Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

Arizona Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo has put in a letter of intent to purchase 41 acres in Mesa for the team’s new arena, per Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro. This would begin a process to develop the first privately funded sports and entertainment district in the state.

Meruelo is still looking into other possible sites, with areas in the East Valley, including Mesa, Phoenix and Scottsdale, according to Gambadoro.

Last edited:

wbwing

Aug 28, 2014
Where exactly in Mesa is this? On its surface Mesa sounds underwhelming. Whatever keeps them here though.

Reactions: Coyotes19c

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think it’s probably that Alma School and 202 spot. The big sand and gravel pit. Which I think is a fantastic location, personally. Really, really good. 2nd best spot rumored behind TED, I think.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
reached out to my guy who has been feeding me some info on this drama. He’s been adamant about Sloan park before the move to Mullet.

He can’t give me a ton of info, because it could change literally tomorrow lol, but don’t be shocked if the Sloan Park location has some concrete plans in the next 45 days.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I think it’s probably that Alma School and 202 spot. The big sand and gravel pit. Which I think is a fantastic location, personally. Really, really good. 2nd best spot rumored behind TED, I think.
That’d put them in Mesa Riverview, which could use the boost for sure. It’s an area ripe for more development

Reactions: Knights2017

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

reached out to my guy who has been feeding me some info on this drama. He’s been adamant about Sloan park before the move to Mullet.

He can’t give me a ton of info, because it could change literally tomorrow lol, but don’t be shocked if the Sloan Park location has some concrete plans in the next 45 days.
Right next to Scottsdale? Sign me TF up

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Gambo mentions this is just one site he's putting an interest in on. He also says Meruelo could issue one or two more of these at other locations.

(Meanwhile..... Google is getting a lot of requests for 41 acre parcels in Mesa.....)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Gambo mentions this is just one site he's putting an interest in on. He also says Meruelo could issue one or two more of these at other locations.

(Meanwhile..... Google is getting a lot of requests for 41 acre parcels in Mesa.....)
I wouldn’t be shocked if there are other bids.

I also wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see Mesa end up being the location. John Giles REALLY REALLY wants the Coyotes. Haha

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Huh, Mesa doesn't seem ideal, but if it's the area where it's close to Tempe/Scottsdale then cool. Really anywhere in state is better than moving, but this can't be another crappy location. Sustainable long term success is a MUST.

Also WTH is Rhuigi?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Do you mean that sand and gravel pit? It’s right near Sloan. The Red Mountain 202 at Alma School Road

If salt river talks have gone quiet then move Mesa to the top of the priority list. Sloan park/Mesa riverview is far better than fiesta mall.
How can they avoid a vote? Isn’t the gravel pit a county island?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Do you mean that sand and gravel pit? It’s right near Sloan. The Red Mountain 202 at Alma School Road

How can they avoid a vote? Isn’t the gravel pit a county island?
I actually can’t get specifics out of him. He’s tight lipped. The only thing he’s fed me is “Sloan Park Area”. Somewhere between Dobson and Country Club is about the best I can get. I generalize it, because all I know in that area is Sloan Park and Bass Pro shops haha.

I’d assume it’s that parcel of land, but I don’t have anything more than a guess at that point. He isn’t a team official, but hes been absolutely bang on about the arena rumors. He told me a little while back that the team would not be on the Pima reservation and Craig just posted that talks have been quiet. There is chatter of another tribal piece of land they are looking at, but it’s not along the 101.

All I can get as of right now is three potential locations, two in Mesa and one in Scottsdale just west of the 101 and south of Via De Ventura.

I’ll be sure to follow up if I hear more. Again, not a team official, but he’s been more right than wrong. People on these boards have better sources than I do. lol

Reactions: Edenjung

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Just because the league told them they can take their time doesn’t mean they should take all the time they’re given. Let’s get this shit going.

If we can get some positive development arena wise before the season starts… wow what an offseason that would make this, nothing but positive since may 17th (except for galchenyuk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad