Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I like that location, a lot. Assuming the county island doesn't require a vote then. We can't go through that again. We also don't have time for that.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Building in a floodplain doesn't seem like a good idea unless levees are part of the plan.

1691608606303.png

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I would like it even more, if Mesa added a light rail connection that went to the arena
site. I come from Surprise and with the new transportation hub under construction at
the Metrocenter, it would be convenient to get on the light rail there as opposed to getting on the 101fwy during rush hour to get to the arena. I've taken light rail to the Mullet and that beats fwy traffic not to mention getting in and out of the parking garage.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's basically Tempe Marketplace East. Coyotes Marketplace?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would like it even more, if Mesa added a light rail connection that went to the arena
site. I come from Surprise and with the new transportation hub under construction at
the Metrocenter, it would be convenient to get on the light rail there as opposed to getting on the 101fwy during rush hour to get to the arena. I've taken light rail to the Mullet and that beats fwy traffic not to mention getting in and out of the parking garage.

While that's a great thought, it would take an hour+ to get down to Mesa from Metrocenter transit hub I imagine.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
For my one foray to the Mullett last season I left early (driving) and got to Four Peaks Brewery at about 4:45 and had dinner prior to the game. Working around rush hour sucks. Riding the light rail at 10:30pm doesn't appeal to me. I'm in Surprise, too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lads, back here once again. I got a question for you lot that live on the ground there, is the area where he's buying the land a good spot? The worst thing that could happen to the Coyotes is to get a full state-of-the-art arena outside of a popular and populous zone like what happened to the Ottawa Senators and Florida Panthers (and Phoenix 1.0).

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Lads, back here once again. I got a question for you lot that live on the ground there, is the area where he's buying the land a good spot? The worst thing that could happen to the Coyotes is to get a full state-of-the-art arena outside of a popular and populous zone like what happened to the Ottawa Senators and Florida Panthers (and Phoenix 1.0).
It's a pretty solid spot. It'd be a 50 minute drive for me but I also live 10 minutes from the old arena, so that was likely to happen no matter what. It'd be pretty easy to get to. All freeway with it being next to two freeways. On the side of town where the majority of season ticket holders and premium seat buyers are. Close to Scottsdale which is good for traveling fans. There's an entertainment district just like 10ish minutes and on the way towards the site. All in all, it's a solid site. Not the Tempe spot level of good cause that spot was perfect, but this is still pretty good.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

In terms of proximity to downtown Phoenix, it's just about as good as you could hope for. It's right by one of the biggest freeway interchanges in the whole Valley - the Loop 101 and the 202 - and it's about 10 minutes' freeway time (tops) from Sky Harbor International Airport and the heart of downtown. ASU and the previously explored build site are about 5 miles west, along with the Tempe Marketplace which is one of the biggest retail plazas in the area. Scottsdale and some of the wealthiest people in the Valley are a straight shot north on the Loop 101.

It's a tick farther southeast than ideal for a truly central location, but it's smack dab in the middle of good freeway access and has proximity to wealthy customers, both individual and corporate. And, importantly, it's very close to the grassroots hockey community.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
While that's a great thought, it would take an hour+ to get down to Mesa from Metrocenter transit hub I imagine.
I took the Light rail from Camelback and Central and it took about 30 minutes to Tempe.
The traffic getting out of the parking garage probably took 15-20 minutes, not to mention the
cost. After paying $125 for the tickets, I didn't want to also pay some hefty amount to park for a couple of hours.

It was also cool to meet other Coyotes fans headed to the game.

Reactions: Edenjung

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
For my one foray to the Mullett last season I left early (driving) and got to Four Peaks Brewery at about 4:45 and had dinner prior to the game. Working around rush hour sucks. Riding the light rail at 10:30pm doesn't appeal to me. I'm in Surprise, too.
I've gotten comfortable riding the LA trains, the Phoenix light rail is fairly mild in comparison.
There are people that quite literally (not kidding) live on the LA trains and the smell in some of the cars is vomit inducing.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Building in a floodplain doesn't seem like a good idea unless levees are part of the plan.
That little wedge I think is pretty much out of the blue....unlike the gravel pit, actually.

Plus, divert a little water to the south right next to the 202 and you have not just a county island, but a literal island. Coyote Island.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Maple Leafs fans sweating as if they lived here.

Its very surprising how little attention the Matthews and Nylander contract status is getting in Toronto this summer. I suspect level of panic might start to increase by start of training camp.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Its very surprising how little attention the Matthews and Nylander contract status is getting in Toronto this summer. I suspect level of panic might start to increase by start of training camp.
But I was told that Matthews was going to sign July 1st.
Can't help but think Auston is keeping an eye out for the on going Coyotes saga, stay tuned.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In terms of proximity to downtown Phoenix, it's just about as good as you could hope for. It's right by one of the biggest freeway interchanges in the whole Valley - the Loop 101 and the 202 - and it's about 10 minutes' freeway time (tops) from Sky Harbor International Airport and the heart of downtown. ASU and the previously explored build site are about 5 miles west, along with the Tempe Marketplace which is one of the biggest retail plazas in the area. Scottsdale and some of the wealthiest people in the Valley are a straight shot north on the Loop 101.

It's a tick farther southeast than ideal for a truly central location, but it's smack dab in the middle of good freeway access and has proximity to wealthy customers, both individual and corporate. And, importantly, it's very close to the grassroots hockey community.
Sounds like Meruelo is going to put down a couple of letters of intent for land around the area and choose from there. Seems this land isn't the only final option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad