Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade/ Rumours/2018/part II- Stay on topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
After Tampa handily beat us in the PO's, they went out and improved their team.

After Toronto lost to us in a coin flip game 7, they went out and improved their team.

I think its fair to pump the tires of teams making the moves necessary to get to the next level.

The Leafs traded JVR and Bozak for Tavares. Improved yes.

Tampa is the same. Favorites in the division.

The Bruins for some reason aren't allowed to improve from within? Heinen was very good on the 3rd line, he will be better than Rick on line 2. Riley Nash? Did great on the first line, which isn't saying much. Donato looked phenomenal in his short stint. We don't even know if this is the team they start the season with.

Many on this board must have been real easy opponents in sports or whatever because they are so "intimidated" by the lightning and leafs. Play the games and see what happens.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Karlsson is 28, but McAvoy is 20. Like you said, 3-4 more good years of Karlsson. McAvoy has another good 10-12 years, all of which is untapped upward potential. Our window doesn't need to end with Bergeron, Krejci and Rask. There is a lot more FA and drafting that will happen within those years that could easily give us a contending team without Bergeron, Rask and Krejci. We would be selling for a short term window that is entirely made up.

Fair points...a couple of counters, however.

First, as you say there is a lot more drafting and FA that will happen in those years. Why not use those opportunities to replace the McAvoy/Karlsson spot -- rather than Bergeron, Krejci, Rask and possibly Marchand?

Second, I said that EK has another 3-4 more "highly productive" years. I also think the 3-4 after that (ages 31-35 ish) can also be very good. So it's really another 6-8 years of production.

To me, the team as currently constituted, is almost at the "Just add water" stage.

To me Karlsson is the water.

(along with maybe one more veteran top 6-9 winger)

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

The Bruins for some reason aren't allowed to improve from within? Heinen was very good on the 3rd line, he will be better than Rick on line 2. Riley Nash? Did great on the first line, which isn't saying much. Donato looked phenomenal in his short stint. We don't even know if this is the team they start the season with.

Many on this board must have been real easy opponents in sports or whatever because they are so "intimidated" by the lightning and leafs. Play the games and see what happens.

I don't think anyone is conceding the season, but every team can say their young guys are going to get better. Hyman/Matthews/Marner/Kappanen (Sp?)/ Dermott etc are probably going to be better if we assume the Bruins players are.

Same with Pointe/Gourde/Sergachev etc.

Toronto has that, and added another #1 center. Tampa made good acquisitions at last years trade deadline, and still have both players to show for the assets they gave up. They are now going to get a full season out of both. Bad break about Rick Nash, but it is what it is.

Could Duchene work though? His cap is $6M AAV and I don’t see Backes agreeing to go the other way.

Backes going the other way makes sense because Ottawa takes the cap hit, but doesn't pay out that much in real money. No way is it a 1 for 1, but I see them taking him back without any issue in whatever package we would offer.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
They would but Ottawa can't completely tank, they have to try as hard as they can to avoid giving the first overall pick next year and Jack Hughes to Colorado
I’d say that ship has sailed already.

They win 20 games this year with all the nonsense going on around them it’d be a borderline miracle

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm I one of the few that thinks EK to TBL would eventually hurt them? I mean Steve would have to pull off some serious cap dumps to keep EK long term and they'd need a lot of cheap ELC deals to keep things competitive.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'd seriously consider trading McAvoy for him.

I'm not saying that if I were GM, I'd have the guts to pull the trigger, but here is my reasoning:

1. Karlsson is now, what we "HOPE" McAvoy will be in 2-5 years. Now, not discounting anything Charlie has done thus far, but he's pretty far from what Karlsson is right now. He may get there soon -- may get there in 4 years or may never get there.

By simply switching out McAvoy for EK, it makes the Bruins stronger today, and IMO during the precious window of Bergy, Krejci and Rask's prime. Possibly even Marchand as well.
McAvoy, if he ever gets there, is likely to be what EK is, after those player are on the decline. With Karlsson, they are right in the mix with TB as conference favorites. Without him, they aren't, IMO.

2. Karlsson just turned 28 -- he's going to be highly productive for a good 3-4 more years, and likely still very productive for another 3-4 after that. That is plenty of time to find, draft and develop the next guy (McAvoy's replacement, ostensibly).

3. By keeping him away from TB, you clearly keep the Bruins at their level. By allowing him to go there, you allow them the chance to dominate the conference for 3-5 years.

I know that a lot here will summarily discount this suggestion, but IMO, any GM that doesn't at least consider it, isn't doing his job, IMO.

I would do a deal centered around those two players, depending on the additional pieces.

Maybe: McAvoy, a 2nd and one prospect/young player, not named DeBrusk, Donato, Bjork or Heinen.

But is McAvoy really that far from where Karlsson is right now? I would argue he is not. Considering McAvoy was a rookie, he actually compares well with Karlsson. Let's take a look at last season, one in which McAvoy played with a couple health issues, as did Karlsson.

McAvoy's shot pct was double Karlsson's. McAvoy's hits per game are about 2.5x that of Karlsson. Karlsson scored .87 pts per game vs McAvoy .51, but you have to factor in Karlsson getting more minutes and more PP time than McAvoy. Karlsson had 9 goals in 71 games, while McAvoy had 7 goals in 63 games. Their defensive vs offensive zone starts were similar. McAvoy beats Karlsson in an array of advanced stats. McAvoy plays with more of an edge than Karlsson, is faster, and of course younger and much cheaper. And as mentioned before, all of that having only played one season. These kind of players don't grow on trees. You simply do not trade a player such as McAvoy.

One last thing about Karlsson. I understand he is in his prime age wise, but he has a lot of mileage on his body, and has spent the last two seasons playing through all sorts of stuff. No way would I give him massive money for 7 years when there is some legit doubt about how much longer he can play at a HOF level. I'm by no means saying he's done, but I'd stay far away from trading a talent such as McAvoy, followed by giving a massive contract, to a player who has likely already peaked and may not be able to maintain that peak performance for too many more years.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm I one of the few that thinks EK to TBL would eventually hurt them? I mean Steve would have to pull off some serious cap dumps to keep EK long term and they'd need a lot of cheap ELC deals to keep things competitive.

If they get into cap trouble, they can just pawn off one of their superstars for a huge return of picks and prospects to create cap space. Having too many good players is a good problem, not a bad one.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I just assumed they didn't play sports since they couldn't guarantee they would win.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Same
If I was Ott I would be trying to move EK to Colorado to get my first back and then some.
Ya same. Hell send Stone with him for a hamburger/fry combo if you have to.

There’s no saving the season they’re about to have. After 15 games the players left will be going they the motions until April

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If they get into cap trouble, they can just pawn off one of their superstars for a huge return of picks and prospects to create cap space. Having too many good players is a good problem, not a bad one.

Oh sure you could, but are you making your team better? Whose to say that teams won't offer lesser packages because they know you're in cap trouble?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
But is McAvoy really that far from where Karlsson is right now? I would argue he is not. Considering McAvoy was a rookie, he actually compares well with Karlsson. Let's take a look at last season, one in which McAvoy played with a couple health issues, as did Karlsson.

McAvoy's shot pct was double Karlsson's. McAvoy's hits per game are about 2.5x that of Karlsson. Karlsson scored .87 pts per game vs McAvoy .51, but you have to factor in Karlsson getting more minutes and more PP time than McAvoy. Karlsson had 9 goals in 71 games, while McAvoy had 7 goals in 63 games. Their defensive vs offensive zone starts were similar. McAvoy beats Karlsson in an array of advanced stats. McAvoy plays with more of an edge than Karlsson, is faster, and of course younger and much cheaper. And as mentioned before, all of that having only played one season. These kind of players don't grow on trees. You simply do not trade a player such as McAvoy.

One last thing about Karlsson. I understand he is in his prime age wise, but he has a lot of mileage on his body, and has spent the last two seasons playing through all sorts of stuff. No way would I give him massive money for 7 years when there is some legit doubt about how much longer he can play at a HOF level. I'm by no means saying he's done, but I'd stay far away from trading a talent such as McAvoy, followed by giving a massive contract, to a player who has likely already peaked and may not be able to maintain that peak performance for too many more years.

Absolutely fair and good points.

Maybe I'm under rating CM a bit.

Given the above, would you move Carlo instead, but with better secondary pieces?

Carlo, Bjork or Donato, a secondary prospect and a 2nd?

If they were able to keep CM and add Karlsson, I'd think people would be less concerned about EK's mileage, if McAvoy was still around?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Given the above, would you move Carlo instead, but with better secondary pieces?

If they were able to keep CM and add Karlsson, I'd think people would be less concerned about EK's mileage, if McAvoy was still around?
I'd do that easily. And I am a card carrying member of the Carlo fan club. I'd still be worried as hell about that cap hit for so long, but sometimes you have to roll the dice. Karlsson with McAvoy and the current core would be nasty for other teams to deal with and give the Bs a legit Cup chance for at least three seasons. I doubt Ottawa would do that though.

Reactions: sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Would say Carlo, Bjork, Donato, Zboril plus is what they would want. Would need to clear money though. Backes would need to go, still short cap room for EK and his 10/11 mil. EK to me, unlike Tavares is a declining asset. Foot trouble scares me on fast guys.

Jim Turcotte

Feb 1, 2018
I like Duchene. I also like Nugent-Hopkins. Both seem destined to be wearing different jerseys eventually and would make good successors to Krejci.
I like the idea of adding Nugget-Hopkins as our 3c. Is there a trade to be made with the Oilers.

Reactions: Strafer

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think as a whole we underestimate how good McAvoy is already... but Karlsson is virtually a one man show. Can’t think of anyone since Bourque whose entire team relies on him so much. To pull out some stats that show McAvoy is on the same planet is awesome, but Karlsson ain’t getting nearly the help.

Reactions: sarge88

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The biggest fear of those with wealth/power is losing it.

We are seeing a similar effect on these boards, I think.

Last October on paper we had a team with a lot of holes to be filled by kids. Same as this year.
Most figured we would be lucky to make the playoffs. But we overachieved with those kids playing a big part of that(depth wins games, not just one super line.)

We are in the EXACT same spot now that we were last year at this time, only now we KNOW that the kids can play.

So why the negativity? We had nothing to lose last summer, now there is an expectation to be cup contenders.
Maybe the cure for those stressing out over Tor/TB is just adjusting the expectations?

We are team split evenly between youth and veteran players that are not the best in the east.

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb...err....team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'd seriously consider trading McAvoy for him.

I'm not saying that if I were GM, I'd have the guts to pull the trigger, but here is my reasoning:

1. Karlsson is now, what we "HOPE" McAvoy will be in 2-5 years. Now, not discounting anything Charlie has done thus far, but he's pretty far from what Karlsson is right now. He may get there soon -- may get there in 4 years or may never get there.

By simply switching out McAvoy for EK, it makes the Bruins stronger today, and IMO during the precious window of Bergy, Krejci and Rask's prime. Possibly even Marchand as well.
McAvoy, if he ever gets there, is likely to be what EK is, after those player are on the decline. With Karlsson, they are right in the mix with TB as conference favorites. Without him, they aren't, IMO.

2. Karlsson just turned 28 -- he's going to be highly productive for a good 3-4 more years, and likely still very productive for another 3-4 after that. That is plenty of time to find, draft and develop the next guy (McAvoy's replacement, ostensibly).

3. By keeping him away from TB, you clearly keep the Bruins at their level. By allowing him to go there, you allow them the chance to dominate the conference for 3-5 years.

I know that a lot here will summarily discount this suggestion, but IMO, any GM that doesn't at least consider it, isn't doing his job, IMO.

I would do a deal centered around those two players, depending on the additional pieces.

Maybe: McAvoy, a 2nd and one prospect/young player, not named DeBrusk, Donato, Bjork or Heinen.

Paul coffey at 34 became half the player he was in his prime.

Brian leetch had the wheels fall off at 33

Phil housely wasnt much of an impact after 32

These dmen who rely on skating to be effective and were never great in their own zone have a shorter best before shelf life.

A team that has to resign karlsson next year when he is 29 will be paying him until he is 37... almost 38

It could easily become one of the 10 worst contracts in the league for 3-4 seasons

I mean we had bobby orr here... weve seen the best skating dman in nhl history fall apart to an injury. Karlsson has already seen foot problems slow him down for 1/2 a season

If we can add him at a reasonable cost... you roll the dice and hope you win in the next 3 years with him...

But no way you can trade mcavoy for him. No core pieces

My best offer...
1 of krug or carlo
1 of heinen or donato of prospect forwards
1 of the kid dmen not currently in nhl
a first round pick now

And a future pick if we win a cup or he wins a norris

We would need a 1-2 punch of karlsson/mcavoy to make this gamble worthwhile for us... and need mcavoy around maturing to take over in 4-5 years as karlsson loses his step so we can compete then too

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't think anyone is conceding the season, but every team can say their young guys are going to get better. Hyman/Matthews/Marner/Kappanen (Sp?)/ Dermott etc are probably going to be better if we assume the Bruins players are.

Same with Pointe/Gourde/Sergachev etc.

Toronto has that, and added another #1 center. Tampa made good acquisitions at last years trade deadline, and still have both players to show for the assets they gave up. They are now going to get a full season out of both. Bad break about Rick Nash, but it is what it is.

Backes going the other way makes sense because Ottawa takes the cap hit, but doesn't pay out that much in real money. No way is it a 1 for 1, but I see them taking him back without any issue in whatever package we would offer.

If Backes waives his NTC why would he waive it to go to Ottawa? The Senators and the way they are being run is the reason players have NTC's and NMC's put in their contracts. While I can see Backes waiving if asked not for Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad