Speculation: All Coaching Talk - Part 2

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Wouldn't be surprised if Namestnikov finds himself healthy scratched or on a 4th line. Unless he catches fire next season.

I really want to see him reunited with Steven and Nikita

Remember bolts@leafs when we won 7-3? I was there. That line was FIRE.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really want to see him reunited with Steven and Nikita

Remember bolts@leafs when we won 7-3? I was there. That line was FIRE.

Vladdy does not have the credentials like Drouin of course but he has been treated similar with the whole "Coop's Dog House" treatment. He'll be on the top line, they will look great, but then one bad game, he will be back in the bottom 6. But again, Vladdy's ceiling is maybe a middle six forward, but with Cooper don't think he will meet the higher potential of that. With the cap hit he has, that is fine I guess.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Vladdy does not have the credentials like Drouin of course but he has been treated similar with the whole "Coop's Dog House" treatment. He'll be on the top line, they will look great, but then one bad game, he will be back in the bottom 6. But again, Vladdy's ceiling is maybe a middle six forward, but with Cooper don't think he will meet the higher potential of that. With the cap hit he has, that is fine I guess.

Yeah. :shakehead

I think he just hates former first-rounders.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This will seriously be poetic if Cooper gets fired this year, just like missing the playoffs by 1 point last year because "it's still early in the season, these losses don't matter".

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The difference is Vladdy's rarely shown glimpses that he's going to be anything more than he is now. He will occasionally put up points, but he's not a guy you see creating plays for himself and his teammates, so his points tend to be the ones that just about anybody in the NHL could produce in the same spot.

And then there's the whole playoff argument. He's what? 24 now? And I'm still seeing no sign he's ever going to be physically ready for the playoffs.

I'm willing to blame Cooper for a lot of our problems, but I don't think the way he's handled Vladdy is one of them. Vladdy's main issues are he doesn't have the strength to compete in the playoffs, and he has tunnel vision. Coop can't fix that.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah - I don't think Vladdy has been mishandled. I just don't think he has the toolbox to be more than a supplemental, easily replaceable player. He gets tunnel vision and has the knack of being in the wrong place constantly, especially in the offensive zone.

But - I still think he can be an effective defensive forward. He's never going to be Patrice Bergeron, but he's quick, and if he improves his faceoffs I wouldn't mind seeing him as a shutdown guy. But he's not there yet and i don't know if it's sunk in for him yet that he needs to retool his game.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah - I don't think Vladdy has been mishandled. I just don't think he has the toolbox to be more than a supplemental, easily replaceable player. He gets tunnel vision and has the knack of being in the wrong place constantly, especially in the offensive zone.

But - I still think he can be an effective defensive forward. He's never going to be Patrice Bergeron, but he's quick, and if he improves his faceoffs I wouldn't mind seeing him as a shutdown guy. But he's not there yet and i don't know if it's sunk in for him yet that he needs to retool his game.

I dunno. I mean what's the biggest knock against him? Scoring. He was shuffled up and down the lineup all season. No consistant linemates, no chance to develop chemistry. His offensive side might break out once he settles on a line he's comfortable on.

His offense aside everything else in his game is pretty good. Possession numbers and other advanced stats have him almost always in our top-5. Let's give him one more season to show what he's got. He looked pretty good in the World Championship. He should be a great 3rd liner on his own or a solid complementary top-6 player. Not the one carrying the line like a Marty or Vinny but think a Prospal for example (in regards to offensive potential, defensively he has Prospal beat already).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dunno. I mean what's the biggest knock against him? Scoring. He was shuffled up and down the lineup all season. No consistant linemates, no chance to develop chemistry. His offensive side might break out once he settles on a line he's comfortable on.

His offense aside everything else in his game is pretty good. Possession numbers and other advanced stats have him almost always in our top-5. Let's give him one more season to show what he's got. He looked pretty good in the World Championship. He should be a great 3rd liner on his own or a solid complementary top-6 player. Not the one carrying the line like a Marty or Vinny but think a Prospal for example (in regards to offensive potential, defensively he has Prospal beat already).

Production aside, he just seems to have red flag after red flag in the O zone. Pretty much any time you see somebody not make the obvious play, it's Vladdy. His physical skillset is that of a top-6 guy, but he doesn't seem to process the game in the way other top-6 guys do.

I like him as a 3rd liner. Or even just a fringe player who can put up a few points. But I think the ship has sailed on him becoming a whole lot more than that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
They should just remove the rule and punish officials that routinely miss calls.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
At this point Coops firing is inevitable. This lineup is garbage from a chemistry and consistency stand point. If we manage to lose less than 32 games I will be shocked. God forbid Kucherov or Stamkos get hurt before New Years when Palat wakes up or Johnson is inevitably hampered by an injury.

We are going to need at least a dozen Vezina caliber nights from Vasy this year because long story short: Coop is ****ed unless we get an offensive redux of 2014

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
At this point Coops firing is inevitable. This lineup is garbage from a chemistry and consistency stand point. If we manage to lose less than 32 games I will be shocked. God forbid Kucherov or Stamkos get hurt before New Years when Palat wakes up or Johnson is inevitably hampered by an injury.

We are going to need at least a dozen Vezina caliber nights from Vasy this year because long story short: Coop is ****ed unless we get an offensive redux of 2014

I can't even tell if you're bashing Cooper or Yzerman with this post. You start off saying Coopers firing is inevitable, presumably because you don't like his coaching, then follow it up with how the lineup is garbage.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't even tell if you're bashing Cooper or Yzerman with this post. You start off saying Coopers firing is inevitable, presumably because you don't like his coaching, then follow it up with how the lineup is garbage.

Its on Yzerman for not doing more to fix the glaring problems of the lineup. There are so many handicaps in the lineup. I have gone through it a thousand times in Coops defense. I have hijacked this thread enough times to where everyone knows what I think.

I dont see how Coop can win big with this lineup. It is vastly talented but painfully inconsistent and prone to injury and it is going to lead to horrendous scoring issues

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL

Cooper is in trouble. I wonder how much weight he had behind these signings. He seems to love these slow over the hill vets at the expense of the younger players. Cooper was at his best when he utilized the younger players earlier years, but a lot of that was likely due to cuse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its on Yzerman for not doing more to fix the glaring problems of the lineup. There are so many handicaps in the lineup. I have gone through it a thousand times in Coops defense. I have hijacked this thread enough times to where everyone knows what I think.

I dont see how Coop can win big with this lineup. It is vastly talented but painfully inconsistent and prone to injury and it is going to lead to horrendous scoring issues

Coop could solve at least part of that issue himself by not sitting some of our most gifted offensive talents in the pressbox night after night. These signings, if anything, are meant to appease Cooper. These are Cooper-type players.

The thing that's on Yzerman is sticking with Cooper, sink or swim. Because Cooper doesn't realize what he has, talent-wise, when he's looking at it. It causes problems.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman.

Can certainly go the distance. I think it's completely fair to be upset that Yzerman chose not to improve the lineup, he's clearly chosen this year as a regroup year and we may not agree with that. Having said that, the lineup isn't too different from the one that played in the SCF. The biggest loss compared to that group was Garrison playing like a 2/3 defender at the time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is probably the first year I'm really worried about our offense kucherov and stamkos are going to have to do it all! Unless johnson and palat can bounce back to 2015 ðŸ‘Â

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Coop could solve at least part of that issue himself by not sitting some of our most gifted offensive talents in the pressbox night after night. These signings, if anything, are meant to appease Cooper. These are Cooper-type players.

The thing that's on Yzerman is sticking with Cooper, sink or swim. Because Cooper doesn't realize what he has, talent-wise, when he's looking at it. It causes problems.

When are you gonna move on from this argument. Yes, that was the case in 2015-16 with Drouin. It wasn't last year, and he even went as far as to play a rookie with no American League time. He had a problem and corrected it. He's learned to trust younger guys more and more. I think Point is a good indicator he's learned from the Drouin situation the previous year.

These two way guys are Yzerman players, make no mistake. Did you listen to his end of the year interviews? It's all about that defense. Gotta have everyone able to play hard D.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Hell, the way Cooper sheltered Kucherov in his first year was praised by guys like Sky

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Like it or not, two way is what wins and goes far in the NHL now days. That doesn't mean that you ignore offense. Our cup final year we lead the league in goals. We scored 259 goals and only allowed 205. This year we scored 230 but allowed 224. Overall our team wasn't playing good two way hockey like Cooper wants. When Coops team plays like he wants them to they win. Granted we missed Stamkos. Add Stamkos and we are looking at closer to what we scored in the Cup year. Also we likely would have made the playoffs and I think our team would have gone far because at the end of the year we were playing good two way hockey. Our D looked worlds better. Vasi was playing well. And we were getting goals across our lineup. If we can carry that onto this season we should be fine.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Kucherov, Stamkos, Hedman.

Can certainly go the distance. I think it's completely fair to be upset that Yzerman chose not to improve the lineup, he's clearly chosen this year as a regroup year and we may not agree with that. Having said that, the lineup isn't too different from the one that played in the SCF. The biggest loss compared to that group was Garrison playing like a 2/3 defender at the time.

I want to agree but I'm not sure. Regroup? WTF is that? And why? Hockey windows in the cap era are short unless you are LA/Pitt/Chi. Our window is closing if I had to say it honestly. Regroup? I don't get that. It's win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad