All Elite Wrestling #1: AEW announced TV deal with TNT, partners with B/R Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Fun tag division shaping up...that's the second biggest takeaway from the event. Obviously the mystery is over with Kenny and all those WWE fantasy booking marks can pound sand.

Reactions: Morozov and Fro

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It’s weird indeed for ROH/NJPW.
Maybe still work with them but don’t mix those promotions? Weird decision.
It would be funny if somehow they start working with All Japan. You'd have a bloc of NJPW, CMLL, RoH, and RevPro, then a bloc of AJPW, AAA, AEW, and TNA.

Obviously NJPW is the best to team with as they've got the cool factor and the talent. But if the consolation prize is Miyahara, have you really lost?

Reactions: Disclose

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Just watched the video...other than them getting a bad night with the cold...well done to promote their big matches...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder if they sign Emma she seems like someone that will get over on a more sport based wrestling enviroment
She’s locked into ROH, but not sure for how long.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The card doesn't even matter to me at this point. They are changing the game and culture of wrestling. That's the biggest impact they can have. The ability to welcome partnerships and working together is so different than WWE. It's game changing as long as nobody gets greedy.

Everyone has to be on the same page and everyone will make money in that regard. But this story has been written before. Someone will get greedy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
First of all, let me say up front that I am excited about AEW.

However, the cynical asshole in me cannot ignore the fact that all the Elite guys have executive positions. They probably also all have retirement contracts. They put themselves in a great position and I admire them for that, but I cannot help but wonder if they found a mark to make sure they are financially set for the rest of their lives.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
First of all, let me say up front that I am excited about AEW.

However, the cynical ******* in me cannot ignore the fact that all the Elite guys have executive positions. They probably also all have retirement contracts. They put themselves in a great position and I admire them for that, but I cannot help but wonder if they found a mark to make sure they are financially set for the rest of their lives.

If they turn this into a success, why shouldn’t they be set? How is that different from any other company? If this fails, they won’t have anything.

As long as they don’t overbook themselves, it’s fine.

But it’ll be hard for them to overbook themselves. Bucks are a championship caliber tag team and Omega should probably be their first champion. Even Cody you could argue could have a World Championship reign.

Reactions: TimeZone

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If they turn this into a success, why shouldn’t they be set? How is that different from any other company? If this fails, they won’t have anything.

As long as they don’t overbook themselves, it’s fine.

But it’ll be hard for them to overbook themselves. Bucks are a championship caliber tag team and Omega should probably be their first champion. Even Cody you could argue could have a World Championship reign.

If they turn it into a success, they definitely deserve to be set. My fear is that with their contracts they are set NOW!

As I said, it is just me being overly cynical.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If they turn it into a success, they definitely deserve to be set. My fear is that with their contracts they are set NOW!

As I said, it is just me being overly cynical.

I’m pretty certain the Khan’s didn’t overextend. They are giving The Elite the funds to make this work, but I doubt they gave them foolish contracts off the start

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kenny Omega’s contract is 4 years and can work NJPW any time he wants. Made it fairly clear that NJPW was third place in these negotiations and he’s also an executive Vice President and also bringing some of these women over from Japan.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Kenny Omega’s contract is 4 years and can work NJPW any time he wants. Made it fairly clear that NJPW was third place in these negotiations and he’s also an executive Vice President and also bringing some of these women over from Japan.

Interesting. So we may see a surprise appearance from Kenny in New Japan in the near future? They never "wrote him off" after he lost. He gave that promo about going away but he's not officially gone like Kushida. Makes you wonder about the MSG show also...does he have a potential dance partner?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It didn’t sound like he intends on working before double or nothing.

As far as WWE goes he said he actually found appeal in having everything written for him as it would be less mentally exhausting.

Oct 18, 2011
I know they're working on a Tv deal but is a weekly show a good idea? What about 1 show per month then it gives you a chance to anticipate the product? I don't really want NJPW how do they do it?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I know they're working on a Tv deal but is a weekly show a good idea? What about 1 show per month then it gives you a chance to anticipate the product? I don't really want NJPW how do they do it?
NJPW doesn't have TV.

But yes, when you are working on getting a weekly TV on a non-minor channel (of which there are multiple interested channels), you indeed do want a weekly TV show.

Reactions: TimeZone

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Interesting. So we may see a surprise appearance from Kenny in New Japan in the near future? They never "wrote him off" after he lost. He gave that promo about going away but he's not officially gone like Kushida. Makes you wonder about the MSG show also...does he have a potential dance partner?

New Japan removed all of the AEW guys and KUSHIDA's profiles from their site but left Jericho and Omega this morning, so there was speculation that Kenny's deal was similar to Jericho's.

Also seems like NJPW also isn't too happy with Beretta as they that thought he told them in good faith he was staying.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They wanted to push him that’s why.

NJPW is really not in a good spot to expand anymore. As far as big gaijin stars they’ve got Jay White, Juice, and Ospreay. I guess Marty Scurll too through ROH. But it really feels like they missed their mark if they were trying to score big in North America.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fun tag division shaping up...that's the second biggest takeaway from the event. Obviously the mystery is over with Kenny and all those WWE fantasy booking marks can pound sand.

They want to build the best tag division.

If you’re The Revival, or the Good Bros, heck, even The Uso’s, how can you look away from a company that can offer as much or better contracts, and actually give a shit about the tag division.

I’m not saying the Good Bros or Usos will leave the WWE, but it’s probably an intriguing option for them

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
The good brothers will leave. I’m sure.
They’ve filed recently for tons of trademarks, they don’t do anything in wwe and have good friends at AEW.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I don't watch any non-WWE wrestling but will definitely give AEW a chance. I only found out about Omega a year or so ago and looked up YouTube videos of some promos/segments and he is amazing.

I'm afraid Cody, Omega, and the Young Bucks might get hated on a bit if they're all main eventing so much in a company they have so much influence on. Like Triple H in the 2000s.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't watch any non-WWE wrestling but will definitely give AEW a chance. I only found out about Omega a year or so ago and looked up YouTube videos of some promos/segments and he is amazing.

I'm afraid Cody, Omega, and the Young Bucks might get hated on a bit if they're all main eventing so much in a company they have so much influence on. Like Triple H in the 2000s.

I think it might be literally impossible to turn what would be an AEW fan against Omega and the Bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad