All Encompassing Tyson Barrie Thread

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sorry shouldn't have said never. Meant consistently, and certainly never in the past two seasons - nothing really worked in 2016-17.

But it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree. You've clearly made up your mind on Z as a powerplay option. That's fine. I've explained why I want to see him tried there. I'm not sure there's anywhere further to take this.

The only reason to put Z on the PP is cuz he has a bomb of a shot. Unfortunately it’s pretty inaccurate so that’d make him 4th best option for dmen on the PP at best.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The ol 2 birds in the bush is worth more than a bird in hand?

Z has a big shot that is inaccurate... there is no other skill he has that signals he'd be good on on PP. He has been give time too. It was tried in 16-17.
The other thing I would add to this is the FWDs usually have issues screening the goalie when there is a good chance the shot from the point might be coming at their head which happens quite often with Z. Then you end up with either a shot in the glass or if the shot is accurate there is nobody screening the goalie. Until Z can control his shot much better he is pretty well ineffective on the PP.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The only reason to put Z on the PP is cuz he has a bomb of a shot. Unfortunately it’s pretty inaccurate so that’d make him 4th best option for dmen on the PP at best.

I actually agree. The argument was based on the idea of Barrie and Girard both being on PP1, and wanting to keep EJ's minutes down. Z, being the 4th best choice, then became the obvious one for PP2.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry shouldn't have said never. Meant consistently, and certainly never in the past two seasons - nothing really worked in 2016-17.

But it looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree. You've clearly made up your mind on Z as a powerplay option. That's fine. I've explained why I want to see him tried there. I'm not sure there's anywhere further to take this.

Look at the actual numbers the way you did with the claim about EJ. Zadorov got a little more PP time in 2016/17 but that's because he got almost none before.

He finished 18th in PP time for the Avs in 2016/17. Behind five other Av defenseman, Barrie, EJ, Beauchemin, Barberio, and Wiercioch.

Another week or two and Girard will have as much PP time as Z did all season, and Girard's been on the 2nd PP unit most, if not all year. Barrie's closing in on twice as much already.

He may not be a natural PP option, certainly not on the 1st unit, but it's simply false that Zadorov has been given much of a look there. The biggest look they gave him was about the same as they looked at Nieto on the PP in 2016/17.

NHL.com - Stats

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I understand EJ's issues are overblown... but Z's issues are understated. That is my point. Z has a hard time consistently hitting the net. A big shot is useless if it can't be counted on.

Are you doubting the bombs that Peacock's lazers into net at will? If he liked score-goal more than make-hit, he'd already have a rocket richard.
The other thing I would add to this is the FWDs usually have issues screening the goalie when there is a good chance the shot from the point might be coming at their head which happens quite often with Z. Then you end up with either a shot in the glass or if the shot is accurate there is nobody screening the goalie. Until Z can control his shot much better he is pretty well ineffective on the PP.

As if peacock-bombs require screens. *indignant harumph*

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Look at the actual numbers the way you did with the claim about EJ. Zadorov got a little more PP time in 2016/17 but that's because he got almost none before.

He finished 18th in PP time for the Avs in 2016/17. Behind five other Av defenseman, Barrie, EJ, Beauchemin, Barberio, and Wiercioch.

Another week or two and Girard will have as much PP time as Z did all season, and Girard's been on the 2nd PP unit most, if not all year. Barrie's closing in on twice as much already.

He may not be a natural PP option, certainly not on the 1st unit, but it's simply false that Zadorov has been given much of a look there. The biggest look they gave him was about the same as they looked at Nieto on the PP in 2016/17.

NHL.com - Stats

Shouldn't this reply be to henchman24?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am not anti-Barrie and I am not trying to sound like anti-Barrie here, but for the love of God can all the Barrie fanbois' stop with this nonsense that he is a good defenceman. He is not and he never was - he is one of the worst 2-on-1 defenders I have seen considering his talent level and his positioning in the defencive zone resembles a city of blind zombies at times. Now I am not trying to call him either Zanon or a train-wreck here at all, because his game is passable enough for me to get by in the NHL. However, for the people who write statements like "he's good defencively" are wrong. Just completely and utterly wrong and it's frustrating when you lie like that.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
However, for the people who write statements like "he's good defencively" are wrong. Just completely and utterly wrong and it's frustrating when you lie like that.

Love Barrie when he's on, but too many people are blind to his crappy overall game here. Posts about how good he was playing last night had me shaking my head, last night he was like a lost puppy in his end and the neutral zone.

When he isn't tearing up the cycle with MacK he's having a hard time contributing.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barrie is like our #3 D currently and #4 once Makar develops. You cannot pay someone like that top dollar. I expect that Tyson sees himself as one of the premier players in the league and is looking for a big fat contract with term. If that is the case then he should be traded.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Barrie is like our #3 D currently and #4 once Makar develops. You cannot pay someone like that top dollar. I expect that Tyson sees himself as one of the premier players in the league and is looking for a big fat contract with term. If that is the case then he should be traded.
He needs to go , at this point I'm not even sure his value is even gonna net a decent return

Reactions: 5280 and Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Barrie is so polarizing, he gets the special honor of his own trade thread.

Last night, not at his best is really an understatement. He rides with the Top line and PP to gather his inflated points and consequently inflating his stats. Tight games when a team presses, especially with strong Puck Possessions such as CGY he is useless. Bigger teams like WPG, he is not only too small, not fast enough or good stickwork can't stop anyone. Size can be debatable, Girard is fast, high IQ and good stickwork is far superior to Barrie defensively.

If Barrie accepts a reasonable deal under $7M per, this might be a consideration to keep him. With the expansion, contract situation and Makar/Timmins on the horizon, trading him must be a consideration. I don't really see why they should keep him...include Barbeiro in the package as well.

Reactions: New Scotlander

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If Makar turns into the player we exprct than having Barrie would be a luxury we might not be able to afford. Having said that I want to keep Nathan happy. I know its a business and grown men shit but still i want to keep our MVP happy and keeping his tag team partner on the team will do that i think.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
To me he is the most expendable piece we have. He should be used to get something on the second line somehow. I’m just not sure the timing is right, but if we keep throwing up muffins like we just did, I think it should happen sooner rather than later.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
To me he is the most expendable piece we have. He should be used to get something on the second line somehow. I’m just not sure the timing is right, but if we keep throwing up muffins like we just did, I think it should happen sooner rather than later.
By the time the trade deadline comes around , I'd be willing to bet his name is close to the top of the list.

Reactions: Patagonia and 5280

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It just makes too much sense to me.

Barrie seems to be an obvious trade asset.

Maybe for some of the members of this group with fanboy crushes. Keeping him for Mackinnon seems childish. There are quite a few individuals he seems to have a good relationship on other teams: Crosby, S. Jones, Drouin, Marner and Gaudreau.

To overpay a teammate upwards of $8M p.a. to keep their star player earning much less seems to be a terrible method of managing assets.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd still be shocked to see the Avs move Barrie before the draft. Makar won't be on the team until after the deadline at the earliest. I can't see them moving Barrie on hope alone that Makar can immediately jump in and replace him.

Even if Makar was on the team before the deadline, I'd be surprised to see the Avs weaken the team, and shake up the chemistry so much heading down the stretch, and hopefully into the playoffs.

I really think they'll just use the same formula they used to handle the ROR situation. Briefly negotiate after the penultimate season to make sure you made your best offer and know where you stand. If you can't come to a deal, move him around the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: cgf

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I'd still be shocked to see the Avs move Barrie before the draft. Makar won't be on the team until after the deadline at the earliest. I can't see them moving Barrie on hope alone that Makar can immediately jump in and replace him.

Even if Makar was on the team before the deadline, I'd be surprised to see the Avs weaken the team, and shake up the chemistry so much heading down the stretch, and hopefully into the playoffs.

I really think they'll just use the same formula they used to handle the ROR situation. Briefly negotiate after the penultimate season to make sure you made your best offer and know where you stand. If you can't come to a deal, move him around the draft.
I agree plus at the draft it brings more teams into the mix.

Reactions: Waingro

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree plus at the draft it brings more teams into the mix.

Moving Barrie at the TDL allows the receiving team to have him for 2 playoff runs. Similar to the Duchene deal, the sooner they can have the player on the team the better their playoff chances.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Moving Barrie at the TDL allows the receiving team to have him for 2 playoff runs. Similar to the Duchene deal, the sooner they can have the player on the team the better their playoff chances.
But 'hockey' trades don't tend to happen at the TDL. It's usually the player for futures deals that you see at that time of year.

Reactions: cgf

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yes very true . I'd love to see him gone by the deadline .

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Looked much better with big Z next to him. The chemistry picked up where it left off last year.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad