All Encompassing Coaching Status Thread | TOR hire Paul McFarland as an Assistant Coach

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Reactions: cookie and Al14

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If I had to guess, Babcock’s safety will Ben directly tied to the amount of viable NHL job offers Keefe has.

This is what I was contemplating as well. Let's say Keefe has a job offer (or two or three) that he is willing to accept -- what lengths would Dubas go to keep him? Would that trigger him to fire Babcock and instill Keefe as coach so he doesn't move on elsewhere.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Friedman provided some insight in 31 Thoughts

“There’s speculation the Maple Leafs would add Keefe as an assistant if they lost Smith or Jim Hiller, but that’s like playing with nitroglycerine and hoping it doesn’t explode. (Hiller has another year under contract, but there are a few teams interested). My personal belief was that Mike Babcock returns for next season, but now I’m not sure. Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that Buffalo asks to speak to him. What happens then?”

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: Intrigue around NHL Draft starting to take shape - Sportsnet.ca
2. Ottawa’s list includes Dallas assistant Rick Bowness, incumbent Marc Crawford, NCAA Providence’s Nate Leaman, AHL Belleville bench boss Troy Mann, Martin and Toronto assistant DJ Smith. GM Pierre Dorion will pare down this group over the next couple of weeks. Tippett is the favourite in the Alberta capital, with Smith and Dallas assistant Todd Nelson also possibilities. In Anaheim, I assume Dallas Eakins until proven otherwise.

3. Another Toronto assistant, Jim Hiller, has blanket permission to interview with anyone, and is not expected back. Nashville is believed to be among the interested teams. Makes sense as Hiller has a reputation for power-play expertise. Former Florida coach Bob Boughner is a possibility as an Edmonton assistant. There are lots of rumours about Andrew Brunette next to Joel Quenneville in Florida, and there’re also rumblings of movement alongside Jeff Blashill in Detroit.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Friedman provided some insight in 31 Thoughts

“There’s speculation the Maple Leafs would add Keefe as an assistant if they lost Smith or Jim Hiller, but that’s like playing with nitroglycerine and hoping it doesn’t explode. (Hiller has another year under contract, but there are a few teams interested). My personal belief was that Mike Babcock returns for next season, but now I’m not sure. Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that Buffalo asks to speak to him. What happens then?”
Since Brendan Shanahan has a history of not letting Kyle Dubas interview that time with Colorado, do you think Dubas might do the same with Keefe? I believe that Buffalo wants permission to interview him and it's why they have not yet hired a new coach. Of course once the Marlies season is over Dubas could name Keefe as one of Babcock's new assistants and that could end any talks of him going to the Sabres.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Since Brendan Shanahan has a history of not letting Kyle Dubas interview that time with Colorado, do you think Dubas might do the same with Keefe? I believe that Buffalo wants permission to interview him and it's why they have not yet hired a new coach. Of course once the Marlies season is over Dubas could name Keefe as one of Babcock's new assistants and that could end any talks of him going to the Sabres.

Shanahan allowed Dubas to talk to Colorado, and when they offered him a job, Shanny revoked access.

Buffalo apparently wants an experienced GM, which is why Gronberg signed with Zurich. He was a candidate with the Sabres.

But, if the rumours are true and we recently have Keefe a mega deal, I think he’d rather just run the Marlies bench then be Babcock’s assisgant

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Shanahan allowed Dubas to talk to Colorado, and when they offered him a job, Shanny revoked access.

Buffalo apparently wants an experienced GM, which is why Gronberg signed with Zurich. He was a candidate with the Sabres.

But, if the rumours are true and we recently have Keefe a mega deal, I think he’d rather just run the Marlies bench then be Babcock’s assisgant
No matter who Babcock's assistants would be, should that decision only come from Dubas himself or should him and Babcock agree together?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No matter who Babcock's assistants would be, should that decision only come from Dubas himself or should him and Babcock agree together?

I’ve heard Paul MacLean’s name pop up, which tells me they may be letting Babcock choose. Which makes sense. If this is Babcock’s make or break year, let him choose his guys.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’ve heard Paul MacLean’s name pop up, which tells me they may be letting Babcock choose. Which makes sense. If this is Babcock’s make or break year, let him choose his guys.
I know it was a different management team but when Ron Wilson was the coach and his assistants were fired, did Brian Burke choose their replacements or was it Wilson who did that? So it's almost the same situation we are seeing today.

I'm also sure that same situation happened with Randy Carlyle before he was fired, when Dave Nonis was the GM.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know it was a different management team but when Ron Wilson was the coach and his assistants were fired, did Brian Burke choose their replacements or was it Wilson who did that? So it's almost the same situation we are seeing today.

I'm also sure that same situation happened with Randy Carlyle before he was fired, when Dave Nonis was the GM.

Yeah, the Leafs assistants have been funky for a while.

Babcock brought Hiller with him and I think Smith was someone he liked but management was also involved there IIRC.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Aside from back half of this season, the PP under Hiller has been quite good. Start of this season it had ridiculous historic start.

I don't think that warrants a dismissal. In fact I think that's quite a rash decision TBN and I'm actually surprised Babcock would back that change.

DJ I'm a little less forgiving of, but at the same time we keep going about how we need to improve the defence. So really I think he's probably done as well as possible given what's been there to work with. The PK aside from the playoffs has quite good as well.

I wouldn't fire him and I find kind it of funny how much he gets mentioned in GDT's when we're losing as opposed to when we're winning in a particular game.

If he moves on though to be a HC then good luck to him.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Aside from back half of this season, the PP under Hiller has been quite good. Start of this season it had ridiculous historic start.

I don't think that warrants a dismissal. In fact I think that's quite a rash decision TBN and I'm actually surprised Babcock would back that change.

DJ I'm a little less forgiving of, but at the same time we keep going about how we need to improve the defence. So really I think he's probably done as well as possible given what's been there to work with. The PK aside from the playoffs has quite good as well.

I wouldn't fire him and I find kind it of funny how much he gets mentioned in GDT's when we're losing as opposed to when we're winning in a particular game.

Even though the power play was great to start the season once other teams knew what they would always do at least with the #1 power play line, wasn't Babcock getting criticism for not changing the look of it? It was always Marner at the point doing the same thing so Matthews or Tavares could get the puck in front of the net.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The team didn't improve like they should have and the assistants played a role in that. There should be some turnover outside of the obvious people to keep. I'm hopeful they're both replaced and we have some new voices in those positions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

But its twonplayoffs in a row where special teams have cost the Leafs a chance to move on. I'm not a fan of small sample sizes shaping big decisions but eventually enough has to be enougg.

The other issue with the PP is that the 2nd unit hasn't been great for a couple years now but usage still remains strangely balanced. Aside from when the 1st unit has been redhot from time to time I'd like to have seen some bigger changes made

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Babcock brought Hiller with him and I think Smith was someone he liked but management was also involved there IIRC.
Something else funky is this. The last Leafs GM who hired his own coach is when Brian Burke hired Randy Carlyle.

Prior to him Ron Wilson was already the coach when Burke was hired and later on after Burke was fired Dave Nonis kept Carlyle. After Nonis was fired Shanahan hired Babcock as the coach and 2 months later he named Lamoriello GM and now it's Dubas, so neither one of them actually hired Babcock.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Hunter recommended Smith. Babcock had his choice of Smith or Keefe for an assistant, he chose Smith.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Even though the power play was great to start the season once other teams knew what they would always do at least with the #1 power play line, wasn't Babcock getting criticism for not changing the look of it? It was always Marner at the point doing the same thing so Matthews or Tavares could get the puck in front of the net.

Ok, I don't think firing Hiller is necessary to making that adjustment.

It would seemed fairly easy to fix because I don't think it works when you have such a designated shooter and passer as we do with Matthews and Marner. Well unless you're Washington and you have Ovechkin smacking one timers I suppose. But Mitch isn't a shooting threat from either side and Matthews is kind of wasted just being used as the shooter.

If it was me, it be Matthews and Tavares/Nylander on the flanks, Kadri in front of the net and Marner at the bumper spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad