Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Carlo is available, Sweeney should not solely focus on Colorado as a potential trade partner. He should instead see what other teams offer for Carlo. I've said this earlier in this thread that apart from Shattenkirk, who may or may not be available for trade, Carlo could arguably be the best defenseman available on the trade market given what he has proven thus far: playing 20+ minutes a night on the Bruins top-pairing and still on his ELC.

There are still a lot of teams looking for a defenseman, a RHD in fact. I think it would be a tad foolhardy to not explore other deals for Carlo. Hypothetically speaking, what if a team like Detroit offered Athanasiou or Toronto offered Nylander for Carlo? Those are the types of players the Bruins need, fast players that can help the Bruins produce offensively. In my opinion, the only reason the Bruins are targeting Landeskog is because he fits the Bruins mold, two-way player, vaunted as a PF, and can score around 50 pts. If such a trade happens, I hope those of you that like Landeskog are right that he is better than what his numbers suggest, but I can't stop myself from thinking about the flashbacks I have of Milan Lucic and not the good ones.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Maybe this "bruins mold," is whats holding us back all these years . NHL has changed in too many ways.. lay a big hit, and its a penalty or the puck just goes the other way that much quicker..putting the hitter out of position.. might be time to change the stereotype

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
TSN's Frank Servalli's take of what teams need out of the trading period. Boston and Colorado are noted below. From his take, consistent with many others who have reported, most everything available from the Av's. He suggests they want a valuable ping pong ball in a return.

Don't know if the Bruins would be the best partner to give the Av's the best shot a high draft slot. A bit like the Bruins - Sharks situation when fans here hoping the Sharks where positioned to tank and they didn't. From what he writes on the B's hard to imagine Carlo going anywhere. Johnson seems to be the one guy one would fit the B's need as he sees it.

Wondered in the past should anything get done with both clubs it would require a 3rd team. Not so sure that is a possibility for this years trading period given expansion and cap situations.

Colorado:
Top priority: Tear it down
Scoop: There is something wrong with the young Avalanche core and GM Joe Sakic is on a quest to find it. Just about everyone outside of Nathan MacKinnon, Mikko Rantanen and elite prospect Tyson Jost are available. The Avs will have competition in Arizona for the most ping-pong balls to grab No. 1 ranked prospect Nolan Patrick.

Boston:
Top priority: Top-four defenceman
Scoop: The Bruins have remained in the hunt despite re-tooling on the fly. Brandon Carlo, 20, has provided a shot in the arm - but the team still needs to find another top-four defender to help eventually phase out Zdeno Chara, who is playing one minute fewer per night this season.

http://www.tsn.ca/counting-down-to-tradecentre-what-each-nhl-team-needs-1.652984

Last edited:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Buying anything to jolt your team to the playoffs is a waste of assets. Recognize the true problems to realize the true goal of winning a cup.

This team is at least another winger and another defenseman from being anything close to a contender. There's no reason to rush to try and acquire one of those pieces when the prices will be sky high. That's poor asset management. If you're looking to get a jolt to the playoffs maybe just can Julien even though he's not the real issue. But if that buys you time as a GM that's what you gotta do. What this team really needs is more time, another season or two, and not trading away valuable assets at the worst times for things that probably won't fix the actual problems.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I don't understand the appeal of Tyson Barrie, especially since we already have a player like him in Krug.

If people rip into Krug here, Barrie's player thread would be on number 3 this year. Similar to Krug offensively, worse than him defensively.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Buying anything to jolt your team to the playoffs is a waste of assets. Recognize the true problems to realize the true goal of winning a cup.

This team is at least another winger and another defenseman from being anything close to a contender. There's no reason to rush to try and acquire one of those pieces when the prices will be sky high. That's poor asset management. If you're looking to get a jolt to the playoffs maybe just can Julien even though he's not the real issue. But if that buys you time as a GM that's what you gotta do. What this team really needs is more time, another season or two, and not trading away valuable assets at the worst times for things that probably won't fix the actual problems.

That's why I hope they trade for someone good with term on their contract, not someone who is going to be gone this year or the year after. Don't make short-sighted moves.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Maybe this "bruins mold," is whats holding us back all these years . NHL has changed in too many ways.. lay a big hit, and its a penalty or the puck just goes the other way that much quicker..putting the hitter out of position.. might be time to change the stereotype

I think we've already seen an adjustment. Pasta, Spooner, Vatrano, Krug etc don't play a heavy old school bruins game. Sure they still have guys that finish their checks in belesky, backes McQuaid and kmiller but power forwards aren't obsolete just yet. The bruins want to be a hard team to play against and I think that's still a viable mold, they just need to understand speed and transition help to be that team just as much as defense and physicality.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

And I would also add not signing free agents to long-term, large money deals who may not be impact players when your team eventually hits its stride. See Backes, David as Exhibit A.

Sweeney himself felt his first order of business was fixing the cap situation...he ought to avoid putting himself right back into that situation.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB

Very well said:handclap: I think the problem is that Bruins Management and a number of fans as well feel they should be this rough and tumble team AKA The Big Bad Bruins, but the facts are that this model won't fly in today's NHL. Penalties are called for barely any contact now and it is fast skating teams with good PP that take advantage of what the game is now, that and an elite goalie can go a long way. Time for the powers that be to realize this and start to reshape this team. We need less Lucic types and more Hall, McKinnon types.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

this

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
In regards to Barrie, if the comp is Krug, I'll take another one of him every day of the week over McQuaid/Miller/Liles on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad