal.

From the list in the OP (good list Lost in Crafton!)

thanks.

Another vet to add to the list would be Vermette.

isn't he their top-line center this year? any suggestions as to role and potential availability?

Last edited:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
thanks, this is the kind of stuff i'm looking for with regards to role. i still feel that Viktor is closer to an upgraded TFK than a Neal.

Might I humbly suggest a smaller number of general roles with a "Drawback" category? Might look like this:

Name......Fit......Flaw

Perry......Ideal.....None
Ryan......Ideal......Wants to be a Flyer
Iginla......Ideal.....Age

Clowe.....Great.....None
Wheeler..Great.....Consistency

Seto.......Good......Consistency
Franzen....Good.....Injuries, Contract

Ryder.....Average......Consistency, Soff

etc

I'd use Fit: Ideal (only a few guys), Great, Good, Average (why list less than avg?)

and Drawbacks: None, Attitude, Age, Hit/Contract, Soff, Consistency, Injuries, Experience, etc

You could actually put more than one value in for Drawbacks. See also: Heatley, Stewart, Staalberg, etc.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
What can we offer Edmonton for Pääjärvi? Like us they have a plethora of promising defensemen, and I don't think they'd have any interest in draft picks, as that would just set their rebuild back further. They are looking to win in the near future, and the only things I could see them being interested in is a good two-way physical center with size for their 2nd line or a (potential) #1 defensemen. I would expect them to try and package Pääjärvi and Gagner for an upgrade in one of those positions.

All that aside, I'm not even convinced Pääjärvi would be a better option for our top 6 this season than Bennett.
Edmonton needs young defensemen and draft picks since they are still a future-oriented organization. Don't doubt that.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
We could get Paajarvi for a single prospect or prospect and late pick IMO... he's a good buy low candidate right now. Possibly Ruopp? Both projects, neither ready for prime time, both nice upside for what the teams need? Low risk move for both teams... The problem with MP is he's not really going to solve our problem immediately. He's going to be like Bennett. In the AHL learning our system and gaining confidence until he's ready. Still might be worthwhile just to stock up the system a bit.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
We could get Paajarvi for a single prospect or prospect and late pick IMO... he's a good buy low candidate right now. Possibly Ruopp? Both projects, neither ready for prime time, both nice upside for what the teams need? Low risk move for both teams...

in that same line of thought - Teemu Hartikainen? don't know much about him, but he seems like a guy who is physical with some skill.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
I'll clarify. My point was that they are looking to win now, and we would probably have to offer an equal or better player for them to be interested. Unless we have other players that can step right and replace the player we traded away, we would just fix one problem and create another. When one of our defensive prospects are ready for top 4 duties I agree that Stewart would be a very attractive and possible addition, but I don't envision that happening during this season (hence the "at this point in time" comment). I would love to be wrong on that part though :).

I don't think we have a lot of expendable assets that are attractive to other contending teams. We have plenty of expendable pieces attractive to teams looking to rebuild.

I'm saying he's one of their better trade baits to include in a trade for possible upgrades in positions of need.

At the very least, in addition to Schultz, Klefbom and Musil looks very promising, while Petry has looked good so far in the NHL. I don't see young defensemen as a need for them, unless it's a potential #1.

My thinking towards the Blues was that Martin or Orpik could both look like good fits for them. For that matter Niskanen is plenty comfortable playing the left side.

For Edmonton the same three might interest them(maybe not Orpik as much for thier long term approach) as well as Despres, Morrow and Dumoulin(Despres might especially draw attention by deadline/offseason).

Not to say that I'd neccessarily want to trade those guys for Stewart or the Winger formerly Known as MPS. Im just saying that I think those two could make good trading partners depending on what we want to do.

Maybe in a few seasons if our defense is a logjam on the left we could trade Despres or any other young dman who proves himself to St Louis who might by then find a TJ Oshie or Perron type expendable, just like the Goligoski trade.

In the shorter term I could definatly see Dumoulin or Morrow making Niskanen, Orpik or Martin expendable for a Chris Stewart type. Depending on how thier all playing.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates

If we could work out the schedule to play Columbus 40 times Stalberg would be James Neal. Otherwise Im not even sure hes TK. But thats just my opinion. :laugh:

Also McGinn as Crosbys Neal? I woulda thought of him as Crosbys new Kunitz but admit I havnt seen him play alot so thats why Im asking.

VitaleFanatic said:
We could get Paajarvi for a single prospect or prospect and late pick IMO... he's a good buy low candidate right now. Possibly Ruopp? Both projects, neither ready for prime time, both nice upside for what the teams need? Low risk move for both teams... The problem with MP is he's not really going to solve our problem immediately. He's going to be like Bennett. In the AHL learning our system and gaining confidence until he's ready. Still might be worthwhile just to stock up the system a bit.
Dont they have Teubert for that role?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Get it done, Ray. Make it a priority.

Imagine if the Pens could roll out two lines who were pretty much a guarantee to score every night? Right now we've got one line, plus if Sid is in God mode. If Sid's not quite on his game (like the first two games this year), then that line isn't much of a threat. I'd like to see his line be a threat even if Sid's brought his 'B' game.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
No idea why a top 6 winger is a priority, our offense is tremendous as it is and Sid will get Kunitz and Dupuis going with him.

Top 4-6 D-man for me and we're set barring some midseason misfortunes.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No idea why a top 6 winger is a priority, our offense is tremendous as it is and Sid will get Kunitz and Dupuis going with him.

It's been said before, but: Kunitz and Dupuis make it too easy for teams to focus on, and shut down, Sid in the playoffs.

Further, just because Sid HAS produced with them shouldn't be an indication of success in building a line. There's nothing wrong with making things easier for Sid, he shouldn't have to be in 'full-flying omg greatest player of this generation' mode to get points out of his linemates

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh

If your Edmonton, why would you sell low on Paajarvi right now? He's only 20, it would make far more sense just to hang on to him and see how he progresses rather than to give up on him and dump him off for low return.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
If your Edmonton, why would you sell low on Paajarvi right now? He's only 20, it would make far more sense just to hang on to him and see how he progresses rather than to give up on him and dump him off for low return.

I agree. If they would want to dump Paajarvi, they'd want much more than Ruopp... probably a young more promising D like Maatta.

Pity he's lefthanded though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis is not a threat in the postseason. And I sure hope my point doesn't have to be proven and we go after someone for Sid.

Lets force the guy who's coming off injury the past two seasons to go into the postseason with Cup expectations without someone who can consistently carry the puck or be a scoring threat. He gave us a hometown discount, give the guy some help.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I just can't see the target being an unestablished young player / prospect type. Why not just play Bennett if that's the direction they want to go.

It would be a great thing to have more than one of those types, as more spots will be opening up in the top 6 down the road. Actually, if I were Shero I'd be looking to stockpile winger prospects. Sid (and hopefully Malkin) will be here for many years and the best route to get wingers is through your own system. As for this year, go the cheaper rental route, ideally a Guerin type.

Don't blow your wad on Iginla or Perry.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Not Pens news but the Vancouver papers and radio is saying Gillis has a deal in place for Lou but is waiting on the status of a player. Hearing Washington. Take it for what its worth (which isnt much as of now)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Because our offense requires Sid to be in beast mode in order for his current line to produce. When he's not in beast mode, we see his line produce like it did this weekend. Adding a skilled winger would allow Sid to be "average" and still have a chance at scoring.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not Pens news but the Vancouver papers and radio is saying Gillis has a deal in place for Lou but is waiting on the status of a player. Hearing Washington. Take it for what its worth (which isnt much as of now)

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad