AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Andrade debuted tonight. Smart pickup, but hopefully they use him right.

There are people who cry that WWE misused everyone who ends up leaving, but that isn't the case. See Dillinge/Spears. Andrade is a guy that WWE underutilized though and he should be a good fit.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Speaking of Vickie, they need to go down that cougar road. Also, not sure why they had her bring Almas out. I think it’s a mistake to pair them. Anyway, a real throwaway episode last night.

Reactions: TD Charlie

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There are people who cry that WWE misused everyone who ends up leaving, but that isn't the case. See Dillinge/Spears. Andrade is a guy that WWE underutilized though and he should be a good fit.

I disagree in part with this, as Spears is still being used better than he was in WWE. The issue in WWE was misusing him in the sense that they didn't really use him at all. He got some run with Cody, in part because they're friends, and they also had a smaller roster. Now he's being used for what he's worth - making others look good. I don't think many people were under some illusion that WWE was sitting on a star and couldn't see it. AEW did try to get him over, couldn't, and stopped, but still have a clear role for him that isn't sitting in catering until Vince needs someone for Baron Corbin to beat up.

I thought it was notable that Andrade comes out and immediately cuts a clear, fluid promo in English, considering he was told - after being called up - that Vince would never push him unless he learned to talk in English.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Decent show. Can't stand that shrieking nut job Guerrero...she literally made Andrade's debut confusing and less impactful. Nobody understood what the hell she was screaming.

Pac is legit. Star in the making. Love him and Fenix who was out hurt.

Same with Jungle Boy. Stud and the future.

Sammy vs MJF is again the future and what AEW needs to be focusing on. Jericho can do promo stuff and ppvs..

Keep pushing these younger cats and don't do what TNA did and brought every ex WCW/WWF name in to take spotlights.

Keep Big Show and Henry the hell out of the ring unless a ppv 1off... Don't go crazy with free agents...bring Joe in and maybe 1-2 others...but continue to focus on your own stars..

AEW has the chance to be something special. Don't f*** it up!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Decent show. Can't stand that shrieking nut job Guerrero...she literally made Andrade's debut confusing and less impactful. Nobody understood what the hell she was screaming.

Pac is legit. Star in the making. Love him and Fenix who was out hurt.

Same with Jungle Boy. Stud and the future.

Sammy vs MJF is again the future and what AEW needs to be focusing on. Jericho can do promo stuff and ppvs..

Keep pushing these younger cats and don't do what TNA did and brought every ex WCW/WWF name in to take spotlights.

Keep Big Show and Henry the hell out of the ring unless a ppv 1off... Don't go crazy with free agents...bring Joe in and maybe 1-2 others...but continue to focus on your own stars..

AEW has the chance to be something special. Don't f*** it up!

I’d love to see a Pac vs Miro feud for the TNT title down the road.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I disagree in part with this, as Spears is still being used better than he was in WWE. The issue in WWE was misusing him in the sense that they didn't really use him at all. He got some run with Cody, in part because they're friends, and they also had a smaller roster. Now he's being used for what he's worth - making others look good. I don't think many people were under some illusion that WWE was sitting on a star and couldn't see it. AEW did try to get him over, couldn't, and stopped, but still have a clear role for him that isn't sitting in catering until Vince needs someone for Baron Corbin to beat up.

I thought it was notable that Andrade comes out and immediately cuts a clear, fluid promo in English, considering he was told - after being called up - that Vince would never push him unless he learned to talk in English.

I don't know that going from Dillinger the scarcely used jobber on a huge roster to Spears the more frequent jobber on a smaller roster is a noteworthy improvement in usage. The guy just isn't particularly good. WWE knew it and I'm confident that AEW does too. Good on him still getting paid though.

Vickie Guerrero is the most shockingly effective heel I can recall. Going from the poor widow of Eddie Guerrero to being regularly booed out of the building in fairly quick fashion was awesome. She's still got it and I'm a fan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know that going from Dillinger the scarcely used jobber on a huge roster to Spears the more frequent jobber on a smaller roster is a noteworthy improvement in usage. The guy just isn't particularly good. WWE knew it and I'm confident that AEW does too. Good on him still getting paid though.

Vickie Guerrero is the most shockingly effective heel I can recall. Going from the poor widow of Eddie Guerrero to being regularly booed out of the building in fairly quick fashion was awesome. She's still got it and I'm a fan.
You also don’t want to give him too much because you don’t want WWE viewers tuning in to see a job guy being prominently featured, unless he happened to be over to that level.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Been a heat magnet for years. Good on her for taking her one catch phrase and beating the shit out of it to get paid.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I thought the job guy who faced Archer was fantastic

I enjoyed that and I have to give credit to AEW for finding entertaining jobbers fairly often. A very small thing but it can perk up a throwaway match here and there.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I enjoyed that and I have to give credit to AEW for finding entertaining jobbers fairly often. A very small thing but it can perk up a throwaway match here and there.

Most importantly, it's giving the "jobber" some exposure. If they can take the appearance on AEW and say "hey, I just wrestled the Bucks a month ago..." and now their travel is fully paid for their next booking, that's huge.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Some random thoughts:
  • As much as I like Uno, I didn’t think the match against Miro was his best showing. I fully expected him to lose of course. Would have been nice if Miro kept beating him post bell, Stu Grayson stepped in which would then set up a match between Grayson and Uno.
  • The next Stadium Stampede should be an iron man version where The Inner Circle and Pinnacle take on Angelico in a handicapped match.
  • Love the Varsity Blondes theme. I’d love to see them go heel though, maybe some sort of frat boy shtick.
  • Speaking of the blondes, Julia Hart was really bad in the ring. Really bad.
  • Say what you will about him, but I love Luther. His screaming is hilarious and I love how he uses his partner to batter opponents.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pac definitely should be contending for a title and this is what I've been talking about. They need to shore up the top belt for sure (I can't even remember who Omega is up against atm) and while I love Evil Uno I think that a Pac feud with Miro would be a better use of that title. Either way he should be getting some sort of shot and not with Orange Cassidy involved either. BTW, loved it a week or so back when Pac did the Young Bucks pose, that was hilarious.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

They're running Dynamite nearby in Newark the week before. I was debating making a trip for that one, but the Queens show might work out better timing wise.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is anyone else surprised that Pac hasn’t had a title run yet?

I thought he would have had one by now

I'd like to see him get it, though I've enjoyed Omega as champion more than I expected to. Not a fan of who he's been put with for the most part, but I have enjoyed his persona. Pac is a guy who impressed me in AEW in terms of being better than expected. I've found most of the big name guys not as good as expected overall. Maybe he would have gotten it by now if not for his covid travel issues.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AEW has had 3 champions and they've been the 3 right champions, so hard to say that I'm surprised Pac hasn't had a title run yet, I wouldn't have expected him to have one. Only one guy can hold the title. He was also away for a large part of the pandemic.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY

They're running Dynamite nearby in Newark the week before. I was debating making a trip for that one, but the Queens show might work out better timing wise.

And, of course, the week after that is the much-delayed Rochester show(which I STILL have a ticket for).

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Why is this Dr. Luther guy in AEW? He's over 50 and not a known name. Is he any good? I just find it odd such an old unknown guy would be in AEW.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Why is this Dr. Luther guy in AEW? He's over 50 and not a known name. Is he any good? I just find it odd such an old unknown guy would be in AEW.

Supposedly a friend of Jericho from way back in the day. I hated him at first, but really have grown to love his gimmick. I like the screaming as well as how he uses his partner Serpentico as a battering ram and then some. Quite comedic and it gets me every time. He's just a Dark guy anyway, so no harm done.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Brodie shoulda been there, just sucks man

Penny to a pound that they find SOME way to honor him in his hometown...even with them doing the Celebration of Life show last December. If that happens, there will not be a dry eye in the house. Book it. (So to speak. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad