Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So, two guys who probably shouldn't even be considered for an opening night roster spot are injured, I still don't see how this opens up any real playing time early in the season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So, two guys who probably shouldn't even be considered for an opening night roster spot are injured, I still don't see how this opens up any real playing time early in the season.

Believe the implication is that they would be LTIR'd, but not sure if that will be the case.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You can't get playing time until you first get on the roster.

My money says that Jurco is done as a NA professional. Back surgery at his age is a really awful sign.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

It doesn't. At least it gives GR prospects hope.

Hope is a wonderful thing.

But in this situation I'd say "**** in one hand and hope in the other...see which fills up faster".

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Malik has a translated interview with Jurco talking about his recent back surgery. Well, partially translated, I guess. Anyway, most interesting bit from it is that Jurco has been playing with some sort of back issue for a couple of years now, he thought he could deal with it through training, but it got worse over the summer, so they had surgery to "fix" it.

If jurco can feel comfortable enough to play with that edge he initially showed, he becomes a big time prospect again. His game went south hard as he became more of a perimeter player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If that was same problem/surgery they did to Quincey and Zetterberg, he should be fine on the long run. Quincey has said that he hasn't had any setbacks or pain ever at same spot after the operation. I think it was made 2009, 7 years ago.

Oct 18, 2006
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...298092/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Okay... no roster logjam anymore... :shakehead

Jurco - back surgery, out for 4-6 weeks
Pulkkinen - shoulder surgery, out for at least a month from season start
Saarijärvi - wrist surgery, out three months
Kronwall - knee rehab, should be ok for pre-season.
Will this correct his back issues once and for all? Sadly I'm real concerned about his future, back issues at any age, let alone at his age, are really not good.

Bad news about Saarijärvi.

Edit: Just saw that post and article about Jurco. That's what I suspected. People dump on him but boy he's had it tough, playing through back pain would be the worst. Fingers crossed he's okay after the surgery.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Many back injuries take a lot of time to get to 100%. If he can play relatively pain free this year, he should be back to what he was completely next year - my hopes

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I have a lifelong case of Spondylolisthesis(diagnosed 14 years ago), not bad enough to require surgery but I deal with discomfort and pain daily. It's very hard for me to play sports all the time - I can play a pickup game or play 18 holes, but I can't play 18 on back to back days. It sucks, I couldn't imagine trying to be a professional athlete with a back problem. I'm really curious as to what Jurco has been dealing with.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Back surgery is never a good thing, especially at Jurco's age. He fully recovers from his back injury when he fully recovers from it, not a moment sooner. I see zero bright side to this surgery.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Zetterberg should be fine, as should Kronwall to start the season.

If not, well :

XX - Larkin - Abdelkader
Tatar - Nielsen - Nyquist
Vanek - Helm - Sheahan
Ott - Glendening - Miller

(XX could be Athanasiou or Mantha. Or, most likely, Tatar/Vanek could be on the top line, while AA and Mantha start on the 3rd line)

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ouellet - Ericsson

Mrazek
Howard

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If not, well :

XX - Larkin - Abdelkader
Vanek - Helm - Sheahan

(XX could be Athanasiou or Mantha. Or, most likely, Tatar/Vanek could be on the top line, while AA and Mantha start on the 3rd line)

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ouellet - Ericsson

Mrazek
Howard

I think they will both be ready by the start of the season. Just don't really like that they won't have as much time for training and getting in game shape. Since they both are nursing knee injuries.

Guess Z still needs to have a MRI though, to know the full extent.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Possibly a blessing in disguise for Z, get some rest and come back when you're healthy. Maybe this means AA or Mantha will have 'earned' a spot on the team.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015

If not, well :

XX - Larkin - Abdelkader
Vanek - Helm - Sheahan

Dekeyser - Green
Smith - Marchenko
Ouellet - Ericsson

Mrazek
Howard

Holland is probably sitting there in his office with a massive smirk on his face, thinking to himself "See, this is why we need depth guys.. Depth depth depth.." "Hmm, i wonder if i still have legwand's number left"

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Because if there's something Zetterberg needed to help him rebound this year, it's a bum knee. Man.

Our Swedes are falling apart.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Real knee "injury" or not, but extra rest also for Zetterberg is nothing but good.

Don't be so cynical. If the Captain of the Swedish team didn't want to play, he would just say so and not hide behind an off-season injury. He missed out on Sochi too, so I'm sure this is a huge bummer for him.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Don't be so cynical. If the Captain of the Swedish team didn't want to play, he would just say so and not hide behind an off-season injury. He missed out on Sochi too, so I'm sure this is a huge bummer for him.

Are you basing this on anything other than your own opinion?

Seems lots of players are backing out of the tournament, claiming minor or non-existent injuries.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Are you basing this on anything other than your own opinion?

Seems lots of players are backing out of the tournament, claiming minor or non-existent injuries.

I'm basing it on the fact he's getting an MRI on his knee and why the hell would he lie when he could have just declined the invitation from the start.

I love how this is "my opinion" but the notion he's lying is somehow credible. Great stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad