All Encompassing Tyson Barrie Thread

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How bad was he? I only saw the third but I actually thought he looked quite good.

He wasn't bad, I still don't know why people are still sour about his play. He made some mistakes, yes, but overall his play was solid, and the fancy stats back that up. He may have had limited/sheltered minutes but didn't look overwhelmed at all. In fact he did a pretty good job moving the puck up and out of the zone, save for one bad turnover on a pass, but he was hardly the only Avs player guilty of that last night.

But I can see the point @Hasbro is making. You don't want that guy playing much more than a 7D role. But if it came down to a choice between him and Lindholm, based on last night's game I'd pick Warsofsky. But I just don't see why people took exception to his play last night. Lindholm was the guy I thought looked horrid last night, with Nemeth only slightly better.

Incidentally he wore the Brett Clark/Nate Guenin/Todd Gill/Shane O'Brien number last night (5). Guess that's just the token journeyman d-man number for this club.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His skating's an issue against the puck, he kept missing the net and rifling the puck out the other end of the zone, and flubbed some pucks. He wasn't the worst dman we've seen, but it was clear that he's not up to snuff in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Meloche a better option?
Not unless he's just been dominating for these past 3-4 weeks that I haven't been able to watch the rampage much. It's a shame that the numbers game & his nagging injury have limited him this year, cause if all had gone ideally he should've been ready to step in soon; but alas that's not where we are.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Warsofsky didn't look like an NHL player last night. For all of his faults, Anton Lindholm to me personally looks like an NHL player. A 6/7 sort, but his mobility and physicality is NHL caliber and his passing as passable (no pun intended). I think damn near every shot Warsofsky took last night missed the net egregiously, and whenever an opposing player had the puck coming down his side I was terrified.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Warsofsky didn't look like an NHL player last night. For all of his faults, Anton Lindholm to me personally looks like an NHL player. A 6/7 sort, but his mobility and physicality is NHL caliber and his passing as passable (no pun intended). I think damn near every shot Warsofsky took last night missed the net egregiously, and whenever an opposing player had the puck coming down his side I was terrified.

Warsofsky coming from behind his own net shits his pants and loses it to Pietrangelo who wasnt really even forechecking that hard lol. I think it was in the second period. Hilarious.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
If he trades Barrie at this point then it better either bring back a Nylander or an even bigger return than what Duchene got or I really don't think it's worth it.

Also, did Friedlund speculate that those teams are interested or did he say that they're actually interested? Because he was saying on his podcast that there might be a fit there but that was just speculation and maybe he's turned it into an actual rumour now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he trades Barrie at this point then it better either bring back a Nylander or an even bigger return than what Duchene got or I really don't think it's worth it.

Also, did Friedlund speculate that those teams are interested or did he say that they're actually interested? Because he was saying on his podcast that there might be a fit there but that was just speculation and maybe he's turned it into an actual rumour now.

It sounds like speculation but he said it on his podcast and then again on the radio today. It's probably going to end up a rumour whether that's what he intended or not.

“So I know he’s looking. It wouldn’t surprise me if one of the people he’s looking at when he comes back is Tyson Barrie from Colorado. He seems like the kind of guy – the Islanders have a guy like him in Leddy, but I think that’s the kind of guy that he could be looking at. At this point in time obviously hasn’t pulled the trigger, but I don’t think it’s from lack of looking.”

Friedman | I Know Islanders Are Looking At Defensemen

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I highly doubt Sakic would get Nylander from the Leafs for Barrie without adding significantly more to the package. Leafs already have a couple decent offensive defenseman. Not to mention they are more than a splash away from being a contender, as they need time to keep developing their core.

I wouldn't normally be prone to move Barrie, but if the team is thinking about moving on from him in the future with some of the guys in the system, I'd rather get something for him when demand is high from desperate teams and net a return that addresses holes. The fact that the Avs got nothing for Stastny despite the fact that the writing was on the wall the minute the Avalanche had four capable top six centers on the team just added to the long list of the times the franchise has failed to maximize the value of their assets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
How bad was he? I only saw the third but I actually thought he looked quite good.

He was very good, especially in the 3rd.

Not really sure why Hasbro was saying that honestly. I thought Warsofsky was our best Dman in the 3rd period. He played a quiet game in the 1st/2nd, seemed timid and afraid to make a mistake. But in the 3rd you could tell he let loose and was really doing a fantastic job driving the play up the ice. He's a real good skater and smart with the puck. That said, with his frame and overall timidness that he plays with, you can tell he's not really much of an NHLer. I think he did well in the 3rd last night because St. Louis had kind of completely went into a trap and gave our Dmen a lot of freedom to roam, one of the few parts of Warsofsky's game that he's pretty solid at. But overall I think he is too soft for the NHL.

Coaching staff seemed to like him a lot as well. He got a lot of minutes in that 3rd period.

As for Barrie. I'm still of the stance that he should only be traded if it's a home run deal that either A) Fills a huge need for us(#2C or goal scoring Winger, ideally with a Goalie prospect thrown into the deal as well), or B) Is a complete fleecing like the Duchene trade over again.

There's absolutely no rush to trade him right now. He' still our 2nd best Dman when healthy by a wide margin, and that wont change in the next year either.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Lol Friedman has become the type of reporter to start up rumours more than report on actual stuff these days. Not surprising given the amount of exposure he gets, but still annoying.

Ya, he use to be up there with McKenzie, but he's getting a lot more money for talking about his "thoughts". You can't blame him considering you stick his name onto something and people still take it for gospel.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, he use to be up there with McKenzie, but he's getting a lot more money for talking about his "thoughts". You can't blame him considering you stick his name onto something and people still take it for gospel.

You just have to be able to decipher what's his "thoughts" versus what's actually legit info being passed along.

He usually does a pretty good job at disclosing his thoughts before hand as well. Especially in his 31 thoughts column he does. When it's him thinking aloud he usually is sure to say so. And when it's a legit rumor being passed along he's pretty good at making sure that comes across as such as well.

For example, I know in his last article he mentioned the Leafs/Isles and said something along the lines of he wondered if those two teams might be kicking the tires on Barrie. Clearly that was more of him thinking then anything else.

But with his latest stuff about Barrie and the Leafs/Isles, he kind of goes more direct as to say that they are in on Barrie.

I have a feeling there's perhaps a little bit to this stuff and that the Leafs/Isles really are kicking tires on Barrie. Now, whether the Avs are seriously listening? That's a different story altogether.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman should be free to say that he thinks the Islanders might take a look at Tyson Barrie. That's not "starting up rumors". I don't get why people get upset over this, he's paid to share his educated opinion.​

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I like Friedman, I still have him up there with Bob and LeBrun. He might throw his 'ideas' out there a lot, but outside of Bob/LeBrun he's the one I trust the most.

I think Friedman just likes spit balling and speculating, on his podcast with Marek he said something along the lines of he misses when he could just go on the radio and spitball random ideas or theories he has, and then it goes up into the ether never to be heard from again. But now you have to be so careful with everything because in the 24/7 news world people are so hungry for that stuff.

Whereas LeBrun never really was into that, and Bob is too old and is the best so he's in 'f*** it I don't have time for that, lemme get to my cottage' mode.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LeBrun is oldschool hockey journalist, he probably learned early that journalists shouldn't have opinions. Friedman is more modern and he likes the spotlights a little more. Both are good.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
You just have to be able to decipher what's his "thoughts" versus what's actually legit info being passed along.

He usually does a pretty good job at disclosing his thoughts before hand as well. Especially in his 31 thoughts column he does. When it's him thinking aloud he usually is sure to say so. And when it's a legit rumor being passed along he's pretty good at making sure that comes across as such as well.

For example, I know in his last article he mentioned the Leafs/Isles and said something along the lines of he wondered if those two teams might be kicking the tires on Barrie. Clearly that was more of him thinking then anything else.

But with his latest stuff about Barrie and the Leafs/Isles, he kind of goes more direct as to say that they are in on Barrie.

I have a feeling there's perhaps a little bit to this stuff and that the Leafs/Isles really are kicking tires on Barrie. Now, whether the Avs are seriously listening? That's a different story altogether.

It's just interesting to me that Friedman went from "I wonder if..." to "The Isles and the Leafs are in on Barrie" in like a day or two. That seems like an extreme tonal shift that developed rapidly.

To be fair, I didn't listen to whatever he said on the radio, and the transcriptions of his spot on Calgary radio from Chris Nichols this morning made it seem like more of the same from the podcast (which I did listen to). I have no real problem with his speculation, but I think my issue is with people running with it and accepting it as fact and completely ignoring the part about speculation. Did he actually make that jump from "I think they'll look at Barrie" to "in on Barrie", which implies some kind of active pursuit? It's possible he didn't but it was just interpreted that way.

I think McKenzie avoids much in the way of informed speculation for exactly this reason: he doesn't want anyone taking his words and making a mountain out of a molehill. For all his protestations about it, I think Friedman likes to stir that up a bit more.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Friedman likes to get people talking. It's good for the league and it's good for him. I personally don't like how many "thoughts" he throws out there regarding his own personal trade theories. I appreciate his 31 Thoughts articles and how much effort he puts into them, so if that's all there is to complain about him I guess it's ok to stomach. I just personally don't like when reporters seem to create these rumours from seemingly nothing.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Not sure I really agree with the rankings but I was surprised to see T-boobs on this list at all.

Definitive ranking of NHL’s top 20 defencemen over three seasons - Sportsnet.ca

The thing with Berkshire's lists is that he's basing a lot of it on numbers nobody else has access to. And if you know anything about using stats to determine worth or value, you know that how you weight each number can have a big impact on the final result. So unless he posts his methodology and the raw numbers he used, you basically just have to take his ratings on faith.

If you're not sure what I mean, look at the top of the article and read some of the names of stats he uses to judge defense. I for one have no idea where to find a "puck battles won" or "stick checks" stat.

Oh and he limits his list to players who have played a minimum number of minutes, so guys who have been injured, like EJ or Shea Weber, don't even qualify.

So yeah, "definitive".

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Moving from the main thread:

I also am not terribly enamored with Barrie's defensive play. However, I think one thing that a lot of people are missing in this Barrie discussion, is that a successful hockey team needs a defensive corps that is good offensive and good defensively. However, that does not necessarily mean that every member of that defensive corps is good at both. Hence, pairings matter, personnel with different skill sets matter, etc. Pair Barrie with a solid defender, and the overall product on the ice is solid in both ways. A kind of strange analogy comes to mind: a well-balanced diet does not need to consist of 100% well balanced meals - how it all adds up at the end of the day is what matters.

But good hockey teams can't simply trade players who are very productive in one facet of the game, just because they lack production in another. Vlasic has averaged just 20something points per season over the course of his career, and is never going to be an elite offensive defenseman. I don't see the Sharks actively trying to dump his ass though. Pair him up with a partner who can put up points, and the team will do well.

I mean, if the Avs are going to trade every good offensive defenseman who isn't so great defensively, eventually the team isn't going to have any good offensive defensemen at all. Because if we had a player with Barrie's offensive skill - who is also very good defensively - we are describing a Drew Doughty-type player. And if there are a dozen hidden Doughty's out there, by all means, please let us all know who and where they are. Please let Joe Sakic know also.

Barrie is a very productive offensive player, and the Avs are fortunate to have a player like him on the ice.

First off, I listed a bunch of arguments people have made, not necessarily my own beliefs, but I enjoy discussions like this, so I'll defend the point I listed as best I can.

I understand your argument, but here's where I see a flaw in it. Vlasic may be flawed offensively, but as a defenseman that doesn't hurt his team much because it's much easier for a defenseman to hide that flaw by simply always passing the puck to someone with better offensive skill. On offense, the team with the puck has the choice generally about who has the puck, so if there's an offensively flawed player on the ice, that can be worked around.

But when a defenseman is lacking in defensive ability, it's much harder to hide and thus much more likely to hurt the team. This is because in defensive situations it's the other team who largely dictates where the puck goes. And if I'm the other team and I know one of the players on the ice is weak defensively, I am certainly going to focus the attack on that player.

And the key is, it's not necessary to have all Doughty-esque players on the blueline. It's also a myth that offensive skill automatically means defensive deficiency. All you need to have, in my view, is zero defenseman who are bad defensively. If they're offensively gifted, then they can be average defensively - they just can't be bad without it hurting the team. If you're looking for an example of the kind of guy I'd rather have instead of a good offense/bad defense player, look no further than Sam Girard. Very skilled offensively, yet at least average (I'd argue well above average) defensively. If you've got a talented forward group to go with such players, they don't necessarily need to be game-breakers to have a good team.

I think part of the issue with Barrie is that for most of his time here we've never really had a deep, talented forward group, so his offensive ability has been desperately needed (because any offensive ability was desperately needed), Hopefully, as our forward depth develops, or defense can also develop into being solid defensively first and foremost, and contributing offensively where possible.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not liking Barrie on the point on the powerplay. He's making some good passes and getting a few shots off but he needs to make use of the open space like Girard does. He's planting his feet and not moving when he has the puck which is making everything too predictable for the PKer's and goalie. It's pretty frustrating to watch.

Reactions: Hagstrom and MarkT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, I expect PP1 to really explode if/when Girard gets a chance to run it. He is so much better at moving around on the PP and creating space by using his feet. Barrie can move the puck well but doesn't move his feet enough to create shooting/passing lanes for other guys. Makes the PP a little too predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad