Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Based on the Trouba trade....keeping Krug is better than getting garbage.

Jets had to unload salary the Bruins would like to but don't necessarily have to. By taking Trouba off the Jets books that lowers the return. I expect a handsome return if Krug is traded , otherwise I don't think it will happen.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Imagine a top six of:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krecji - Laine

Could we package Krug, Backes + to land Laine?
So, you think David Backes is going to waive his no trade/limited trade to go to Hoth? You think a team in a cap crunch like Winnipeg is going to be willing to take on 6M in cap spae over the next two seasons?

Laine is a very streaky scorer, somebody who I am afraid that when he gets his big deal will become even less interested in playing. Winnipeg says no, Backes says no and Sweeney should as well.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Still the most incomprehensible move ...

nah, that's Backes.

immediately on the heels of dealing a face of the franchise in Lucic because "paying $6 mill long term to a 27 yr old powerforward doesnt make sense" he turns around and instead gives a 32 year old lesser powerforward 5/30 with an NMC

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'm not in the "sky is falling" crowd but I'm definitely not in the "we just lost game 7 of the SCF" crowd either.
These playoffs definitely are not a sign that we ran into a hot goalie in game 7 nor we need to blow it up.

The biggest glaring holes we have and I believe I wrote this last year when the playoffs ended and we were heading into the draft and UFA
1) Top 6 RW/LW with size and grit
2) Additional piece for the Coyle line 3RW/3LW
3) Trade one of Gryzz/Krug, big bodied LD

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta (This line is perfection, you don't break it up unless they lose their chemistry or one is traded)
XXXX-Krejci-Johansson
Debrusk-Coyle-XXXXX
Kuhlman-Kuraly-Wagner
Nordstrom

Vaak-McAvoy
Gryzz/Krug- Carlo
Chara-Clifton
Moore/Lauzon

1. Backes traded/retires/bought out
2. Krug/Gryzz + Heinen for a top 6
3. Miller traded for 3rd rounder
4. Sign someone for the 3rd line
5. Re-sign Johansson

If Krug+ Heinen got us Taylor Hall, I insert a kid on the 3rd line.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
Crazy idea for s's & g's: Backes + Krug for PK Subban. Sure, it doesn't address forward help at all, unless addition by subtraction with Backes. But what the hell. Silly season, right? I'm so bored at work.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Why is it so difficult for people to understand how bad it would be for the Bruins if Backes retired or was bought out?

If he's traded and then bought out, there's a substantial cap savings for the Bruins, even if we retain 50% of his contract.
I'm just going off Dom's article.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Instead of going for a higher priced, bigger named RW, I'd rather we look at a cheaper, younger guy, with scoring touch, in the minors. I do agree that he should have some size to him but not to goon it up.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Didn’t Sweeney say Backes is staying? Says he likes him as a bottom 6. Obviously could just be a respectful thing to not flat out say he’s trying to dump him. But I think Sweeney has always been pretty upfront. A buyout wouldn’t relieve enough.

member 96824

Why is it so difficult for people to understand how bad it would be for the Bruins if Backes retired or was bought out?

If Backes retired post July 1 signing bonus, his cap hit would be $2M per season for this year and next. That's actually probably the cheapest option..I'd be amazed if they could trade him without salary retention.

But it would have to be the choice of David Backes, and that's the part that makes it near impossible.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
So, you think David Backes is going to waive his no trade/limited trade to go to Hoth? You think a team in a cap crunch like Winnipeg is going to be willing to take on 6M in cap spae over the next two seasons?

Laine is a very streaky scorer, somebody who I am afraid that when he gets his big deal will become even less interested in playing. Winnipeg says no, Backes says no and Sweeney should as well.

Not only that: I bet that Krug has all the Canadian teams on his no-trade list.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Backes getting bought out would be a black eye for the franchise to any UFA considering Boston going forward. Backes getting marginalized then shoved down to Providence maybe be whats best for the team as a business, but it sure don't look good. It will come back to bite them if they donttreat the Backes situation with class as well as brains.

If I was a late 20s/30s UFA considering going to Boston. How they treated Backes, a classy guy with a storied career, would be an important factor for me.

Besides, I like the idea of rotating him out with Nordstrom and Wagner on the 4th line every other game to keep those energy wingers fresh.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Backes getting bought out would be a black eye for the franchise to any UFA considering Boston going forward. Backes getting marginalized then shoved down to Providence maybe be whats best for the team as a business, but it sure don't look good. It will come back to bite them if they donttreat the Backes situation with class as well as brains.

If I was a late 20s/30s UFA considering going to Boston. How they treated Backes, a classy guy with a storied career, would be an important factor for me.

Besides, I like the idea of rotating him out with Nordstrom and Wagner on the 4th line every other game to keep those energy wingers fresh.

I agree it should be treated with class, no question!
Having him as a spare part rotating in and out of the 4th line at 6 million? In a league with this much parity? There's gotta be a better solution!
We need Backes +Krug out and insert Johannson + Trade, under 11 million and then get Carlo and McAvoy signed for life

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
If he's traded and then bought out, there's a substantial cap savings for the Bruins, even if we retain 50% of his contract.
I'm just going off Dom's article.
If I'm following correctly, most of the savings there ($3M first year) is simply from trading Backes at 50% retained and only $166K incremental from the buyout (more 2nd year, negative year 3 & 4).

I'd like to trade Backes but don't see the point of burning a significant asset to do so unless we are sure we need the space.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I think this is what is going to happen. If they all stay healthy Backes, Nordstrom and Wagner would all play around 55-60 games and be fresh for the playoffs. It isn't ideal but it is most likely what will occur.

As I have said many times I like Backes but that 6M could be used to get a younger, quicker version of him, maybe not with as much offensive upside but meeting all the other things a young Backes brought to the table.

They will have money for Carlo and MacAvoy. Heinen may be going to unless he takes a team friendly deal and they won't be able to sign Ferland which is really unfortunate. Hopefully Frederic steps up and is able to take a bottom 6 spot and maybe they can get somebody physical from the draft who may be ready but that is highly doubtful at 30 and a good chunk of this years first round being USDT players going to college.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Imagine a top six of:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Debrusk - Krecji - Laine

Could we package Krug, Backes + to land Laine?

Remember when Laine went through those very long stretches of not scoring? WPG fans were seemingly pissed on here because if he isn't scoring, he really isn't helping much. Now imagine that in this section.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Backes being bought out only hurts because it only creates a bare minimum cap relief.

The fact that he's lost it and can't perform as expected, is a cause for him to lose his spot. If its by demotion or otherwise.

Too bad, tough luck, that's the business of pro-sports. It wouldn't create a Black-eye, its not like the Bruins are the only team who realize David Backes isn't the David Backes he was 5 years ago and he doesn't automatically deserve a spot because they signed him as FA, you still have to earn it.

Free-agents aren't going to shy away from signing with the Bruins because they bought out or demoted an aging David Backes. He's been payed well over the years and hasn't performed up to the standards of the contract he signed is the bottom line.

Why the bruins won't buy him out is that it isn't much of a cost saving move to add two more years, of receiving another buy out cap-hit after Backes contract runs out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratty

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Still the most incomprehensible move ...
I hated the deal but statistics show Rinaldo for a 3 is very good value measuring in games played

It’s a 4.5 in 30 play at least 246 regular season games

Rinaldo has played over 350

About 2/3rds play less then 10 games

The best player in the 3rd round was Adam Henrique from the Rinaldo draft

The immortal Zach Smith second and out of hockey Lance Bouma third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad