Confirmed with Link: All Encompassing Arena Talk: Meruelo focused on winning auction, but now may be looking for buyers (in and out of state)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Craig also mentioned that winning the auction for Meruelo is personal for him. He’s not going to sell without giving it everything he’s got first. He knows as we all do that he’s out if he doesn’t win it

Reactions: AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Why do we have to have this instead of an auction date. Why can’t anything good happen ever?
images.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Mangosteen

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
In lieu of paying more for an expansion?? Latest estimate was that's pushing close to $2 billion.
For a franchise valued at $500 million in Forbes in December, double that amount 4 months later seems like a lot.

I'm not in the running as a buyer, though, so maybe I'm not valuing them correctly.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sens sold for $950m
With an arena.

yes of course.

32 Thoughts Report. Was on a podcast. Friedman

Expansion franchise talk is at about $1.2 Billion + and the prospect pool and draft picks that we have is better than what any expansion team will be able to leverage in an expansion draft.
Last 2 expansion teams will challenge that assertion.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
A handful of games left, then we can be done with all this nonsense.

Hang in there boys, light at the end of the tunnel one way or another.

Doesn’t seem like anyone truly knows what’s going on.

One thing myself and a few others have said here. Dont celebrate until we are in the stadium watching puck drop. AM benefits from this land with or without the Coyotes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sure. Construction cost in 2021 was $246m for Canadian Tire Center. It is an arena in Kanata they intend to vacate so not sure that asset represents a massive amount of the purchase price of the Sens.
It's a place to play that seats 3 times what the Coyotes have presently with no present solid future plans. I have no idea how anyone would suggest the Coyotes should be worth anywhere near any other NHL Team while in AZ presently?? obviously that all changes with an arena deal. And that land in Kanata still has value

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Bill Armstrong was just on Gamo's show. They didn't expand on his initial report at all. Gambo just said they were reporting that and Bill said he builds teams not arenas. I can't listen to any more Suns talk hoping they add anything else.

Reactions: Kaizen

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
How many times over the years has Gambo reported hockey news items correctly? ... I'll wait.

Wasnt he the same guy that proclaimed at the 2008 trade deadline that we landed the big whale, only to learn that we got the lesser tallended Hossa brother?

• Haha

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Because they aren't worth a billion?
Things change pretty quickly. In 2022 the Suns were worth 2.7B then sold for 4B in 2023. There are so many things to consider for the valuation that saying the price is steep is hard to definitively say. Also there are a finite amount of professional teams and billionaires view these things as dick size competitions.

That being said, I assume Meruelo put a high price out for several reasons. One being obvious. You can't negotiate a higher price later but you can definitely come down. Another being what was previous mentioned. If the league wants 1.2B just for an expansion fee this makes an already established franchise a better deal.

My sneaking suspicion is that Meruelo is just doing his due diligence to maximize his return. If he gets an overpay, he'd consider selling. He might get a smaller return but in exchange it's an immediate payment or at the very least a short-term wait. That has a higher financial value as a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. He also gets to skip the financial outlay for the land development and any risk(s).

None of us here, mostly like Forbes as well, are equipped with the information to get an accurate valuation of these sport franchises. Some owners buy with their heart and some buy with their head.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Why bother going through all the auction stuff only to sell now? You sell when you're in a position of strength, unless you absolutely have to. This is total BS click baiting and not even the entertaining kind :laugh: Carry on.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seattle isn’t winning a cup soon. Stuck in the mediocre middle.
They are presently better than the Coyote's and I'm not sure that changes anytime soon?? You sound like the coyote's are a lock to compete and all prospects are gonna hit.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
The best ROI is to sell the Coyotes like I said before. Construction costs have never been higher and scarcity of material will even drive them higher.

Hopefully we find a new buyer who can mend bridges and winning brings fans to Glendale.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They are presently better than the Coyote's and I'm not sure that changes anytime soon?? You sound like the coyote's are a lock to compete and all prospects are gonna hit.
Saying their prospect group is viewed as a top 5 in the league (2nd on THn FW currently) and have a boatload of early pocks for 3 years. There is 8 points separation between AZ and Seattle.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Actual segment…. you can listen to Gambo stutter through the entire thing but he’s coming across like a guy who did all his research on Twitter.

There’s really nothing here that hasn’t been brought up already but it’s still worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad