Speculation: All Coaching Talk - Part 2

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
"no adjustments" golden boy is 1 win away from back to back cups.

Must be nice to have so much talent. Meanwhile it never occurs to anyone that the Lightning MIGHT have poor players on it. No blame the coach! Let's not question the roster at all. We have shaky goaltending, Kucherov scoring all our goals, Hedman and this year Stamkos follows up his injury woes with a concussion!!

BUT WHY AREN'T WE CHAMPIONS DAMMIT????!!!

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Fire Jon Cooper or not? - Part 2

Must be nice to have so much talent. Meanwhile it never occurs to anyone that the Lightning MIGHT have poor players on it. No blame the coach! Let's not question the roster at all. We have shaky goaltending, Kucherov scoring all our goals, Hedman and this year Stamkos follows up his injury woes with a concussion!!

I mean, I'm pretty positive that we questioned the roster like all season? Don't let that interfere with your crusade, though.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I mean, I'm pretty positive that we questioned the roster like all season? Don't let that interfere with your crusade, though.

Honestly my biggest concern for next year is our bottom six. It's been a problem for the past couple of years. We can't expect Kucherov to go into Russian God mode and pick up their slack as well. We need secondary scoring.

In hindsight that's probably why were so high on Gourde. Because he does exactly that on a team so desperate for it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Honestly my biggest concern for next year is our bottom six. It's been a problem for the past couple of years. We can't expect Kucherov to go into Russian God mode and pick up their slack as well. We need secondary scoring.

In hindsight that's probably why were so high on Gourde. Because he does exactly that on a team so desperate for it.
Yzerman has to draft from within and develop the bottom six Stop signing condras

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Talent? They're arguably less talented than the Lightning, again a defense headlined by Justin Schultz just won the cup. Kucherov is on par with Malkin now a days, we don't have a Crosby but they don't have a Hedman.

and I mean since Vasi is apparently the best young goalie in the world so he should be able to match Murray right?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Talent? They're arguably less talented than the Lightning, again a defense headlined by Justin Schultz just won the cup. Kucherov is on par with Malkin now a days, we don't have a Crosby but they don't have a Hedman.

and I mean since Vasi is apparently the best young goalie in the world so he should be able to match Murray right?

I don't know about less talented than the Lightning. You talk about Kucherov, Hedman, and Vasi sure the Lightning hold their own in talent vs the Pens. Where it gets unbalanced is in our 3rd and 4th lines. They are deeper in scoring. It wasn't just Crosby, Malkin, Kessel doing the scoring. It was Guentzel, Sheary, Hornqvist, Rust, Kunitz, and Bonnino picking up the slack. Our team is talented but we lack secondary scoring that the Pens have. After our big guys we have Point, Killorn ( who everyone wants to get rid of due to contract), Callahan (who is recently hurt and doesn't live up to contract), Namestnikov (who isn't good or clutch offensively), JT brown, and then recently found Gourde. Really our team only goes if our top players go. Which was the way the Pens were for years before they found a supporting cast. We lack a supporting cast. Until we get one we will be in the same ship.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Shouldn't we give Cooper credit on how he handled Point btw?

I think it comes down to what TB is looking for in their players. Whether you agree with them or not, they are looking for players who are yes gifted offensively but defensively responsible. Point showed he can do that. His intelligence on both ends of the ice and his own net in the back of his mind gave him the ice time he deserved. Drouin while offensively gifted, was not thinking about his own net. Kucherov was like that when he first got here but he got better. Also fit very well on the line with Palat and Johnson who were two way players.

I think Drouin had a place on this team but a few things led to his departure. Obviously the fact that he wasn't two way but I think they would have let that slip if a few other things didn't happen. The first being his immaturity in walking away when he wasn't happy. SY and Cooper don't have time for that they are trying to win a cup. Second being his contract extension came at a poor time. I also think he wanted term which we weren't really able to give him. I think SY wanted to give him what they gave TJ and Palat for their bridge deals. He did after all have one season that was really worth a damn.

Point came in here already looking like he had learned the way we want to play and kind of like a veteran. I was thoroughly impressed with the way he was handling certain situations that very few players in their first year of NHL make. He was rewarded for that. Rightfully so.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Love it how people are switching their stance on Point ... like 90% of this board wanted him back in Syracuse.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Love it how people are switching their stance on Point ... like 90% of this board wanted him back in Syracuse.

Because early in the season he wasn't productive at all. He came back from injury and played much better.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I knew Point would bounce back, so good but so snakebitten early on.

As for Cooper, the Drouin trade to me means he will stay. Which sucks.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I voted "keep him up" back when. He was pretty solid except he couldn't finish at the time.

Which everyone agreed with. The discussion was centered on "let him learn to finish in the AHL/learn to drive a line" or "keep him up." Werewolf and a few others are completely misrepresenting the basis of the discussion, as normally happens around here with any disagreement.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now Drouin has gone, there is space in the Cooper dog house. Who will get a home there?

Wouldn't be surprised if Namestnikov finds himself healthy scratched or on a 4th line. Unless he catches fire next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad