Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Only way i deal Carlo is if there's a second trade to bring Shattenkirk to Boston with an extension agreed upon.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Pastrnak is just as good as MacKinnon. In some ways better.

Won't be able to agree on that assessment. Watched McKinnon play for many years and don't see very as much comparable between the two. Pasta is a terrific player but in my mind falls far short of McKinnon. Sure would be fun to watch them play together though!

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
MacKinnon is good, I'm not questioning that at all.

You'd probably lose that years salary however.

Toss out one fantastic rookie season (where he played wing mostly not center), and the production is fairly similar.

All those things you just said about MacKinnon (highly skilled, tough and all the intangibles to continue being a star in this league), you don't think those apply to Pastrnak?

Anyways I've said my piece and this might derail the overrating of pieces actually on the trade block like Duchene and Landeskog.

Please continue.

No fear of losing that salary, I would help Pasta pack if it meant the. Bruins getting McKinnon. Pasta is skilled yes, yes as you mentioned in a previous post he was running with Crosby for the goal scoring, key word there is "was", he is no longer doing that. You have to take into account the teams players play for and their line mates. Look at Tavares, is he bad because his numbers are down playing with the Islanders. The Avs would never trade McKinnon, he is their best player by far, unfortunately.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
This is what I mean when I say stupid trades. So basically we unload all our crap contracts and pick up there top players? Ya sounds great! If we get Landeskog kiss Carlo goodbye. That's the only way it happens. Plet

Color ado sends

Landeskog
Barrie

Bos Sends

Carlo
2017 1st
Spooner

There is your trade

This I may be able to get my head around. I still really worry about getting any of our D prospects to really turn into something as great as things are looking for McAvoy.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Speaks to McKinnon's not accepting less than full effort from all his teammates. That's what he has always expected and worked extremely hard on being able to deliver himself. His motor constantly revs on high at work. He has a burning desire to win and always pushing to be the best he can be. He doesn't hang with Crosby merely because of the home town connections. He wants Sid to push him to get to the next level. No shortcuts allowed in his mind.

Isn't that approach of holding yourself and teammates accountable exactly what you want in any player let alone in a budding superstar like McKinnon? Maybe the coach and his teammate need to follow that example not turn it/him into a spectacle. Allowing the environment associated with losing to take root is in no way in McKinnon's, Sakic's or the Av's best interest. Letting it fester will bring about lots of pain for that organization. When you reach that point, players simply want out.

I don't know, it speaks more to a young player who blames his teammates and refused to listen to his captain or his coach. He's a great player but that sort of thing can be toxic to a team.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't know, it speaks more to a young player who blames his teammates and refused to listen to his captain or his coach. He's a great player but that sort of thing can be toxic to a team.

Perhaps it speaks to Landeskog as captain? Just a thought. I'm not sold on him period, clearly.

Duchene yes.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Only way i deal Carlo is if there's a second trade to bring Shattenkirk to Boston with an extension agreed upon.

How many 6-7+ million dollar a year players can we have. I just don't believe there is a way Boston can trade a cheap player (Carlo) for an expensive player. And then turn around and do it again with Shattenkirk.

Now maybe you have a plan to give Krejci or Rask away in the offseason as salary dumps, but there is only so much cap space

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
The drafting of Brandon Carlo has arguably been Sweeney's biggest positive addition to the team since becoming GM. If he trades him for Landeskog — a younger Loui Eriksson who hasn't been a plus player in 4 seasons — then he can kiss his job goodbye.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
The drafting of Brandon Carlo has arguably been Sweeney's biggest positive addition to the team since becoming GM. If he trades him for Landeskog — a younger Loui Eriksson who hasn't been a plus player in 4 seasons — then he can kiss his job goodbye.
+/- is definitely the definitive statistic that measures a player's worth. Good call.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Why not just try to get Louie back for half the cost of landeskog

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH

Please explain the comparables between the two players.

The only one I've got is that they are from the same region of the world.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
It seems like most posters feel that the trade would work talent wise if the Bruins were able to swing a second deal for a defenseman, using someone such as Spooner as the key piece. But like others have said, what of the cap? If you trade Carlo for Landy, and get someone such as Shattenkirk for Spooner and prospects, are you a better team right now? I think so, yes. But your cap next year is $12 million higher (depending on what you pay Shattenkirk for an extension) and you only moved out less than $3 million, most of which was Spooner's expiring contract. Doesn't this type of double move put the Bruins right back into a cap disaster?

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Landeskog is nothing like Loui.
He's straight power. A guy who plays every shift hard.

I really hope they don't trade Carlo or McAvoy here. It would be a mistake.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
This is the year they have to get rid of dead weight, not trade away assets for rentals.

The guys on TEAM1040 just said you can do a 3 year rebuilt like the Oilers/Leafs did, but then again they were lucky and received top end elite talent.

If it were me I would try to get rid of the usual suspects then inject the top prospects of the organization next year into the lineup and let it roll from there.

This trading away 2nd rounders for marginal talent hasn't worked 2 years in a row and isn't going to work this year either, go with the youth plan and stick with it or die trying is my philosophy.

Oilers are in year 11 of their 3 year rebuild and I'm not sure about the leafs.:laugh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oilers are in year 11 of their 3 year rebuild and I'm not sure about the leafs.:laugh:

They are either in year 39 of a three year rebuild, or they are in year 3 of their 13th three year rebuild in a row. Hard to tell.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Im going to suggest vlasic twice had more than 35 points and Seabrook has flirted with 50

Vlasic's career average is about 24 points. Carlo is on pace for 15 as a rookie. I don't think there's a mountain of difference between the two in terms of their offensive upside.

Hjalmarsson and Mitchell to me are more second pairing guys based on icetime... and I think both have got better later in their careers... not sure how valuable either guy is considered to be at 22... 23... 24....

There have been seasons where Hjalmarsson has played more against top lines that Seabrook. When Keith was being considered for the Norris folks complained that he wasn't as good as the numbers suggested because Hjalmarsson took on all the tough matchups. Brickley even made that argument.

Regehr... he was almost considered for the Olympic team... pretty good player...

I think Carlo's upside is somewhere in the range of a Hjalmarsson/Vlasic/Seabrook. He can move the puck and he is willing to jump into the offense. Depending on his role and line mates that could lead t points, but even if it doesn't he skates, defends, thinks and passes well.

When you look at the trades these guys were involved in... you get a sense what value very good defensive dmen have in a trade

I think another good indicator of their value, would be the players those teams traded away in order to keep their defensive defensemen. For example, Chicago chose Hjalmarsson over Saad.

All that said, I do hear what you're saying. Defensive D generally don't carry the value that offensive defensemen do. And defensive D are harder to project. Are we trading a future Seabrook or a future McLaren?

Personally, I don't make that move for Landeskog. I'm not convinced he's a better player than Lucic or Horton when they were here, and if he's not then why go to the trouble? Now, if you could get Duchene or someone else who projects to be a legitimate 30-40 goal threat then I'd consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad