All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That would really tick me off. But it would be a Babs move. Babs wanted Lindholm and Dubie traded him for Petan so Petan could be screwed. At some point Shanny will have to let Babs go. Clearly we are not there yet. So another season of his antics and one more playoff shot i guess. he can go with Marleau. Perhaps that would be fitting.
At least that trade showed that Dubas is still Babcock's boss and even though Babcock kept playing Lindholm when he did not deserve to be in the lineup, Dubas went ahead and still traded him.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Dubas trades Connor Brown which almost happened at the trade deadline and he's another one of Babcock's favorites who did not produce with his offense this season.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That would really tick me off. But it would be a Babs move. Babs wanted Lindholm and Dubie traded him for Petan so Petan could be screwed. At some point Shanny will have to let Babs go. Clearly we are not there yet. So another season of his antics and one more playoff shot i guess. he can go with Marleau. Perhaps that would be fitting.

I'm hoping his antics are over and he's given clear directives. No bullshit here Mr Babcock youre performance here hasn't been good enough. Play who we sign, don't let guys rot, and start thinking outside your template comfort zone

Reactions: Go4soda

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
At least that trade showed that Dubas is still Babcock's boss and even though Babcock kept playing Lindholm when he did not deserve to be in the lineup, Dubas went ahead and still traded him.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Dubas trades Connor Brown which almost happened at the trade deadline and he's another one of Babcock's favorites who did not produce with his offense this season.
Imagine if Dubas traded Hyman for cap space :laugh:

Babcock might just quit on the spot.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

It's too bad because I think Brown has the talent. He just hasn't worked well in the role Babcock cut out for him
He's definitely helped some, but he's hindered others IMO.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's too bad because I think Brown has the talent. He just hasn't worked well in the role Babcock cut out for him
He's definitely helped some, but he's hindered others IMO.
I think Brown is a hard worker but there is no role for him on the team unless he plays 3C

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
At least Sheldon Keefe will not be going to the Sabres.

Unless something surprising happens, Keefe is probably still with us next season.
Edmonton and Ottawa haven't really been connected to Keefe, and not sure Anaheim considers him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Unless something surprising happens, Keefe is probably still with us next season.
Edmonton and Ottawa haven't really been connected to Keefe, and not sure Anaheim considers him.
Keefe's name has not been brought up with any of those teams and I think the leading candidate for Anaheim is Dallas Eakins because he's coaching their AHL team in San Diego. However since they are in the Western Conference Finals of the AHL Playoffs he can not be hired yet.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Just realized that Paul MacLeans son A.J is an Assistant Coach for the Marlies. A.J also was an assistant coach for the Soo Greyhounds (before following Keefe to Marlies)... all of whom of course were hired by Dubas both in Soo and in Toronto.

Paul MacLean worked for Babs for 8 years... he was one of Babcocks assistants in Anaheim. Paul MacLean followed Babcock to Detroit when Babcock left Anaheim to go to Detroit. MacLean left Babcock to take a head coaching job in Ottawa.

Paul MacLean and Anaheim mutually parted ways in 2017.... so he is unemployed currently

Given that his son is an assistant coach for the Marlies, and that he formerly worked for/with Babcock for 8 years.... I wonder if he may end up in Toronto if Hiller is in fact let go?

Although given all the head coaching changes, It is weird that Paul MacLean has not been given another head coach position (haven't even heard of him interviewing)... he's a former Jack Adams winner, is there something behind the scenes that I don't know, or nobody knows?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If the one or more of the assistants are not back (although I find it hard to believe Hiller won't be) would you rather they hire a coach who available outside the organization, or promote Keefe to a position of assistant until he can take over the head coaching job?

Personally I would hope they keep Keefe on the Marlies another season and if Babcock doesn't show he can push the team to at least a conference final, replace him with Keefe. Just hope nobody snatches him up before then.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If the one or more of the assistants are not back (although I find it hard to believe Hiller won't be) would you rather they hire a coach who available outside the organization, or promote Keefe to a position of assistant until he can take over the head coaching job?

Personally I would hope they keep Keefe on the Marlies another season and if Babcock doesn't show he can push the team to at least a conference final, replace him with Keefe. Just hope nobody snatches him up before then.

I would rather they just fire Babcock now and make Keefe head coach. Babcock is too old and stubborn to change. Unfortunately, we're stuck with this fossil for another year.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
These two assistants might have in fact been terrible but alot of that should fall on Babcock.

I mean he's the one who hand picked these guys and then gave them the power to run their systems.

I mean at any point during the season Babcock could have spoke up and told these clowns that their strategy wasnt working and he was going to do things his way.

I mean he's the highest paid hockey coach in the entire world, certainly he should be able to put together functional PP or defensive units.

Babcock either didnt have the nuts to take away their power or doesnt know any better adjustments and thats why we saw none basically all season.

Babcock is the general and responsible for the performance of the people he puts in important roles.

Not saying that either Hiller or Smith aren't bad but if Babcock is as good of a coach as some proclaim, it should have never gotten to the point it did.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Keefe's name has not been brought up with any of those teams and I think the leading candidate for Anaheim is Dallas Eakins because he's coaching their AHL team in San Diego. However since they are in the Western Conference Finals of the AHL Playoffs he can not be hired yet.
Very intriguing. Keefe looks like an obvious candidate for these jobs. He’s had big success -and recent- at the AHL level and is young and well known. He is highly regarded and yet is not linked to any teams looking for coaches? Either teams know something we don’t (leafs have an agreement with him making him unavailable) or teams are spooked by the stigma surrounding his past. I would think the ladder has been resolved by now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would rather they just fire Babcock now and make Keefe head coach. Babcock is too old and stubborn to change. Unfortunately, we're stuck with this fossil for another year.

They're saving the firing of Babcock until next summer after the Leafs miss the playoffs or bow out in round #1 again.

Babcock is a good buffer for Shanny/Dubas in case the Leafs cap situation causes a down season.

If they made Keefe coach this year and Leafs miss the playoffs then is it the Cap hell or the rookie coach the reason for results?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

The Toronto Maple Leafs should not be a training ground for coaches and GMs. Shanny gave the rookie, Dubas the reigns and he showed his inexperience and we lost an opportunity to go deep. No way am I risking going with a rookie coach next year or in any year the team projects to go deep.

Reactions: Duffman955

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad