All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Teams did not send there forwards high to cover the threat of a shot down the middle or a pass from Rielly, they kept the PK box compact/tight and closed off passing lanes across to Matthews, too Kadri in the slot, Tavares tight to the net and Marner shooting lane. Babcock even spoke about this.

Leafs could definitely use more weapons, a 1 time option would be good.

We need more out of our #4C other than size. Like to see us replace the Goat with a Kuraly type player. The Bruins series turned around when Kuraly returned IMO.

Marcus Kruger would be nice, he got nearly 80% Defensive zone starts at 5v5 but still nearly had 50% CF on a mostly poor Blackhawks team. His cup experience and defensive ability would be nice.

Reactions: ToneDog

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Babs has made it clear you can't teach size, yet Dubas gives him Petan. What do you expect Babs to do ??

I always thought Petan was a backup for trades that will affect the next season. We already had Ennis and Moore who were playing better struggling to play on the fourth line. With Ennis presumably gone and at least one of Brown, Kapanen or Johnsson traded we'll see Petan on the fourth line at least.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Babs has made it clear you can't teach size, yet Dubas gives him Petan. What do you expect Babs to do ??

Play what you're given, (at least try it) stop whining and stfu. Take a look in the mirror and look at the systems you deploy and player usage. But he'll never do that because he's as stubborn and self-important as they come.

Babs has made a lot of things clear - half of which make no sense at all for an NHL coach...and supposedly the best NHL coach
If babcock wants to coach a team that is built on size, resign and coach somewhere else. Please

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I always thought Petan was a backup for trades that will affect the next season. We already had Ennis and Moore who were playing better struggling to play on the fourth line. With Ennis presumably gone and at least one of Brown, Kapanen or Johnsson traded we'll see Petan on the fourth line at least.

Petan added some depth and also took one of Babcock's toys away. Which is what you have to do it seems

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

He'll get the Leivo/Holl treatment

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He'll get the Leivo/Holl treatment

I'm not so sure, we're about to lose 2-3 forwards at least this off season unless Ennis takes the same deal or Kapanen and Johnsson sign bridge deals. We'll need another body and he seems like the next one in line so to speak.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Petan added some depth and also took one of Babcock's toys away. Which is what you have to do it seems
If babcock wants to coach a team that is built on size, resign and coach somewhere else. Please

I believe Babcock just wants some size/grit in the lineup along with his young skilled core.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Aside from back half of this season, the PP under Hiller has been quite good. Start of this season it had ridiculous historic start.

I don't think that warrants a dismissal. In fact I think that's quite a rash decision TBN and I'm actually surprised Babcock would back that change.

DJ I'm a little less forgiving of, but at the same time we keep going about how we need to improve the defence. So really I think he's probably done as well as possible given what's been there to work with. The PK aside from the playoffs has quite good as well.

I wouldn't fire him and I find kind it of funny how much he gets mentioned in GDT's when we're losing as opposed to when we're winning in a particular game.

If he moves on though to be a HC then good luck to him.

rumour has it that the stretch pass was more babcock than dj smith; the evidence the rumour mills quote is that dj smith never used the stretch pass system at any level he coached

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He's had that
Martin, Komarov, Polak, Leivo, Fehr <Holl (is 6'4)
I just get sick of hearing what Babcock wants. Coach the team. Be better.

skilled physical teams win the cup, its always been like that, pro hockey people know this. Dubas has/is been adding size aside from that dumb Petan deal. ..Muzzin, the 2 russians

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
did Babcock use the stretch pass in Detroit?
Did you watch Detroit?

Their stretch passes were quite amazing as a matter of fact. Lidstrom did them like no other, may be the most accurate long-range passer in the history of the game.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Did you watch Detroit?

Their stretch passes were quite amazing as a matter of fact. Lidstrom did them like no other, may be the most accurate long-range passer in the history of the game.

I didn't pay much attention to Babcock in Detroit, that's why I was asking

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nobody should be on a team to just do one thing. Besides, he was never even a good PK player. Pretty sure we could have called up a kid from the Marlies who could perform as well if need be.

Well he was more of an offensive player in Sweden, much more so than Gauthier was in the AHL. But you've got to be realistic with a 4th line center as the offense they produce especially when they getting about 30% ozs. Also which center? We're a bit shallow there TBH. They're using Engvall at C currently.

As for him on the PK. I can't really recall times where I thought he shouldn't be use on the PK. But the point is he was a better option for a face off than Hyman on one leg.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I hope Hiller is gone. What a brutal job he did this year.

It took them until game 7 to realize that it may be better suited to switch Marner and Matthews. And voila!!! They were generating chance after chance.

88 games and the PP never changed until they had their backs against the wall.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Play what you're given, (at least try it) stop whining and ****. Take a look in the mirror and look at the systems you deploy and player usage. But he'll never do that because he's as stubborn and self-important as they come.

Babs has made a lot of things clear - half of which make no sense at all for an NHL coach...and supposedly the best NHL coach

Babs did play who he was given. Petan just happened to be the 13th forward.

Have a look at the remaining 4 teams and tell me how many smurfs they are icing. For those that claimed you don't have to play heavy, how many of the remaining teams are as soft as the Leafs ? I thought the Canes were not a heavy team but they have been hitting the Bruins pretty good. One on the reasons I'd like to see us go after Ferland.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
skilled physical teams win the cup, its always been like that, pro hockey people know this. Dubas has/is been adding size aside from that dumb Petan deal. ..Muzzin, the 2 russians

Koshkov was a Hunter draftee but I hope you are right and he continues to add a few skilled NHL ready physical players this summer.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Koshkov was a Hunter draftee but I hope you are right and he continues to add a few skilled NHL ready physical players this summer.

He will, the opportunity to win a cup is now, Shanny will not let him experiment and try to invent a new way of winning the cup, especially with the elite core they have right now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Babcock would have played the hell out of Lindholm had he stayed
But being the jerk that he is, he won't play Petan....just because
I wonder if Petan will become Babcock's next version of Josh Leivo of always being a healthy scratch, even though Dubas signed him to a 2 year extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad