Proposal: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XVII.. Will Chia do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not even the best defenseman on this current team anymore. As far as the other poster not respecting him, I don't think that's the case at all. I believe he's smart enough to realize Chara is on the downward spiral of his career and if the Bruins can get some assets for him why not do it for the future growth of the team. He isn't a spring chicken anymore, hes as slow as molasses and is a huge defensively liability whenever he's on the ice.

I for one would deal Z if someone came calling and gave the Bs a great deal. I think in the right situation where he wasn't asked to play so many minutes and with a team who had a more team speed on the back-end, you would see him excel again but with the current state of the bruins it isn't going to happen.

Respect Z, I think there isn't a poster who doesn't respect him for all he's accomplished and has done for the Bs organization and their fan base, but his body isn't a machine even though he treats it likes one. His style of play and his own physical demands throughout the yrs on and off the ice, he has put upon himself, like or not has caused his body to start to brake down. He's been a Great warrior, but if I can get value for him in a trade ,I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thank you, I never said anything bad about him, just said cap hit is too heavy and at some point you have to start building a new team.
That injury really got him and you have to take his size in to attention.

It's not the same situation as it was with Lidström, Chara is 70 pounds heavier than he was.

In an ideal world he'd be our 2nd pairing D and in his last 2 years maybe 3rd pairing D, less minutes, play him on the PK and start him in the O-zone starts. That way he could be a better force for us but now we have to play him too hard and it's showing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think you understand the difference between what "he makes" and what "his cap hit is" and what Chia has/had control over.

But if you haven't figured it out by now. . .

I just gave you his cap hit numbers, I'm sorry that I put makes instead of cap hit is 7M.

again cap hit when he is 39-40 season is 7M and when he's 40-41 it's 4M,
Better?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
There was that one poster who seemed like a huge Stewart fanboy. He's probably the only one.

Cam Atkinson however is a good player who I think is only going to get better the more experience he gets in the NHL. He was a real treat to watch play for Springfield in the AHL.
But the terrible Stewart has 1 more point than Atkinson?

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Name one defenseman on the team better.

You can't. Because there isn't one.

Pinch yourself and wake up.

It isn't 2011 anymore. The Buins d is pretty weak right now but Krug and Hamilton are both bringing more to the table than big Z. The numerous turnovers in his own-zone, when he has the puck behind his own net, he has a hard time clearing it anymore and getting away from pressure. He has bad pinches way to often and gets caught and he just can't handle the puck near the offensive blue-line when there's any pressure on him.

He maybe still suffering from his injury as he's playing with braces on both knees he's beaten up and he isn't nearly the defender he once was. He doesn't put the fear into opposing coaches anymore who were worried about matching up against him. He is extremely vulnerable to pressure, speed and skill.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Chia cannot just make 1 move. it has to make 2 moves.

This team is not good enough to win a Cup without at least 2 pieces. A top 4 D and a top 9W

If not he must become a seller.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Pinch yourself and wake up.

It isn't 2011 anymore. The Buins d is pretty weak right now but Krug and Hamilton are both bringing more to the table than big Z. The numerous turnovers in his own-zone, when he has the puck behind his own net, he has a hard time clearing it anymore and getting away from pressure. He has bad pinches way to often and gets caught and he just can't handle the puck near the offensive blue-line when there's any pressure on him.

He maybe still suffering from his injury as he's playing with braces on both knees he's beaten up and he isn't nearly the defender he once was. He doesn't put the fear into opposing coaches anymore who were worried about matching up against him. He is extremely vulnerable to pressure, speed and skill.

In the same post you told me to pinch myself and wake up and that Torey Krug is better than Zdeno Chara.

Classic stuff.

He isn't what he used to be but he is still damn good. Him having a bad two games doesn't change that. He was playing very good hockey leading up to the most recent two games.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
In the same post you told me to pinch myself and wake up and that Torey Krug is better than Zdeno Chara.

Classic stuff.

He isn't what he used to be but he is still damn good. Him having a bad two games doesn't change that. He was playing very good hockey leading up to the most recent two games.

Yes, Krug has played better than Chara in the yr 2014-15 not 2011.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
He has motivation problems and doesn't do D well. Atkinson is a good skater who could challenge habs players.

I'd really want us to go arizona/edmonton way.
Size up front and on the top 9 is an issue. did you see anybody in Price's grill?
Stewart at least gives the Bruins another banger on the top 9. something the Bruins really lack.

When motivated Stewart is a good player, he has good hands can skate and can drop the gloves.

i think Stewart would be motivated in Boston. first what better market for Stewart? second he is a pending UFA so he wants to finish the season strong. 3rd he and Lucic would feed off of each other. Maybe Stewart goes after Emelin for once.

Stewart now has 18 points in his last 23 games. how many Bruins have equal or better production in the past 23 games?

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Size up front and on the top 9 is an issue. did you see anybody in Price's grill?
Stewart at least gives the Bruins another banger on the top 9. something the Bruins really lack.

When motivated Stewart is a good player, he has good hands can skate and can drop the gloves.

i think Stewart would be motivated in Boston. first what better market for Stewart? second he is a pending UFA so he wants to finish the season strong. 3rd he and Lucic would feed off of each other. Maybe Stewart goes after Emelin for once.

Stewart now has 18 points in his last 23 games. how many Bruins have equal or better production in the past 23 games?

Do you think Julien is up to the task? I don't.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Do you think Julien is up to the task? I don't.
I don't think Julien has to do anything.

Look at the pre 2014/2015 Bruins. lol

It was almost an automatic whenever someone threw a big hit the next shift would follow with another one.

After Lucic hits somebody,Stewart will hear the Bruins faithful chant LOOOOCH! He will go out the very next shift and play the body.

Also 18 points in his last 23 games on a team that does not score cannot be ignored.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
6 years with 7 and 1 year for 4, that's a bad deal from our management.
and he's 39-40 on that season when he's banking 7M and 4M when he turns 41.

I'd have no problems having him now at 5M and then 4M, give some room to sign importan pieces.
He's not elite anymore.

Chara was given that deal to reduce his cap hit in the early years of his deal and the NMC to go with it.

If not for that deal, and you were paying Chara what he should have got on a 3-4 year deal, he or someone else would have been missing from the roster from 2010/2011 onward (except for 2012/13 when they had actual cap space).

The deal was structured to get that $6.9 million cap hit in the early years. It is now that they are paying for it - and without it, they wouldn't have won a cup.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Chara was given that deal to reduce his cap hit in the early years of his deal and the NMC to go with it.

If not for that deal, and you were paying Chara what he should have got on a 3-4 year deal, he or someone else would have been missing from the roster from 2010/2011 onward (except for 2012/13 when they had actual cap space).

The deal was structured to get that $6.9 million cap hit in the early years. It is now that they are paying for it - and without it, they wouldn't have won a cup.
You don't think Sherriff Shane was up to the task?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah I've been saying that he could be highly motivated playing here, but his D play is something that julien is not gonna watch.

This is honestly a hard one between him and atkinson.
We basically need 3 trades right?
top6 F,
bottom 6F,
Top 4D,

and I would like to try in this case speed against speed,
habs beat us last year when we were the bigger team and at the same time slower team, sam thing this year, I get your points bu maybe it should be a time to try something new? cause this just doesn't seem to work against the habs.

So more speed/skill to top6F, more size to bottom6(kassian),
and sekera/methot/michalek for top 4D,
but I'd still go with arizona/ edmonton route.

I honestly get what you mean and I've been saying those same things here for the last few weeks, but habs owns us, they know our every move, let's shake things up.

But I'm still gonna be pissed if at the end we lost boychuk to stewart.
We just should have used him this year and have a strong D and make tweaks at top.
Bottom line is that we need more than 1 trade.

Jacob, chia, julien expects the cup so they are not gonna give up and we are gonna get someone, but who and how bad it's gonna be is a mystery.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah it's a bad situation. Helped them to win the cup but now they have to pay for it, and my point that I tried to make was that with 4-5M per year I would have no problems with his play, we could use him as a 2nd pairing D, limit his minutes, safe his legs for playoffs and have a younger D in the first pairing. But you have to pay if you wanna win.

But this new deal started after their Stanley Cup win (2010-2011) in the 2011-2012 season so it didn't play a part in their stanley cup win?

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Yeah I've been saying that he could be highly motivated playing here, but his D play is something that julien is not gonna watch.

This is honestly a hard one between him and atkinson.
We basically need 3 trades right?
top6 F,
bottom 6F,
Top 4D,

and I would like to try in this case speed against speed,
habs beat us last year when we were the bigger team and at the same time slower team, sam thing this year, I get your points bu maybe it should be a time to try something new? cause this just doesn't seem to work against the habs.

So more speed/skill to top6F, more size to bottom6(kassian),
and sekera/methot/michalek for top 4D,
but I'd still go with arizona/ edmonton route.

I honestly get what you mean and I've been saying those same things here for the last few weeks, but habs owns us, they know our every move, let's shake things up.

But I'm still gonna be pissed if at the end we lost boychuk to stewart.
We just should have used him this year and have a strong D and make tweaks at top.
Bottom line is that we need more than 1 trade.

Jacob, chia, julien expects the cup so they are not gonna give up and we are gonna get someone, but who and how bad it's gonna be is a mystery.
For the record, i am not crazy about Stewart. i just find it silly that people say that he is terrible and can't help this team.

i would take a flyer on Stewart...at the right price.I do think he would do well in Boston. Bruins are seriously lacking jam and size on the top 9. Stewart brings that.

But like you said(as did i) Chia can't just make 1 move. 1 move may not even get them into the playoffs. It has to be at least 2 moves. top 4 D top 9W. or no moves at all.

Vs Montreal we need a quicker D and a bigger Fwd

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

This team is not good enough to win a Cup without at least 2 pieces. A top 4 D and a top 9W

This is it for me too. To me, this team needs more speed, more finish, and probably another top 4 dman. Otherwise I think they think they are probably behind 3-4 teams in the East and more out West.

I have no issues with dealing some futures if PC can obtain each of these, but half measures would be a waste.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yeah it's a bad situation. Helped them to win the cup but now they have to pay for it, and my point that I tried to make was that with 4-5M per year I would have no problems with his play, we could use him as a 2nd pairing D, limit his minutes, safe his legs for playoffs and have a younger D in the first pairing. But you have to pay if you wanna win.

But this new deal started after their Stanley Cup win (2010-2011) in the 2011-2012 season so it didn't play a part in their stanley cup win?

Except Chara signed his extension in 2010 and took effect the following season. I was the one that actually broke that news here (along with Bergeron's extension).

I ask you this: Had Chara not signed that extension in 2010, would the Bruins have let him finish the season as a UFA and go on and win the cup?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chara is still a top 15 defenseman in the NHL, and very, very easily our best defenseman. We are just extremely spoiled. Yes, he has declined from a top 3 defenseman to a top 15. TRADE HIM!

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

He also has to decide what happens to the Yeti. If he doesn't sign him to an extension before March 2nd, then you trade him for top assets that you an dangle in the off season for a younger RFA.

What you can't do is lose the Yeti for free. You either sign him or get a top return for him.

Every other moves or non-move are secondary IMO. It all starts with what you do with the Yeti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad