Proposal: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XVIII.. Can we fill another before deadline day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Jacobs ( again thanks to Charlie ) is spending a lot of money renovating TD Garden right now. Home playoff games are pure profit.

The cynic in me is worried that the NHL will do whatever they can to get the Panthers in the playoffs to see if there is any pulse in the South Florida market. The concept that we as Bruins fans are scoreboard watching Florida games makes me ill...

Yeah, don't trust Bettman/NHL brass on any of this.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I have come to the conclusion that Kelly (cap dump), a resigned Soderberg and Eriksson should be shipped out for two decent assets in the form of a top six winger and 2-3 shutdown defenseman. Pepper in picks/prospects where needed. Soderberg leaving does create a hole, but Spooner and Koko are next in line and that's not bad.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
No. From 2011-2014 the Bruins have certainly had an excellent run, but this squad, and all of its problems, are a product of a lengthy series of failures and omissions by Chiarelli and this front office, most happening after the 2011 Cup.

1. Years of horrible drafting.
2. Too many NTCs and NMCs awarded in contracts.
3. Overpay Kelly after anomalous 20 goal season.
4. Seguin trade disaster.
5. Failure to use TWO compliance buy outs.
6. Failure to foresee 4th line completely inept both last year & this year.
7. Failing to truly go "all in" last year, by failing to do anything at the trade deadline, despite Seids getting injured, and despite already back loading bonuses in Iginla deal.
8. Failing to make any moves last summer to free up cap space.
9. Losing Iginla.
10. Misjudging offensive capacity/depth
11. Failing to replace Iginla.
12. Misjudging defensive capacity/depth.
13. Boychuk trade disaster.
14. Failing to make any move at all this year to address offensive needs.
15. Failing to make any move at all this year to address defensive needs.

And here we are, laughing, painfully, at Chiarelli, once again, laying the groundwork for more excuses for his failure to, again, do anything worthwhile at the trade deadline.

But no worries, of course. There will always be plenty of people willing to offer creative excuses for the Bruins FO. Because 2011. That's how Sinden survived for so long.

Probably the greatest 546th post in HFB LF history. :handclap:

Sums it all up. Sinden took a long swirl down the drain; MOC was a fkktard who flamed out; Chia, I can't understand how a guy who is so intelligent and educated could eff up so many things in such a short time.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
No. From 2011-2014 the Bruins have certainly had an excellent run, but this squad, and all of its problems, are a product of a lengthy series of failures and omissions by Chiarelli and this front office, most happening after the 2011 Cup.

1. Years of horrible drafting.
2. Too many NTCs and NMCs awarded in contracts.
3. Overpay Kelly after anomalous 20 goal season.
4. Seguin trade disaster.
5. Failure to use TWO compliance buy outs.
6. Failure to foresee 4th line completely inept both last year & this year.
7. Failing to truly go "all in" last year, by failing to do anything at the trade deadline, despite Seids getting injured, and despite already back loading bonuses in Iginla deal.
8. Failing to make any moves last summer to free up cap space.
9. Losing Iginla.
10. Misjudging offensive capacity/depth
11. Failing to replace Iginla.
12. Misjudging defensive capacity/depth.
13. Boychuk trade disaster.
14. Failing to make any move at all this year to address offensive needs.
15. Failing to make any move at all this year to address defensive needs.

And here we are, laughing, painfully, at Chiarelli, once again, laying the groundwork for more excuses for his failure to, again, do anything worthwhile at the trade deadline.

But no worries, of course. There will always be plenty of people willing to offer creative excuses for the Bruins FO. Because 2011. That's how Sinden survived for so long.

So was it worth it to experience the greatest night of my life in 2011 ? Yes.;)

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
How mediocre are the Bruins so far? Anyone check out the goal differential?

Rangers +33, tb +30, Habs +25, caps and isles +23, pens and wings +21....

Bruins +3

:cry:

I do not understand how we can go from the top to the bottom in one year. This team just looks like they quit when the season opened. I don't get it. The vibe is just...off. Even when they win. Its with no swagger. No confidence.

Who are the 2014 Bruins? What is their identity? Its sad that the players, nor the coach, nor the gm can figure it out.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

I do not understand how we can go from the top to the bottom in one year. This team just looks like they quit when the season opened. I don't get it. The vibe is just...off. Even when they win. Its with no swagger. No confidence.

Who are the 2014 Bruins? What is their identity? Its sad that the players, nor the coach, nor the gm can figure it out.

Mediocrity.

And unfortunately, I think more of that is coming. And they will get worse before they get better.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Oh, I think that the players do have it figured out but who's going to come out and say what he thinks? They're all playing like they're waiting for the shoe to drop.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I have come to the conclusion that Kelly (cap dump), a resigned Soderberg and Eriksson should be shipped out for two decent assets in the form of a top six winger and 2-3 shutdown defenseman. Pepper in picks/prospects where needed. Soderberg leaving does create a hole, but Spooner and Koko are next in line and that's not bad.

Agreed. The whole third line has value to some degree and it is time to let your prospects become NHL players.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Jacobs ( again thanks to Charlie ) is spending a lot of money renovating TD Garden right now. Home playoff games are pure profit.

We can argue Charlie Jacob's "speech" until we are blue in the face - it isn't about money - since less than 35% of playoff revenue actually goes to the teams. Most of it goes to the league and the revenue sharing pool..

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/6/7/4406482/2013-nhl-cba-revenue-sharing-program-explained

those teams participating in the Stanley Cup playoffs (regardless of their earning power during the regular season) chip in 35% of gate receipts from home playoff games.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Mediocrity.

And unfortunately, I think more of that is coming. And they will get worse before they get better.

I honestly think they shot themselves in the foot regarding the d. You banked on an aging Chara staying healthy. Seidenberg returning to form after a horrible injury. Hamilton stepping up. Bart being something of value. Quaider being healthy. Krug repeat performance and a Miller breakout. Apparently they thought trading Boychuk then was a good time to do it.

Which once again begs the question: What was Chia thinking?you can't bake on all those what ifs.

Morrow isn't playing because they thought he wasnt ready (he's hurt now). Trotman isn't either. This while season could be salvagable if the D straightens out. There lies the issue. This system relies heavily on our D. If they play like crap, its pretty much going to hurt our forwards. Had the d been okay this season, I think we'd be in better shape and position to acquire a top forward. Now we need both.

I truly believe the Boychuk trade set this in motion. I dont think we'd be this bad if he was still here. We need to get a rough dman asap. Set the tone. Get that swagger. Dont know who fits that mold and is available, but its a must. Stabilize the d.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa

So the team gets 75% of the gates for every home game without having to pay player's salaries? That seems to me to be better than that is happening during the regular season where tickets costs less money and player salaries costs more. A teams that make the playoffs make more money than when do not make the playoffs, even the Leafs could make more money making the playoffs but they already make so much that the ownership group doesn't really care.

To say that Jacobs doesn't care about the extra revenue the playoffs bring in is nonsense, but is it the only reason he wants to make sure the Bruins make it? I don't think so. Teams also generally base the following season's ticket prices based on how well the team played/finished the following season. A long playoff run will usually be followed by a larger increase in ticket prices. Missing the playoffs and being looked at poorly by the fans will generally not allow a team to mark up ticket prices as high and as an owner you require the extra boost in revenue in order to stay profitable.

Jacobs isn't an idiot and wants the same thing that every businessman dreams of, BEING SUCCESSFUL! In NHL that means making the playoffs and competing for the Stanley Cup EVERY year and being fortunate enough to win it every so often. If this team needs to clean house and rebuild to make that happen I believe that is exactly what is going to be demanded from ownership. Not just because of money, but because that is how succeed in the NHL. Win and you make money, lose you don't.

Unless you are Toronto and people just pay money because they don't know any better

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Holy Crap. We just about filled this thread in 3 days.

wow make a move chia I don't know how to count much higher with roman numerals.

May 29, 2013
If he can find a way to deal Chara do it, he's definitely lost a couple of steps and looks awfully slow now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he can find a way to deal Chara do it, he's definitely lost a couple of steps and looks awfully slow now.

and the inevitable return he`d get would break the internet with fan reactions here

careful what ya wish for, this team would buckle and immediately be in the conversation for the first overall pick

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If we are going to get any kind of shake up it happens with a new GM.

I have no trust in chia that he is willing to drop the dead weight and get younger guys to replace them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
and when that GM winds up being John Ferguson Junior, how ya feel then;)

I'd be sad that we started tanking 1 year too late.

But if chia can't create anything huge by deadline I think he gets fired.
This has been an embarrasing year for the bruins.

Like I said earlier I'm afraid that we are looking at the fall of the bruin.
GM has to understand when to cut loose and trade dead weight/get rid of.
Our 2 4th line guys banking 3M cap hit, seid at 4M, (kelly at 3M),
Chara at 7M.
Chara is going nowhere so atleast clean up thath 4th line+seids+kelly and play 4 rookies next year and suddenly we have cap left to sign new players.

Pasta, koko, morrow and cunningham can contribute and they aren't just waste of cap.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I honestly think they shot themselves in the foot regarding the d. You banked on an aging Chara staying healthy. Seidenberg returning to form after a horrible injury. Hamilton stepping up. Bart being something of value. Quaider being healthy. Krug repeat performance and a Miller breakout. Apparently they thought trading Boychuk then was a good time to do it.

Which once again begs the question: What was Chia thinking?you can't bake on all those what ifs.

Morrow isn't playing because they thought he wasnt ready (he's hurt now). Trotman isn't either. This while season could be salvagable if the D straightens out. There lies the issue. This system relies heavily on our D. If they play like crap, its pretty much going to hurt our forwards. Had the d been okay this season, I think we'd be in better shape and position to acquire a top forward. Now we need both.

I truly believe the Boychuk trade set this in motion. I dont think we'd be this bad if he was still here. We need to get a rough dman asap. Set the tone. Get that swagger. Dont know who fits that mold and is available, but its a must. Stabilize the d.

I agree with all this. I really think the Boychuk trade set the stage for the team's decline.

Boychuk was a really important player on and off the ice. They traded him away and that deflated the room right from the start of the season. On top of that, Chiarelli
makes silly statements saying it was the first of many moves. So that leaves the players waiting for something else to happen. Hard to play well under those conditions.

How can they watch all this happen, look around the room, and still see themselves as a contending team. They all say the right word and talk about what it takes. But at the end of the day.. The fans see it, they must also see it. Other teams are getting better. They traded away a huge part of the core for draft picks and cap space. They didn't bring anyone new into the room. How can they truly feel like they have a chance this year?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I agree with all this. I really think the Boychuk trade set the stage for the team's decline.

Boychuk was a really important player on and off the ice. They traded him away and that deflated the room right from the start of the season. On top of that, Chiarelli
makes silly statements saying it was the first of many moves. So that leaves the players waiting for something else to happen. Hard to play well under those conditions.

How can they watch all this happen, look around the room, and still see themselves as a contending team. They all say the right word and talk about what it takes. But at the end of the day.. The fans see it, they must also see it. Other teams are getting better. They traded away a huge part of the core for draft picks and cap space. They didn't bring anyone new into the room. How can they truly feel like they have a chance this year?

QFT! ^^^^^^^^

So well put I don't know what there is to add. Very good assessment of what I also feel is what the players were/are feeling and thinking as this disjointed season has "progressed." The stability of the team that they've learned to trust was turned upside down set in motion by the JB trade.
As I said in a recent post "since that trade they've been waiting for the other shoe to drop."

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I couldn't understand the timing of the trade.
3 days before the season started, that's one way to make sure your team is ....... up.

How did it got to that point, he had the whole summer to think/do trades.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Probably the greatest 546th post in HFB LF history. :handclap:

Sums it all up. Sinden took a long swirl down the drain; MOC was a fkktard who flamed out; Chia, I can't understand how a guy who is so intelligent and educated could eff up so many things in such a short time.

I really believe that he looked at it like most GMs of sports teams do. Win the cup... go to a SC so we must have the winning formula... resign EVERYONE to keep it moving.

Smart GM's realize that past success doesn't necessarily translate into future success and tweak the roster each year to keep it moving. Chiarelli did that a few year prior to winning the cup but he forgot all this once he got there.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

That's what happens when the team has a very flat, uninspired loss in the first game of a road trip where they need points to stay ahead of the Panthers who are killing at their heels with games in hand.

Team needed a fix months ago and Chiarelli has let the clock run out while sitting on his hands.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Next one is XIX.
Just follow the Super Bowls. ;)
As the thread title asks, we could probably fill another before March 2. Then it will be easy: XX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad