Injury Report: All-encompassing Injury thread 2016-17

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
even if zetterberg didn't have a knee injury, can't blame a guy for not wanting to take part in what is essentially glorified exhibition games when he's 35 years old and already has chronic back issues

What chronic issues?

Zetterberg hasn't reported anything of his back problems since the surgery fixed all problems.

And he was able to play all games at last season. He has missed 5 games on last 2 seasons after the surgery, that's 5th most from our team. Only Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan have played more.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/570221

Also, Kyle Quincey had same operation at 2009. And when that Zetterberg injury happened, and there was talk about that operation, Quincey said that he has not had any problems after that for 5 years (2014). So there was former proof that it repairs the problem totally, and same has happened with Zetterberg.

So where's the chronic problem?

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
What chronic issues?

Zetterberg hasn't reported anything of his back problems since the surgery fixed all problems.

And he was able to play all games at last season. He has missed 5 games on last 2 seasons after the surgery, that's 5th most from our team. Only Nyquist, Tatar, Glendening and Sheahan have played more.

Also, Kyle Quincey had same operation at 2009. And when that Zetterberg injury happened, and there was talk about that operation, Quincey said that he has not had any problems after that for 5 years (2014). So there was former proof that it repairs the problem totally, and same has happened with Zetterberg.

Sorry I forgot the "in the past" part.

zetterberg is well practiced at playing through injuries so him not missing any games doesn't really say much to his health

the back might be good now but there's always the risk something happens to it again, especially for a guy with the amount of wear and tear on his body that zetterberg has

kahn also noted his back issues in his outlook for zetterberg

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/08/red_wings_outlook_henrik_zette_1.html

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
his skating hasn't been the same since that latest back injury.

maybe it's just age-related but it was pretty sudden fall considering how beastly he was 13-14 before the injury at the olympics.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
his skating hasn't been the same since that latest back injury.

maybe it's just age-related but it was pretty sudden fall considering how beastly he was 13-14 before the injury at the olympics.

It's probably back-related tbh. I mean do remember how badly he was walking during the Lidström retirement ceremony? It will be interesting to see how he does this season, moving over to the wing might help him but honestly if that back is still hurting i doubt we'll ever see him as a elite player ever again.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What chronic issues?

Are you really pretending that Hank doesn't have chronic back problems?

No back surgery "fixes all problems."

It'd be great if they moved him to wing and cut his ice time. With Datsyuk gone though I'm afraid Blashill will lean on him as hard or harder than he did last season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Are you basing this on anything other than your own opinion?

Seems lots of players are backing out of the tournament, claiming minor or non-existent injuries.

Which injuries exactly do you know for a fact are non-existent?

It's probably more a matter that the tournament doesn't mean enough to them to play through these injuries like they would with the Olympics.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's probably more a matter that the tournament doesn't mean enough to them to play through these injuries like they would with the Olympics.

I think this is just a different preparation, because there hasn't been this kind tournament for 20 years. When your summer training program is suddenly out of normal routines, some guys will have problems.

At Olympics, everybody is in better game shape after 50 games and there's less injuries on the play.

These injuries caused a kind of negative news feed, because there's nothing else happening in hockey. Just like Vesey-hype. And to avoid that, they should have just named 30 player groups earlier, and lock the final players before the 1st day of the tournament. Have "open competition" for spots. Then you know who are healthy are who not.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I think this is just a different preparation, because there hasn't been this kind tournament for 20 years. When your summer training program is suddenly out of normal routines, some guys will have problems.

At Olympics, everybody is in better game shape after 50 games and there's less injuries on the play.

These injuries caused a kind of negative news feed, because there's nothing else happening in hockey. Just like Vesey-hype. And to avoid that, they should have just named 30 player groups earlier, and lock the final players before the 1st day of the tournament. Have "open competition" for spots. Then you know who are healthy are who not.

True.

Honestly I'd be happy for any Red Wing to pass on this tournament. Even though Larkin is crazy young, he ran out of gas last season. Adding games to the year isn't going to help that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
True.

Honestly I'd be happy for any Red Wing to pass on this tournament. Even though Larkin is crazy young, he ran out of gas last season. Adding games to the year isn't going to help that.
Larkin is still at the point where basically all games at a high level of competition just helps him get more experienced and better. Not to mention he should be able to still drastically improve his strength and stamina each summer. I think it's nothing but a positive that he's part of the World Cup.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Which injuries exactly do you know for a fact are non-existent?

So, all of these people suddenly are too injured to play professional hockey? If not, then I'd say for a fact that some of the injuries are minor or non-existent.

"In the past week or so, Sean Monahan, Jeff Carter, Tomas Hertl, Radko Gudas and David Krejci have all begged out of appearing in the World Cup. Oh and Henrik Zetterberg. And Niklas Kronwall. And Duncan Keith and Jamie Benn. We might soon find out that Frederik Andersen, possibly injured in Olympic qualifying, is begging out too. And Henrik Lundqvist."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-if-world-cup-players-dont-care-should-you-140305763.html

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
So, all of these people suddenly are too injured to play professional hockey? If not, then I'd say for a fact that some of the injuries are minor or non-existent.

"In the past week or so, Sean Monahan, Jeff Carter, Tomas Hertl, Radko Gudas and David Krejci have all begged out of appearing in the World Cup. Oh and Henrik Zetterberg. And Niklas Kronwall. And Duncan Keith and Jamie Benn. We might soon find out that Frederik Andersen, possibly injured in Olympic qualifying, is begging out too. And Henrik Lundqvist."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-if-world-cup-players-dont-care-should-you-140305763.html

But you can't say for a fact. It's just conjecture on your part. Some of them could be fake, who knows.

More likely to me is that they're nagging injuries that guys don't think it's worth playing through to compete in the tournament. Or maybe thought they'd be 100% by the time the tournament rolled around. It's the problem with the timing of the tournament. Guys aren't going to want to risk worsening an injury right before the NHL season starts.

Why wouldn't a player give himself the option of playing if invited, then decide if he's healthy enough to do it when the time comes? He's got nothing to lose. And nothing to gain by taking himself out of the running early.

Larkin is still at the point where basically all games at a high level of competition just helps him get more experienced and better. Not to mention he should be able to still drastically improve his strength and stamina each summer. I think it's nothing but a positive that he's part of the World Cup.

If it were at the end of the season I'd absolutely agree. Headed into the grind of an 82 game season, I'd still rather he work on conditioning and packing on some muscle.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why wouldn't a player give himself the option of playing if invited, then decide if he's healthy enough to do it when the time comes? He's got nothing to lose.

Because they might be called liars by people in the internet!

Did all of them provide fake MRIs showing injury like Zetterberg? If not, hats off to the Wings for being the best liars.

Why the hell are we still talking about this after we have medical evidence being reported? People made up, out of thin air, silly conjecture about Z milking a fake injury, then it came out he has a real one, and people are still holding strong on the notion players fake injuries. OK, cool, but Zetterberg isn't lying unless you buy into the entire MRI was fabricated, which if so, I'm sure you have doubts about the moon landing, too.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
But you can't say for a fact. It's just conjecture on your part. Some of them could be fake, who knows.

So, a huge portion of the hockey media covering the event has more information than either of us, I'll choose to believe their conjecture that many players are backing out and citing minor injuries... over you guys just reiterating that neither of us have any facts.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
So, a huge portion of the hockey media covering the event has more information than either of us, I'll choose to believe their conjecture that many players are backing out and citing minor injuries... over you guys just reiterating that neither of us have any facts.

As is your right. My whole point was just that it's conjecture, which you just acknowledged.

Also, my original point was you referring to non-existent injuries.

I wholeheartedly believe that players with minor injuries would choose to not risk further injury by playing in the tournament.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is about RED WINGS injuries. Not guessing which player from another team is hurt or not.

Zetterberg is hurt. Confirmed. Won't require surgery. That's good. Don't need anymore banged up knees on this roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is about RED WINGS injuries. Not guessing which player from another team is hurt or not.

Zetterberg is hurt. Confirmed. Won't require surgery. That's good. Don't need anymore banged up knees on this roster.

Well unless it is like Kronwall and surgery won't do it any good... That was really the most depressing news, straight Earl Campbell diagnosis for Kronner this summer. Yeah that is going to hurt for the rest of your life...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well unless it is like Kronwall and surgery won't do it any good... That was really the most depressing news, straight Earl Campbell diagnosis for Kronner this summer. Yeah that is going to hurt for the rest of your life...

Oh geez, that's true. Noooo. :cry:

I took the language to mean it didn't require surgery, but it's always possible the prognosis is more like "Eh, it might not help anyway" or "It's not a good idea at this time."

A little tangential but... In the general population, surgeons generally only do 1 knee replacement in a person's lifetime. I've seen surgeons tell people to wait until they are older so the replacement doesn't wear out in their good years.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Legitimately how many players can be LTIR? We read Holland commending players for being "professional" and playing despite debilitating injuries, and for seasons at a time. I'm tired of it. Our older core players look debilitated and they are. Franzen, Z, Kronwall, E, they won a Gold medal 10 years ago this year, man those days are over. Every injured and broken down player should be LTIR and replaced by a healthy one until they are 100%. I'd like more guys of any caliber that have never yet needed surgery.

I think the players should somehow get more money younger and accept a shortened NHL career trajectory compared to the past. It's a young man's game and the NHL shelf live is decreasing. Thornton, Jagr, Datsyuk defy this fact but they are aberrations. The over-35 clauses are pure madness in my book. Why would we penalize teams when an individual is clearly past his last legs. Beyond early 30's should be looked at as the new retirement timetable. The league could encourage youth while guys in their 30's can retire comfortably instead of hiding and "playing through" inevitable injuries and breakdown.

The Red Wings are like a respite facility. How many players have ended their career here? May be it is a country club.:laugh:

Modano, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Commodore, Cole, Richards, Alfredsson, Weiss, Legwand, Salei (rest his soul), White, Huskins. Any I'm missing any the last years? At least Nielsen is at the cusp of his old age. Vanek and Ott admittedly have some life left in them, Miller too we need as many healthy bodies as possible. It would be perspicacious of the Wings to not continue to seek out FA's who are so near retirement.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Also, Zetterberg and Kronwall are skating on their own and won't be taking part in the training camp, not yet anyways.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Kronwall said he’s “very disappointed” with his health at this point, believing the extra time off would have helped him recuperate. And while it’s not the worst break for Kronwall to have to miss training camp, it’s not comforting when Kronwall admits that his knee was feeling like it could be ready for the season up until the point he got back on the ice.

From this Hockey News article. The bad news is he's never going to play at even a decent level again. He's pretty much toast at this point. I know people will want to sugar coat it and say Kronwall really doesn't need to participate in training camp. That is whistling past the graveyard, Kronwall is for all intents and purposes done as a useful hockey player. 35 year old guys with bum knees don't magically get better. We've seen it time and time again with older guys basically being incapable of playing hockey at a high level once one or both of their knees are shot.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Legitimately how many players can be LTIR? We read Holland commending players for being "professional" and playing despite debilitating injuries, and for seasons at a time. I'm tired of it. Our older core players look debilitated and they are. Franzen, Z, Kronwall, E, they won a Gold medal 10 years ago this year, man those days are over. Every injured and broken down player should be LTIR and replaced by a healthy one until they are 100%. I'd like more guys of any caliber that have never yet needed surgery.

I think the players should somehow get more money younger and accept a shortened NHL career trajectory compared to the past. It's a young man's game and the NHL shelf live is decreasing. Thornton, Jagr, Datsyuk defy this fact but they are aberrations. The over-35 clauses are pure madness in my book. Why would we penalize teams when an individual is clearly past his last legs. Beyond early 30's should be looked at as the new retirement timetable. The league could encourage youth while guys in their 30's can retire comfortably instead of hiding and "playing through" inevitable injuries and breakdown.

The Red Wings are like a respite facility. How many players have ended their career here? May be it is a country club.:laugh:

Modano, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Commodore, Cole, Richards, Alfredsson, Weiss, Legwand, Salei (rest his soul), White, Huskins. Any I'm missing any the last years? At least Nielsen is at the cusp of his old age. Vanek and Ott admittedly have some life left in them, Miller too we need as many healthy bodies as possible. It would be perspicacious of the Wings to not continue to seek out FA's who are so near retirement.

I hear what you're saying, but throughout the Holland era we've also had a lot of success with vets. Yzerman and Lidstrom played into their 40s. Chelios too. Hasek 2.0, Osgood 2.0.
We resurrected Larry Murphy's career. Dallas Drake won a cup in his final season. McCarty came back and did the same. Even some of the guys you listed - Alfredsson was terrific and led us in scoring. On a better Wings team he would have been a great addition. Bertuzzi was a solid 40 point player at a good price - the final contract was a mistake admittedly. Salei was a solid veteran D. Duchese, Olafsson, the list goes on of vets who've had success with us. Yes, Holland is over-reliant on them, but that's his MO.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
From this Hockey News article. The bad news is he's never going to play at even a decent level again. He's pretty much toast at this point. I know people will want to sugar coat it and say Kronwall really doesn't need to participate in training camp. That is whistling past the graveyard, Kronwall is for all intents and purposes done as a useful hockey player. 35 year old guys with bum knees don't magically get better. We've seen it time and time again with older guys basically being incapable of playing hockey at a high level once one or both of their knees are shot.

Define "decent level".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->