AEW All Elite Wrestling #5: Road to Double or Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Speaking of hope spots

lots of good stuff in Jungle Boy v Kenny tonight. Written and executed to perfection. Exhibit A of why a crowd is perhaps the most critical piece in these insane underdog title matches.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I thought Dynamite was a bit of mixed bag on Saturday. Considering the night it fell on I'd have expected a bit more. Some of the matches were Dark Elevation level. Of course you can't have all the top matches ahead of a ppv, but still room for something more there.

Jungle Boy v Omega was fine, but again kind of a weird title picture. I would expect Jungle Boy to be facing Miro before Omega and the champion facing higher card/more established opponents. In fact I think it'd be interesting if Miro destroyed his competition for a good two months or so and then turned his eye to Omega.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Jungle Boy v Omega was fine, but again kind of a weird title picture. I would expect Jungle Boy to be facing Miro before Omega and the champion facing higher card/more established opponents. In fact I think it'd be interesting if Miro destroyed his competition for a good two months or so and then turned his eye to Omega.

This is my problem with mid card titles. What does it mean to be the TNT champion if it doesn't mean that you're the best?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is my problem with mid card titles. What does it mean to be the TNT champion if it doesn't mean that you're the best?

It's true. The intercontinental title in WWF made sense when it used to be sort of an up and coming title for the most part before a guy "graduated" to the main event. Having main event guys slumming with mid card titles never makes sense. AEW hasn't done much with this title, and probably won't, but at least the champions have made sense for the most part.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I never really though of it that way. I think they serve a few potential purposes. One is for up and coming talent as @JackSlater mentioned. Also though, I think it can help facilitate a feud and/or give a guy some spotlight if they’re not in the main title picture.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I never really though of it that way. I think they serve a few potential purposes. One is for up and coming talent as @JackSlater mentioned. Also though, I think it can help facilitate a feud and/or give a guy some spotlight if they’re not in the main title picture.

But kayfabe wise, what does the title mean? It means you're the best at what exactly? For it to be a title for up and coming guys, there should be some kind of restriction on it, like an age limit or something. Or some kind of division that makes sense.

I don't think there is a real sports equivalent to wrestling mid card titles.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
But kayfabe wise, what does the title mean? It means you're the best at what exactly? For it to be a title for up and coming guys, there should be some kind of restriction on it, like an age limit or something. Or some kind of division that makes sense.

I don't think there is a real sports equivalent to wrestling mid card titles.

Well TNT title, which I sort of envision as TV title, is something for me where the guy should be on the main broadcast every week. As for something like "Intercontinental" or "North American", it doesn't mean much. For me it never had to though. I just want to see longer lasting feuds, apart from The Inner Circle vs Pinnacle, and I think titles can help with that to some degree. Also, I think if you've got a Hardcore title or Cruiserweight title it helps to spotlight other guys and gives you more content for X amount of broadcast hours. I think there can definitely be too many titles out there, but I think you need at least 3 men's singles titles, a tag title and a women's title minimum for a promotion the size of AEW and with the talent at it's disposal.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Well TNT title, which I sort of envision as TV title, is something for me where the guy should be on the main broadcast every week. As for something like "Intercontinental" or "North American", it doesn't mean much. For me it never had to though. I just want to see longer lasting feuds, apart from The Inner Circle vs Pinnacle, and I think titles can help with that to some degree. Also, I think if you've got a Hardcore title or Cruiserweight title it helps to spotlight other guys and gives you more content for X amount of broadcast hours. I think there can definitely be too many titles out there, but I think you need at least 3 men's singles titles, a tag title and a women's title minimum for a promotion the size of AEW and with the talent at it's disposal.

With a cruiserweight title, you can say "this title is for people under 205 pounds" so the champion is the best at that weight division. With a hardcore title, you can say "this title can only be contested under hardcore" rules and the champion is the best at hardcore titles.

With just a regular mid card title, it's like "okay you're the champion, so you're the best out of all the guys that aren't good enough for the world title". That's my problem with it but maybe I'm taking it too seriously. There is no division, there is no graduation procedure to the world title. It's a title that's just there because they can't think of non-title storylines.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
With a cruiserweight title, you can say "this title is for people under 205 pounds" so the champion is the best at that weight division. With a hardcore title, you can say "this title can only be contested under hardcore" rules and the champion is the best at hardcore titles.

With just a regular mid card title, it's like "okay you're the champion, so you're the best out of all the guys that aren't good enough for the world title". That's my problem with it but maybe I'm taking it too seriously. There is no division, there is no graduation procedure to the world title. It's a title that's just there because they can't think of non-title storylines.

Agreed.

With the TNT championship being featured on Dynamite most nights it was ok for a while. If they turn it into a "king of AEW Dynamite" type of thing, it makes sense. Especially since their AEW Champion isn't, and hasn't always been featured on Dynamite, which I am totally ok with by the way. If the AEW Championship is the one you gotta pay to see, then the TNT championship is the night in, night out title.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Agreed.

With the TNT championship being featured on Dynamite most nights it was ok for a while. If they turn it into a "king of AEW Dynamite" type of thing, it makes sense. Especially since their AEW Champion isn't, and hasn't always been featured on Dynamite, which I am totally ok with by the way. If the AEW Championship is the one you gotta pay to see, then the TNT championship is the night in, night out title.

Yes I do like the idea of the TNT title but only if it's defended every week. That would differentiate it from their world title.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes I do like the idea of the TNT title but only if it's defended every week. That would differentiate it from their world title.

a title defense every week might be tough, but at the very least do a full segment to establish the next contender or something. Just having it be the spotlight title on TV would make a lot of sense.

Reactions: Megahab

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
AEW doesn’t need another heel team, but I think The Varsity Blondes would be great as a heel team. Have them be some sort of asshole jocks who drink and beat up guys in the back.

With just a regular mid card title, it's like "okay you're the champion, so you're the best out of all the guys that aren't good enough for the world title". That's my problem with it but maybe I'm taking it too seriously. There is no division, there is no graduation procedure to the world title. KIt's a title that's just there because they can't think of non-title storylines.

Right on both counts and why I mentioned them. I think AEW would do well to add a cruiserweight title, not so sure about hardcore though.

That’s what I said and why I think it’s not bad to have more than one.

Agreed.

That’s why I said I envision it as a TV title and it’s how I would use it.

Reactions: Megahab

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
That’s the thing with some of the matches. Guys kicking out of multiple finishing level moves. Sammy is excellent though.

I still think the super kick should be reserved as a finisher. Drives me crazy that it's just a throw a way move now.

The AEW crowds have been awesome since having them back. Really adds to the atmosphere.

Reactions: les Habs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That’s the thing with some of the matches. Guys kicking out of multiple finishing level moves. Sammy is excellent though.

It’s honestly mildly ruining my enjoyment of the product, it doesn’t allow us to suspend disbelief

To me it’s disrespectful to the people who came before them and it makes it harder on the people who come after them. That’s how I view it at least. And I’m not Cornette hating on AEW, I do like them more than WWE. I will watch clips and occasional matches from them and I’ll watch 0 WWE unless I hear something preposterously stupid happened, in which case I’ll check it out for laughs. But boy do I prefer stuff from 20 years ago than I do stuff today. And it’s sad because I think the people today are phenomenal athletes, there’s just very little psychology

I will say this though- the Bucks vs Penta + Kingston match was great and I’m not a huge Young Bucks guy. There were some spots like any match involving these fellas but for the most part it wasn’t overly ridiculous and I loved the finish with Cutler, that’s how comedy in wrestling should be done IMO. The YB are smart to keep putting their matches first

MJF vs Sammy was a spectacle more than a wrestling match. Would like to see MJF put his foot down and not allow for obviously phony BS in his matches because IMO he’s the future of the industry

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Black evidentially doesn't have a no-compete

apparently not!

great show tonight. They needed that one. If anything it might have actually been too much! Crowd was tired for the main event, which was really fun

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Black evidentially doesn't have a no-compete

Apparently Black never signed a WWE contract ( which has a 90 day " non-compete " clause ) and was still on his NXT contract ( which only has a 30 day " non- compete " clause ) when he was released. :dunno:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Best debut I’ve seen in awhile

Make an impact, don’t say a word. Good to hear a live crowd pop like that again.

I'll add to that, establish character

Just a couple round house kicks to two darling babyface characters and off we go! It was a great debut.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Best debut I’ve seen in awhile

Make an impact, don’t say a word. Good to hear a live crowd pop like that again.

Announcers ruined that though a little though. Excaliber couldn't decided which name to use and JR didn't seem like he knew anything. They were better off just not saying anything and waiting til next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad