Confirmed with Link: All contracts settled. Buyout window open for 48 hrs

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't really see the point. Could just as easily eat the $50k and bury him in the minors.

Unless they need that extra $600k to build the new arena. If so, then **** that guy.
Stranger things have happened and a budget is a budget.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't have any problem with this contract. Hathaway is young and provides grit, no reason to complain about him making maybe 100k more than he would have in arbitration. Add me as well to the list of folks that believes he likely has some more upside.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
just throwing this out there... I think Lazar is young enough for a 1/3 buyout

I'd rather we trade Frolik TBH if Brouwer buyout isn't enough cap space. I don't think Frolik in the bottom 6 is good asset management. We're better off trading him for cap and assets and giving the kids an opportunity to survive. I'm sure someone would be happy with Frolik in their middle 6. Our roster would be ok with farm hands on the roster with the experience and talent of guys like Ryan, Janko, Bennett, Czarnik etc. in the bottom 6 insulating them. Brouwer and Frolik would be overkill in terms of veteran presence in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Cyrano

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd rather we trade Frolik TBH if Brouwer buyout isn't enough cap space. I don't think Frolik in the bottom 6 is good asset management. We're better off trading him for cap and assets and giving the kids an opportunity to survive. I'm sure someone would be happy with Frolik in their middle 6. Our roster would be ok with farm hands on the roster with the experience and talent of guys like Ryan, Janko, Bennett, Czarnik etc. in the bottom 6 insulating them. Brouwer and Frolik would be overkill in terms of veteran presence in the bottom 6.

If one of Dube/Mangiapane/Foo forces their way onto the roster sure. But right now, it's excellent asset management. This team failed on depth last year, so why are we moving depth now?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Having Frolik on your third line is such rich blood. And something I appreciate.
He'll score 30-40, give you elite defence, and PK.

My issue with relying on guys like Ryan, Janko, Benny and Czarnik as being 'okay' reminds me a lot of the last decade, where we seem to think random guys and kids can take major roles for this team... and we've had some of the worst bottom 6's in the league over that period of time.

A third line of: Benny - Ryan - Frolik is great. You have a potentially 100 point third line with more upside.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
#Lazarwatch

I know what your motivations for posting this are. But, don't you even find buying out Curtis Lazar a silly idea?

I just don't see the value in doing something like this? The guy's still RFA after next season, so you have some contract flexibility there. His contract is sub 1M. You can bury most of his contract in the minors. IF someone claims him when you try sneaking him down, you lose his contract without giving up cap space anyway?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know what your motivations for posting this are. But, don't you even find buying out Curtis Lazar a silly idea?

I just don't see the value in doing something like this? The guy's still RFA after next season, so you have some contract flexibility there. His contract is sub 1M. You can bury most of his contract in the minors. IF someone claims him when you try sneaking him down, you lose his contract without giving up cap space anyway?

Sidenote: Doesn't a player always need to pass through waivers as the first step in a buyout?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So if a team were to claim the player, say Lazar in this case. Does that nullify the buyout and then the player is transferred just like a normal waiver claim?

From CapFriendly:

Waivers
A player can only be bought out after clearing unconditional waivers. A waiver-claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player can reject the option of waivers and proceed to the buyout process.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

My motivations? I literally stated it was just a gut feeling in another thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad