All Encompassing Tyson Barrie Thread

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Imagine PP1 with Girard doing the stretch pass he does to Wilson, except to Landy, Mikko or Nate.
What about Barrie in the Jost/Ghetto spot instead?
Then give PP2 to EJ or even Zadorov.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I think we should trade Tyson Barrie for Matt Duchene.

Discuss.

3f4.gif

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I expect PP1 to really explode if/when Girard gets a chance to run it. He is so much better at moving around on the PP and creating space by using his feet. Barrie can move the puck well but doesn't move his feet enough to create shooting/passing lanes for other guys. Makes the PP a little too predictable.
Girard on the 2nd gives more balance to both units but I'd love to see him on the 1st . Gotta keep Barrie's trade value up though .

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Where does Girard go when Makar steps in? Have to think Makar will be on that 2nd line PP.

We tried Barrie+Girard in PP1 last game, I think that kinda setup might fit better with our team than having Jost/Ghetto out there standing in the middle.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
We tried Barrie+Girard in PP1 last game, I think that kinda setup might fit better with our team than having Jost/Ghetto out there standing in the middle.

If they go to two D on the point it'd be nice to see Barrie and Makar out with the top line.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Am I the only one who wants to see was Z can do in a powerplay? Put him on PP2 either with Barrie or by himself if Barrie and Girard play both on PP1.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Am I the only one who wants to see was Z can do in a powerplay? Put him on PP2 either with Barrie or by himself if Barrie and Girard play both on PP1.

Z or EJ would be decent on the PP, but they're more needed playing Defensive hockey. With smallish DMen Girard and Barrie zooming around the ice, they need to keep their minutes down.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Z or EJ would be decent on the PP, but they're more needed playing Defensive hockey. With smallish DMen Girard and Barrie zooming around the ice, they need to keep their minutes down.

I would agree except Z is playing the 6th most minutes per game so far this season at 15:10. I think another 2 minutes of powerplay time would be great for him. EJ I'll agree because even without much powerplay time he's leading the defense in time on ice per game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Z doesn't have nearly the offensive skill set to be an impactful player there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess his 94 shots on goal last season were all total flukes...

Oh, and let's not forget his 7 fluke goals as well.

94 actually isn't a great number for a defensemen. But lets take this further... his individual shot attempts last year were 238. As you said 94 went on goal. EJ is known for having shot issues and not getting it on net consistently... last year he had 291 attempts and 168 made it on goal.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
94 actually isn't a great number for a defensemen. But lets take this further... his individual shot attempts last year were 238. As you said 94 went on goal. EJ is known for having shot issues and not getting it on net consistently... last year he had 291 attempts and 168 made it on goal.

The people who "know" this are wrong.
Here's some stats: 2017-18 Colorado Avalanche Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Scroll down at look at the Advanced Stats section at the stat Thru%
EJ had 57.7 last season - good for best among all defensemen on the Avs (Barrie had 47.7, Girard 48.1)

If you look back at past seasons, EJ routinely has led Avalanche defensmen in this stat. So the narrative that he sucks at getting shots through needs to die.

Also, as seen by the Barrie stats, one does not need to be an effective Thru% shooter to be effective on the powerplay, which is a different situation than 5 on 5, with more time to set up a shot and more Avs players on the ice to fight for rebounds.

And hey, if it doesn't work, they can change it. But it frustrates me that the one thing we're missing on both powerplay units is a big shot from the point, and we've got a guy with a big shot just sitting on the bench never being given a chance.

Oh, and people are fine with Girard on the powerplay - many want him on PP1, and his Thru% this season is 30.8 (Z's is 43.5).

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The people who "know" this are wrong.
Here's some stats: 2017-18 Colorado Avalanche Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Scroll down at look at the Advanced Stats section at the stat Thru%
EJ had 57.7 last season - good for best among all defensemen on the Avs (Barrie had 47.7, Girard 48.1)

If you look back at past season, EJ routinely has led Avalanche defensmen in this stat. So the narrative that he sucks at getting shots through needs to die.

Also, as seen by the Barrie stats, one does not need to be an effective Thru% shooter to be effective on the powerplay, which is a different situation than 5 on 5, with more time to set up a shot and more Avs players on the ice to fight for rebounds.

And hey, if it doesn't work, they can change it. But it frustrates me that the one thing we're missing on both powerplay units is a big shot from the point, and we've got a guy with a big shot just sitting on the bench never being given a chance.

Oh, and people are fine with Girard on the powerplay - many want him on PP1, and his Thru% this season is 30.8 (Z's is 43.5).

I understand EJ's issues are overblown... but Z's issues are understated. That is my point. Z has a hard time consistently hitting the net. A big shot is useless if it can't be counted on.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I understand EJ's issues are overblown... but Z's issues are understated. That is my point. Z has a hard time consistently hitting the net at even strength. A big shot is useless if it can't be counted on.

I added something.

The powerplay is a different animal. There's more time to set up a shot and there's fewer opposition players to get in the way - you don't have a guy on the other team dedicated completely to you alone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I added something.

The powerplay is a different animal. There's more time to set up a shot and there's fewer opposition players to get in the way - you don't have a guy on the other team dedicated completely to you alone.
Under 40% is pretty bad at any strength... look around the league and not just at the Avs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Under 40% is pretty bad at any strength... look around the league and not just at the Avs.

I have. I'm aware Z's shot on net percentage at even strength is bad. I'm also aware that the powerplay is a different situation for shooting than even strength, and we've never seen Z get any real powerplay time.

And again, if he gets put there and just keeps shooting it into shins over and over again, then fine, you take him off. But until they try it we'll never really know if it would work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The ol 2 birds in the bush is worth more than a bird in hand?

Z has a big shot that is inaccurate... there is no other skill he has that signals he'd be good on on PP. He has been give time too. It was tried in 16-17.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The ol 2 birds in the bush is worth more than a bird in hand?

Z has a big shot that is inaccurate... there is no other skill he has that signals he'd be good on on PP. He has been give time too. It was tried in 16-17.

Sorry shouldn't have said never. Meant consistently, and certainly never in the past two seasons - nothing really worked in 2016-17.

But it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree. You've clearly made up your mind on Z as a powerplay option. That's fine. I've explained why I want to see him tried there. I'm not sure there's anywhere further to take this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad