Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Now, what if it was at the cost of Grzelcyk? This is assuming Krug, Vaakanianen, Chara, Moore and one of Zboril or Lauzon take the LHD spots.

That would hurt. I'm probably higher on Gryz than most. I think people see him as a terrific bottom pair guy but I think he's a top pair guy in the mold of Vatanen or Spurgeon. I get it, depth for need and it's a deal we need and can afford to make, but I'd almost prefer it be Vaak. I know he has 10x the pedigree of Gryz but Gryz played top pair when Chara was out, went head to head against Crosby twice, has chemistry with McAvoy... all the things we hope Vaak will one day become.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That would hurt. I'm probably higher on Gryz than most. I think people see him as a terrific bottom pair guy but I think he's a top pair guy in the mold of Vatanen or Spurgeon. I get it, depth for need and it's a deal we need and can afford to make, but I'd almost prefer it be Vaak. I know he has 10x the pedigree of Gryz but Gryz played top pair when Chara was out, went head to head against Crosby twice, has chemistry with McAvoy... all the things we hope Vaak will one day become.

Ouch. Yeah, the fanbase love for Grzelcyk is exactly what the fans in Vancouver have for Virtanen, hence me wanting the idea to sting a little to make sense. Same for them; Grzelcyk would be perfect with Stecher on the third pairing and could take over on the top line when Edler goes down for his annual 20 games.

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Grzelcyk - Stecher
Hutton

Bruins get Virtanen at 1.25 and try him with Bergeron or Krejci and then grab Perry for the third line. Cheap 'show me' contracts that force Heinen, Senyshyn and Studnicka to win the spots on the roster.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cheap money

Yes it is, for a serviceable backup d-man who proved he can come in a hold his own when needed. Worst case, he goes to Providence and his salary gets buried. I am hopeful we don't have to see him play, but the injuries are inevitable so this is a fine depth signing.

Reactions: Alicat

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hopefully:

Krug - Carlo
Vaakanianen - McAvoy
Chara - Clifton
Kampfer

Move Grzelcyk, Miller and one of Lauzon/Zboril. Moore comes back in when healthy.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hopefully:

Krug - Carlo
Vaakanianen - McAvoy
Chara - Clifton
Kampfer

Move Grzelcyk, Miller and one of Lauzon/Zboril. Moore comes back in when healthy.

This is what I'd do but I think its fine to keep Gryz and let Vaak develop if Krug hasn't signed.

I also don't think we'll put Z on the 3rd pair if hes in the lineup hes playing with McAvoy. Not what I'd do but thats the way things work around here.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
This is what I'd do but I think its fine to keep Gryz and let Vaak develop if Krug hasn't signed.

I also don't think we'll put Z on the 3rd pair if hes in the lineup hes playing with McAvoy. Not what I'd do but thats the way things work around here.

I see Vaakanianen becoming Carlo 2.0 exactly. So logically he goes with Krug 2.0 in McAvoy and Chara goes where he belongs on the third pairing working with Clifton. Great pairs all across and young prospects stepping up (and Moore and Kampfer as vets) when guys go down.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hopefully:

Krug - Carlo
Vaakanianen - McAvoy
Chara - Clifton
Kampfer

Sorry, but no moving of the Gryz. He is better than Moore, Lauzon, Zboril, or Vaak. Chara should be done after next year (should have been done after this, but it is what it is). And, who knows what becomes of Krug? Moving Gryz (like @PlayMakers I see him as a top pair guy) would be madness, especially for a third liner like Jake Virtanen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is any team going to trade for Kevan Miller? I thought he was iffy to start the season with injury.

He'll have no problem moving Miller and the final year of his deal. The return won't be great, but he's easily movable, especially being a right-shot defender who can kill penalties and defend teammates. Brings some leadership capability.

Kampfer's return no doubt signals the end of Miller in Boston. Kampfer is basically cheap insurance, and if you look at the depth chart, there isn't much there for RD in the pipeline past the parent club, at least in the short-term.

Fact is, assuming they can't move Backes, they had to move out some money to even be able to afford to extend McAvoy, Carlo, and Heinen. The 1.7 in difference between Kampfer at 800k and Miller at 2.5 will likely be required to extend Boston's own RFAs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sorry, but no moving of the Gryz. He is better than Moore, Lauzon, Zboril, or Vaak. Chara should be done after next year (should have been done after this, but it is what it is). And, who knows what becomes of Krug? Moving Gryz (like @PlayMakers I see him as a top pair guy) would be madness, especially for a third liner like Jake Virtanen.

Unless they are moving him in a package to bring back a legitmate Top 6 forward, I don't see them moving Gryz. A team with cap problems isn't moving a guy who brings as much value as Gryz does at his current cap hit. Next summer who knows what happens with this roster.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Then it stands to reason that Krug is the odd man out then. I am a big fan of Grzelcyk's but something has to give to get help on the top 6 RW. It's crazy to think that the Bruins have a DOZEN NHL defensemen but only 5 top six forwards.

Reactions: Bodit9

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Unless they are moving him in a package to bring back a legitmate Top 6 forward, I don't see them moving Gryz. A team with cap problems isn't moving a guy who brings as much value as Gryz does at his current cap hit. Next summer who knows what happens with this roster.

It would hurt but that I could see. He's pretty much my favorite Bruins d-man so I want him to stay. If moving him is part of a deal that brings back a 1st/2nd line RW that isn't over 30, then it would be a good move.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Then it stands to reason that Krug is the odd man out then. I am a big fan of Grzelcyk's but something has to give to get help on the top 6 RW. It's crazy to think that the Bruins have a DOZEN NHL defensemen but only 5 top six forwards.

I like Gryz better than Krug and I think he is the better all-around defenseman, but he'll never do what Krug can do offensively. I think the Bruins can stand the loss of Krug who on his own can bring back the sort of forward we need. Gryz alone won't do it, so it's him plus something else. Makes more sense to me, all sentimentality aside, to move Krug.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It would hurt but that I could see. He's pretty much my favorite Bruins d-man so I want him to stay. If moving him is part of a deal that brings back a 1st/2nd line RW that isn't over 30, then it would be a good move.

I don't think anyone should be holding their breath on the Bruins bringing in anything resembling a Top 6 forward. Look at their cap now, and more importantly next summer. Where are they fitting in another high-priced forward?

I think it's far more likely they stay status quo this summer for the most part, and next summer they move out the final year of Krejci's deal so they can extend Krug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad